• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2021 Draft Profile: Alabama’s Najee Harris

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Leading up to the 2021 NFL Draft starting on April 29th, we will be releasing several draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Najee Harris (Running Back) Alabama, Senior​

Harris weighs in at 230lbs, standing at 6’2″. Arguably the best running back in the draft.

Overview:

From 5-star recruit out of high school, to potential top draft pick, being near the top of most people’s lists isn’t anything new for Najee Harris. Harris had the pick of the litter when he decided to attend Alabama, and he didn’t get that choice wrong. While it took a couple years for Harris to see significant playing time, once he did, there was no question his god given talents. As a junior in 2019, Harris looked like the total package. He became a runner that looked comfortable taking on defenders with his size, showed good vision, and showed great hands catching the ball out of the backfield. He would have been one of the top running backs in the 2019 NFL Draft, but shocking everyone he decided to return for his senior season. Harris proceeded to confirm everyone’s beliefs that he is a stellar RB prospect for the NFL who has very few weaknesses. All while helping Alabama win a National Championship in the process. Harris does everything well at a minimum, but the question is, can he elevate his game to the elite level in the NFL?

Pros:

• Size – Simply put, Harris possesses size at the running back position that only a few others share, and carries it very well
  • Very good quickness, especially for someone his size
  • Runs with power and rarely goes down on first contact because of it
  • Shows good vision and patience in his running style, won’t panic if a whole isn’t available immediately
  • Experienced pass catcher, can run more sophisticated routes than most running backs and plays the ball well
  • Willing pass blocker who isn’t going to chop and whiff, doesn’t shy away from engaging
  • Good ball security, 3 total fumbles across 700+ touches, only one lost
  • Always falls forward and rarely gets pushed back on contact
  • Can come in and start day one without needing to limit him in certain situations

Cons:

• Not many elite traits, very good at everything but not the best at any one thing
  • Pass pro technique needs some work, very willing but needs to firm up his base and hand positioning
  • Little resistance across his career as he had one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in the country
  • Lack of a top gear, gets up to speed quick but won’t outrun the faster linebackers or defensive backs

Steeler Nation is absolutely in love with the idea of Harris being selected by the Steelers in the 2021 NFL Draft. Even just watching games on TV throughout the season it was very easy to see why, as he makes an impact in many ways in every game.

Vison:

There are a lot of things to like about Harris when talking about his vision. Whenever there is a hole in front of him, he finds a way to get to it and to hit it. Even when the holes are small, he does a good job of getting skinny and getting through the line. He also shows good patience with the ball in his hands and if there isn’t a hole there immediately, he will take his time and wait to find one that develops. Only downfall he has in this area is will occasionally dance around if the hole isn’t right in front of him, which can cause holes to close up before he gets to them.

Running Style:

If someone wants to get back to the “Steelers way” of running the football, Harris is exactly that. He is a big bodied, tough, and physical runner who doesn’t shy away from contact. However he will not be considered a true power back like Eddy Lacy or Derrick Henry. Very rarely does Harris find a time where he is brought down by the first defender once he gets moving as most aren’t able to match his physicality. Upon contact he displays good balance and is able to still maneuver while gaining yards and staying upright. He has very good quickness for his size and isn’t limited for moves in the open field, whether it is going through, around, or over a defender. Some running backs coming out of college there are questions around his feel for running the ball in tight spots, but none of those are present with Harris.

Passing Game:

Don’t get it wrong, while Harris won’t ever be considered the next Christian McCaffrey, he is far from the next Jerome Bettis in the passing game. Harris can do anything asked in the passing game and opposing defenses will have to account for him. Whether it be running wheel routes, choice routes on linebackers, or slants out of the slot, he can do it and be a threat. When the ball is thrown to him, he does a good job to adjust to the ball location and is capable of catching it when located outside of his frame. He does have the occasional concentration drop over the years, but that is far from a real concern with him. In terms of pass protection, Harris is someone that can survive in the NFL day one, which most running backs coming from college can’t say. That isn’t to say Harris doesn’t have room to improve, because he can be beat due to not having consistent fundamentals, but he is better than most. Harris’ skillset in the passing game allows him to be a three down back on day one.

NFL Comparison – Le’Veon Bell:

Some people aren’t going to be a fan of comparing him to Bell with the iffy emotions with him, but it is a very fair comparison. Harris possesses better quickness than Bell coming out of college, but comparing him to Bell in the NFL, there isn’t much difference. Harris doesn’t have the meditation patience Bell has behind the line, which might be a good thing, but they look like the same guy playing the game.

Draft Projection – Late 1st/2nd Round Pick:

I’m not saying Harris would be my first pick for the Steelers at #24 overall, but he wouldn’t be a true reach if they went that route. Ideally they’d be able to get him in the second round or trade back and grab him, but the latter isn’t the Steelers way. There is a good chance Harris is the first running back off the board.

Let us know below what you think about Harris as a prospect, and let us know what other prospects you could be interested in seeing a profile on!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I would MUCH rather draft a T or C. He's 24 years old and our O-line can't run-block ants.

Harris or Etienne if they are there in round 1 is my pick. The RB will depend on the style of O Canada plans to run. Etienne may be better suited for a Canada style offense but Harris looks like a Steelers RB - big and powerful and has some speed but not a huge breakaway threat like Etienne is.

Harris or Etienne if they are there in round 1 is my pick. The RB will depend on the style of O Canada plans to run. Etienne may be better suited for a Canada style offense but Harris looks like a Steelers RB - big and powerful and has some speed but not a huge breakaway threat like Etienne is.
Not sure Etienne is the in between the tackles 3 down starter that some envision.

I am looking hard at tackles in 1 and QB to see if the value is there for one or the other.

Harris isn't on the top of my desire board not even second.

I actually prefer

1 Without a flaw Darrisaw
2 Up to the task Trask
3 Trade down for more picks in town
4 Yet another Steelers RB named-Harris
5 Daddy of the - Mac Jones

NOT a question in my opinion but id that quality LT is there at one and Harris also..............YOU go with the LT, draft 101.

RB is the fasted transition skill player from college to pro and can be found throughout the draft. I get the Harris bidding but our offensive line needs help, big time.

Salute the nation

Great player and would love to have him on the team, but is this team a title contender over the next five years because of not, he’s not going to help long term. Most running backs give you production for one contract and many top out production at 25-26 years old.

I want a 10-year investment in the first round. I’ll take my chances and trade a future 2022 pick to move up in the second to grab Williams.

I like Najee but sorry, I have to go with the big uglies up front first. What good is Najee if he has nothing in front of him. I want my LT and Center in rounds one and two respectively. Thats my two cents.

Can't run without a great OL. Doesn't matter who you draft to run the ball if the line stays the same.

I know the greater want is OL but Steelers know the want has to match the value. You don't want to draft a T early that will probably have to be G converted or a C who has the look of a career fringe starter. I fully expect them to bring in a C they plan on starting with Chukes and Banner out of the gates. (I know not the ideal presenting presentation)

I want a T and C early but I don't want to reach on one and leave clear unequal higher value sitting there. That is how you get the Burns, Troy Edwards, and the Edmunds type of prospects.

Ideally we do draft a T and C early. But to get that special T might require a trade up in 1 or before value drop off a trade up in 2.

I know the greater want is OL but Steelers know the want has to match the value. You don't want to draft a T early that will probably have to be G converted or a C who has the look of a career fringe starter. I fully expect them to bring in a C they plan on starting with Chukes and Banner out of the gates. (I know not the ideal presenting presentation)
An OL that features Okorafor and Banner on the outside with an unknown at center may surpass the 2008 OL in terms of poor play. That would be an absolute disaster to enter the season knowing fixing the OL was a priority.

An OL that features Okorafor and Banner on the outside with an unknown at center may surpass the 2008 OL in terms of poor play. That would be an absolute disaster to enter the season knowing fixing the OL was a priority.
Yep ..

they could always kick enough cans down the road where they could bring in a C and a LT. But LTs don't come cheap.