• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 NFL QB Draft Class Rankings; How Do They Stack Up For Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2022 NFL Draft is about a week away now, and it is no secret that the Pittsburgh Steelers have done their due diligence on this year’s quarterback class. Whether they take one or not is up for debate, but they definitely are making sure that if they do they vet them all properly.

I have studied each of the top five quarterbacks extensively over the last few weeks, and honestly this is the deepest any of us in Steeler Nation have dove into quarterback prospects in a long time.

With all that being said, I put together a ranking of the consensus top 5 quarterbacks in this year’s draft class. While the quarterbacks that make up the top 5 this year are pretty consistent no matter who you ask, the order people rank them varies wildly.

Below is my ranking of the top 5 QBs from this class, as well as a projected round I think they should be taken, and a comparison to an NFL quarterback.

Prospect​

Player Comparison​

Round Grade​

1. Malik Willis, Redshirt Senior , Liberty​

Tyrod Taylor​

1st​

2. Matt Corral, Redshirt Junior, Ole Miss​

Alex Smith​

1st​

3. Sam Howell, Junior, North Carolina​

Donovan McNabb​

2nd​

4. Kenny Pickett, Redshirt Senior, Pittsburgh​

Jared Goff​

2nd​

5. Desmond Ridder, Redshirt Senior, Cincinnati​

Ryan Tannehill​

2nd​

Breaking down the top 5 QB prospects for the Steelers​

1) Malik Willis

Starting off in the first spot is Malik Willis. He has been the consensus top quarterback for this class for most of the off-season, but that doesn’t mean he is far and away the best or that he doesn’t have some flaws of his own.

Steelers Malik Willis

Malik Willis In Lending Tree Bowl – Getty Images

Willis possesses the best tools of this class as well as the highest upside. His physical traits are tough to match, as he possesses a great blend of size, speed, and arm strength. Throughout his time at Liberty, he was a human highlight reel, as he was able to escape the pocket and either attack deep down the field, or take off for a large gain with his legs. He also was a great leader on the field, as his teammates were able to feed off of his energy.

However, Willis’ biggest downfall has always been his inconsistency. He could make a highlight reel play or lead a tremendous scoring drive, but follow it up with a series of poorly timed throws or him trying to do too much leading to negative plays. His mechanics also were very inconsistent throughout the years, especially in his lower body. Becoming more consistent with his decision making and mechanics will likely be his key to success in the NFL.

All of this leads to an easy comparison with current New York Giants quarterback, Tyrod Taylor. Both had very good arms and the ability to make plays with their legs at any given time, but the inconsistencies in their game has held them back in college. Taylor wasn’t given many starting opportunities throughout his time in the league, but that is something Willis will likely be afforded potentially being a top 10 pick.

2) Matt Corral

As the 2nd quarterback in this class, I have Matt Corral, and I am likely going to get highly criticized here as the #2 spot has been the most heavily debated spot for this QB class.

Matt Corral Steelers

Matt Corral – USA Today Sports

Corral has all the traits that a lot of coaches love to see. He is a fierce competitor, good leader, quick release, good arm strength, and very high level of accuracy to all levels of the field. He excels at getting the ball out of his hands quickly and putting his receivers in good spots to pick up yards after the catch. By no means will anyone consider Corral the next Michael Vick, but he has plenty of mobility to get outside the pocket or pick up some yards with his legs if needed.

Some of Corral’s positives work against him however, as he doesn’t have a lot of experience utilizing the whole field because of scheme they ran at Ole Miss. Corral was limited to a quick hit/RPO offense that didn’t offer many opportunities to go through progressions and work the ball deep down the field. Also he had to play through several injuries throughout the last two seasons, which is a testament to his toughness, but also could be a concern moving forward as he doesn’t have the thickest build.

I compared Corral to Alex Smith because they are similar players in the way they get the ball out quick and limit mistakes. Both quarterbacks excelled at making sure their playmakers are in good position to take advantage of extra yards after they catch the football while also taking timely shots down the field. Smith and Corral are both also solid athletes that won’t limit a play callers playbook and can extend plays out of the pocket.

3) Sam Howell

I went back and forth a couple times on who to rank third on this list, but I settled on Sam Howell due to his upside and physical traits that are hard to match.

Steelers Sam Howell

Sam Howell Throws Touchdown At Heinz Field – Getty Images

Howell is a solid athlete with a big arm that is able to make throws all over the field. He started for North Carolina as a true freshman due to his exceptional physical traits and was the talk of the town after throwing for 38 TDs. He has shown great feel for his pace of delivering the ball, being able to put balls on a rope or give them touch to get in over the top. After the snap, he shows a good job of working through his progressions and getting to his open receiver. While he is short, he has a very good build which has allowed him to take some hits as a runner that he was able to withstand without any injuries.

While he didn’t have many issues with his height in college, it could become an issue in the NFL barely topping 6 feet tall. In 2021, he tried to play superhero too often and would exit the pocket if his first read wasn’t open even though there wasn’t pressure, which often times would lead to him using his legs too often and not his arm. He did show some inconsistencies at times with accuracy on underneath throws, as well as rushing some throws when running RPOs. He did not look as comfortable within the offense in 2021 with less supporting talent, but will need to overcome that in the NFL.

I had a tough time finding a good comparison to Howell, but I came away with a solid one I feel in Donovan McNabb. Both quarterbacks have good mobility, a thick build, and a pretty strong arm. McNabb was more of a sprint out passer in college, but in the NFL, he learned one of the more complicated schemes and thrived due to his mobility and good decision making. Howell could follow a similar career path, but needs to learn that he needs to rely on the play design and not leave the pocket the first chance he gets.

4) Kenny Pickett

Having Kenny Pickett 4th on this list is likely going to get me some hate from Steeler Nation after he completed his college career playing his home games at Heinz Field.

Steelers Kenny Pickett

Kenny Pickett – USA Today Sports

If you’re an NFL team looking for a quarterback that might need to start games in 2022, then Pickett is probably your guy. He is likely the most NFL ready in this QB class and ran a pro-style offense in college. Pickett has the ability to read through a defense both pre and post-snap to take what the defense gives him without getting greedy. His mechanics are also already pretty well polished for a college quarterback and his accuracy shows it. Mobility isn’t his shining attribute by any stretch, but he has functional mobility that doesn’t limit him from getting outside the pocket when necessary.

While Pickett might be the most NFL ready in this class, he also might be the closest to his ceiling from the top group of quarterbacks as well. He is an older prospect (turns 24 before the 2022 season) and doesn’t possess any elite physical traits. He has average arm strength which can limit him at times to make throws to the far sideline down the field, while also limiting himself to his throwing options once he moves outside the pocket. He also appears to have a fumbling issue, as he has fumbled 38 times in his career including 6 in this past season.

This might’ve been my easiest comparison of this group, as both Pickett and Jared Goff are extremely similar. Both players had very successful college careers putting up solid numbers and came into the NFL as polished prospects ready to contribute early. Both also lack elite physical traits that could help them carry an offense outside of the standard framework and play calling, which limits them at times. Goff was able to get to a Super Bowl but was moved on from due to this.

5) Desmond Ridder

Last on this list is Desmond Ridder. Just because he is last however, does not mean he won’t have a successful NFL career.

F36DBE7D-7405-4E92-83C8-502A04E53F89.jpeg

Desmond Ridder Against Tulsa – USA Today Sports

Ridder helped turn the Cincinnati football program around, as he helped them accumulate a total of 44 wins across his four seasons as the starter, opposed to just 7 losses. He is a good leader that doesn’t let plays affect him on the field and always has the mindset of looking ahead to the next play. Overall, Ridder is a solid athlete, testing well at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine and showing mobility on the field. He has a good, quick release that is accurate and he showed the awareness of when he needs to put touch on passes.

Even though Ridder is a very good athlete, he does not possess much shiftiness in his game, meaning he won’t be someone that makes many defenders miss in the open field. He also only has an average arm, and it was evident when he was throwing outside the numbers as his accuracy and completion percentage drastically dropped in those situations. His mechanics vary from game to game, as when he feels pressure, he has a tendency to rush his motion and that is when his mechanics tend to get away from him.

Comparing Ridder to Ryan Tannehill was one of the easier ones to make, as both are long and athletic QBs that struggle when throwing outside the numbers in college. Neither quarterback has a strong arm, but do well extending plays and have shown the ability to make plays with their legs. Tannehill struggled early but has developed into a solid QB in a run first offense that thrives off of play-action, and that could be a similar role that allows Ridder to excel.

Well there you have it, my QB rankings for the 2022 NFL Draft Class. Let me know Steeler Nation what you think of it, and who you think I should have higher and who you think I am too high on!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

No way does Pickett make it to round 2.

Surprised you didn't say Baker for Howell, Matt.

1. Malik Willis - I can buy into the upside argument. He's got a rocket for an arm and arm talent is what wins in this league. Is it accurate enough? I suppose we'll find out. I'm concerned over his poor performances against good competition, but would hope they could tap into his potential.

2. Desmond Ridder - Ridder's intangibles are top notch and like Willis, I think Ridder has a pretty good upside. His problem is he lacks consistency from week to week.

3. Kenny Pickett - If the Steelers want to build a real, power blocking offensive line and win with old school, smash mouth football, Pickett is your guy. He's not going to put the team on his back and putting himself into pressure are a couple of negatives. However, he does everything well and should be a solid QB.

4. Matt Corral - Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like he has to develop quite a bit in terms of his progressions/reading the field and doesn't have the same upside as Willis.

5. Sam Howell - I don't see it with this guy. His play has regressed and he leans too much on his legs. His arm may be strong, but the rest of his game screams decent college QB, bad pro QB.