• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

20 Year Anniversary 9/11

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Let us pause today as we think back with reverence to the thousands of innocents who lost their lives in a callous, senseless, cowardly act of mass murder & terrorism.

A day that will live on forever in infamy. A day when Americans - across all of society & all walks of life - felt utterly vulnerable. The pain, shock, horror and despair of that day will be with us forever.

None of it seemed real to me, as I watched it unfold. I was convinced early on this was a movie shoot, a staged event of some sort. I simply could not let go of my *willing suspension of disbelief.* Everything changed the instant I watched in horror as the second plane hit.

My son was two years old at the time, neither of my daughters were born yet. It's amazing it's been twenty years.

I pray for better & more peaceful times ahead.

1631382470730.png 1631383590960.png

Last edited:
It's also my birthday which is another reason why I don't like Muslims.

Where where you on 9/11?

I was into day trading at the time the first plane hit. MSNBC or whatever channel had stock market info was on and they thought a small plane hit the tower. I also had Steeler Nation up and running. There was some back and forth online and then when the second plane hit we all came to the conclusion our country was under attack...When those towers came down it was totally surreal. I kept thinking about all the folks who had to be trapped and the first responders who went in to help not knowing what the hell was going on or what they were up against.

I was in the countryside of SW Virginia but at the time I felt vulnerable as did the entirely of the country. I was not worried about a plane crashing anywhere nearby but i thought for sure a dirty bomb was going to go off near DC and was worried we might close enough to feel the effects. I stocked up on canned goods, propane, and water that afternoon.

I'll never forget how quiet it was that night with absolutely no air traffic.

Last edited:
I was in my office when my wife called me and told me to turn on the news. I watched for awhile then saw the 2nd plane hit. I don't think I turned away from the news all day.

I remember the hope that the 1st plane was a accident. then the 2nd one hit and we all knew.

Do you guys remember the rumors spreading around that day? I was in Richmond Va at the time. Local news was saying that their might be as many as 10 planes highjacked, that their were trucks with bombs in them in front of multiple buildings in Richmond. etc..

My friend ran a restaurant in Alexandria Va. at the time. he was running trash out when a plane flew by at an extremely low altitude. He remembers thinking how he thought how unsafe it was. then a few minutes late the plane hit the Pentagon.

Was at work, and we were in a large corporate office at the time so there were like 1,500 of us just stunned & horrified looking at the TV. I too was hoping the 1st plane was an accident. Actually, I think it was just absolute shock and it didn't wear off for quite a long time.

Then we heard rumblings the FBI was getting tipped off on certain things prior to it and that there were people (scratch that, pond scum) taking flight lessons without learning how to land the damn plane.

Living on the pacific time zone.....so first plane hit before like 5:45second one just after 6am. I had a contractor that always liked phoning super early about work,it pissed me off but we did a lot of business together. I was talking to him and just yelled holly **** the second one just hit! as I was watching the news. Like many in the beginning I thought the first one was a small plane accident.

From a Canadian perspective in Vancouver,I went to work on a heritage house on the farm flats. It was so bizarre as all day above our heads big planes were circling and landing at Vancouver airport.

You are here-A come from away story.
This is a documentary on Gander ,Newfoundland. That day 6500 people landed in their small town airport,as of course the States shut down their airspace.If you want to watch something on 9/11 with a different perspective,you will laugh and have a few tears. And will come away with a deeper appreciation of what great neighbors Canada and the USA are. Give it a watch.

I remember the hope that the 1st plane was a accident. then the 2nd one hit and we all knew.
When we heard that a second plane hit the other tower I said right then that was no accident and probably the Muslims.

As mentioned, it's my birthday, everyone had just left my office and I sat down to finish my birthday cake when we first heard that a plane hit the WTC.
We had a small TV in the office that was only used for training videos but I dug out the rabbit ears antenna and taped it to the wall so we could watch the news.

I was between marriages at the time and my girlfriend worked at PPG in downtown Pgh and she called me and said they were told to evacuate the building and go home.

I was working at the arena in Nashville waiting on a vendor to meet me after he flew in from Boston that morning. We had the giant TV wall in the Predators Pro Shop playing the news when my worker called my office and told me to come see what was going on. By that time someone in the arena had turned on the news on all the TV monitors on the concourse. We were watching it on the wall in the store when the second plane hit. I had already called my wife and woken her up from a rare day sleeping in. We were in shock. The arena manager started making preparations to operate as the emergency shelter for Nashville if something happened. My vendor's dad called me and told me to call him as soon as he got there as his plane had left from Boston to Nashville just about the same time as the plane that hit the towers first. With all the mass hysteria for the airlines he was about two hours late getting in and I have never heard a happier man than when he called his dad to tell him he was in. We never did talk business that day. We went and bought him lunch downtown and got him checked into a hotel as his flight home was obviously canceled. The large "Batman Building" in Nashville was evacuated due to reports of a plane headed that way. We were a bit nervous at the Arena being right down the street. None of the bars were playing music as normal during the day and everyone was just sitting watching the news and getting very angry and sad.

That was the beginning of radical operational changes at the arena. We did not open the store to the public outside of games for the rest of the year as we had no direct access to the outside without people being able to just freely walk into the Arena. Doors previously left unlocked were all locked up and we had security everywhere. Events changed drastically with pat downs and bag checks. Nashville was very unified and the team went all out on support of the responders.

To this day my wife is an emotional mess on this day and is very active in making sure no one ever forgets what happened.

When we heard that a second plane hit the other tower I said right then that was no accident and probably the Muslims.

As mentioned, it's my birthday, everyone had just left my office and I sat down to finish my birthday cake when we first heard that a plane hit the WTC.
We had a small TV in the office that was only used for training videos but I dug out the rabbit ears antenna and taped it to the wall so we could watch the news.

I was between marriages at the time and my girlfriend worked at PPG in downtown Pgh and she called me and said they were told to evacuate the building and go home.
Cake for breakfast?

I was in middle management in the cube farm world. I heard about it on a the Bubba The Lovesponge morning show and thought it was a bit since the Bubba Show is the typical shock radio format morning guy. It went on for way longer than the normal air segments between commercial breaks so I started to doubt it was just a radio skit. I fired up the browser on my computer, the home page was set to MSNBC and they image of the second plane hitting was front and center 2/3 of the page. At that point I knew we were at war. I had been out of the Army less than 3 years at that point and tried to reenlist the next day.