• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2008: The beginning of the Steelers Ravens Rivalry

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Went down a rabbit hole on Youtube. Here's the first game with Flacco as their QB. Excellent game!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rn0tEE3PF-A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yeah this led me to click the next video which was the whole game for the 2008 AFC Championship.....

Meh that is nothing unless it is youtube highlights. How big where their heads?

I call them the Baltimore Browns for a reason...This was just a continuation of the old Steelers/Browns rivalry as far as I'm concerned. That team in Cleveland is an expansion team pretending to be someone they are not. If you grew up watching the real Browns in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, then you'll understand what I'm saying.

The younger guys are saying they never got to witness the "70s" STEELERS, well here is an EPIC periods of the STEELERS as well. That rivalry hasn't been paralleled since. It's a rivalry of epic hate but true respect. OZZIE or whomever was in charge decided to "copy cat" the entire STEELERS organization from top to bottom. They figured if they emulated the STEELERS, a very successful franchise, that it would pay off and payoff it has.

I think the rivalry has changed somewhat but still a very intense one. In it's peak both teams were making playoffs yearly. With the slipping of BOTH teams not making the playoffs in a staggered session it seems to have simmered a little. Now with the STEELERS looking to take the north and the Gavens recent champions, I can see that rivalry heating up again.

Makes for GREAT football.

Salute the nation

Went down a rabbit hole on Youtube. Here's the first game with Flacco as their QB. Excellent game!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rn0tEE3PF-A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ravens & Steelers Rivalry really started in 2000...2001.

The Ravens ran their mouths as Steelers popped them in mouth 4 straight games (incl playoffs) — Ravens only win came due to 4 missed FGs.

Winning Division on Sunday night with an *** whoopin in Baltimore and even Hines Ward knocking Woodson on his *** while Shannon Sharpe ran his mouth about Plexiglass....

And a Playoff game that was all Pittsburgh

Baltimore played starters because it was Pittsburgh in OT game in 2003 that was meaningless save for their win allowed us to draft Ben

They knocked out Maddox starting Big Ben era.

They kicked our *** in 2006.... and James Harrison coming out game on MNF in 2007 when Ben dropped 5 TDs on them in 1st half.

2008 didn’t start a rivalry... it was just aligned with first time the teams were both elite status since 2001

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Probably cause I live near Baltimore, i have thought of this as a rivalry from the get go. i recall maybe 2003-4? Jamal Lewis trying to break the NFL single season record. Played us the last game. we stopped him like 50 yards short. we lost the game but it got us Ben.

The Ravens ran their mouths as Steelers popped them in mouth 4 straight games (incl playoffs) — Ravens only win came due to 4 missed FGs.

Winning Division on Sunday night with an *** whoopin in Baltimore and even Hines Ward knocking Woodson on his *** while Shannon Sharpe ran his mouth about Plexiglass....

Baltimore played starters because it was Pittsburgh in OT game in 2003 that was meaningless save for their win allowed us to draft Ben

They kicked our *** in 2006.... and James Harrison coming out game on MNF in 2007 when Ben dropped 5 TDs on them in 1st half.

2008 didn’t start a rivalry... it was just aligned with first time the teams were both elite status since 2001

I'd even say the roots of the rivalry were planted in the late 90s when Steeler fans took over the Rats stadium. This left the first bad taste in the Rats fans mouths. "Baltimore is Steeler Country" the sign read. In 2000, they came up, and whipped us 16-0 on opening day. Rats fans unfurled a banner reading "Pittsburgh is Ravens country". Pissed me off a little. We beat them in Baltimore in the rematch, which was their final loss of the year. The Super Bowl didn't bother me, as I totally enjoyed the misery it induced in Cleveland. As you mentioned, the game in 2001 with the missed field goals is what really lit the fuse. The Steelers were so pissed about losing a game they dominated. The trash talk began to flow back and forth. The rematch became the most anticipated game of the year. The Steelers whipped them (Bobby Shaw with the Superman shirt), and we whipped them again in the playoff game, and the rivalry was on. A couple of years later, Joey Porter challenged them to come off the bus. In 2006, they basically body bagged Ben (Bart Scott), and we returned the favor a year later. What pushed it to the epic level is that the next year, the stakes consistently became enormous. This is one thing that the Cleveland rivalry, as good as it was, never had. The Steelers, and Browns have rarely been good at the same time. Not the case with Baltimore. Every game seemed to have a division title, or playoff spot on the line. It was like having the 70s Raiders in our division. I have a feeling that it's going to heat up again this year.

Don't forget Porter trying to fist fight Ray Lewis is the bus parking lot.

Probably cause I live near Baltimore, i have thought of this as a rivalry from the get go. i recall maybe 2003-4? Jamal Lewis trying to break the NFL single season record. Played us the last game. we stopped him like 50 yards short. we lost the game but it got us Ben.

He did top 2000 yards but if I recall correctly they were gunning for his breaking record.

That game was “best” loss” for us ever. The way they played hard showing the organization & mindset. Dick LeBeau cited it as decisive factor in coming back to Pittsburgh & it got us Ben in draft.

Their meaningless OT win resulted in 2 Super Bowl wins and reigning AFC North dominance the rest of decade