• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

49ers Insider Predicts Jimmy Garoppolo Traded To Pittsburgh By March 1

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well, this is the story that won’t die. But of course no reason for it to die until Jimmy Garoppolo is actually traded. The Pittsburgh Steelers are the census landing spot for Garoppolo from the national media. But then again so is every other name. We touched on that today with our story about Russell Wilson being a target for the Steelers.

Now the interesting part of this latest Garoppolo report is that it’s coming from The Atheltic’s Tim Kawakami, who is the editor-in-chief for their Bay area coverage. This isn’t a writer from Pittsburgh, or a national pundit, it’s actually someone that is in the ‘know’ of all things 49ers. Usually when Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speaks, it happens. The same can be said for Kawakami on the west coast.

Now, his first prediction is that Garoppolo will be traded by the end of the month. We have 5 days until it’s the end of the month. Of course trades can’t become official until March 16, but as we saw last season several moves will be known, but not ‘official’ until the NFL calendar year flips over. The 49ers have experience in this matter from when they traded Alex Smith early on after Colin Kaepernick led them to the Super Bowl. That deal was also agreed upon in late February with the Chiefs.

Then his second prediction is where it got really interesting. He predicts that the 49ers will send Garoppolo to Pittsburgh in exchange for a fourth round pick in 2022, and a conditional fourth round pick in 2023. He believes that teams won’t be willing to pay the high price tag that was reported earlier in the off-season of a 2nd round pick, because teams believe he is more of a placeholder until a real young franchise guy can come to town. Garoppolo is 30 years old, and that’s only still considered young if you’re Tom Brady.

Now if the Steelers can acquire Garoppolo for that type of value, it’s a smart idea. He’s going to eat up a little bit of cap room, but you can gain that all back with some restructures of TJ Watt, and Cameron Heyward. He also gives you a decent shot to win while you’re finding your next franchise quarterback.

Let’s not forget, Jimmy G did lead the 49ers to the NFC Championship game this year. If this trade does come to fruition it will be imperative that the Steelers fix the offensive line quickly. He won’t be able to take the abuse that Ben Roethlisberger did in 2022. He’s just not as tough, and is injury prone.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Put another log on the wood pile!

If true we'll end up taking on his 24 million base salary, so much for beefing up the O'line in FA. And Garoppolo can't function without a solid O'line.

Please, noooooo! If he couldn't win with the 49ers, why would we want him here with that bloated salary and dig into the cap?

If true we'll end up taking on his 24 million base salary, so much for beefing up the O'line in FA. And Garoppolo can't function without a solid O'line.

How do you know for certain the Steelers dont set forth some sort of prerequisite contract renegotiation/extension with Jimmy G, before they pull the trigger on the deal? Honestly, if this actually happens, I cant imagine such a prerequisite NOT being part of the deal

He is a game manager at best. The 49ers won this year because they ran the ball a ton and had a very good D. Jimmy G was not very good and never has been. There is absolutely no need for us to give up any picks and a lot of capital for any stopgap QB. It's just stupid to be honest. We can do the same thing with Rudolph or Trubisky or Winston or Mariotta. In our position, you definitely go with a free agent and draft a QB you love if the fall to you or you wait a year or two for a better draft crop. That is good business and the best for the team in the short term and long term. No QB is going to come in and get close to the Super Bowl with this current team. We have way too many needs. Shore up the DL and OL first. Then worry about everything else.

Mitch Trubisky career (27)
10,652 yards 64/38
1087 rushing yards 9 tds

Marcus Mariota career (28)
13,437 yards 77/45
1574 rushing yards 13 tds

Jimmy Garoppolo career (30)
11,852 yards 71/38
192 rushing yards 5 tds

Guess which ones don’t cost any draft picks? All three because Jimmy is going to get cut 😂

That is good business and the best for the team in the short term and long term. No QB is going to come in and get close to the Super Bowl with this current team. We have way too many needs. Shore up the DL and OL first. Then worry about everything else.
I cannot agree with or love this statement any more than I currently do...

Are we getting any comps this year? We dearly need one or two

49er front office probably pulled Kawakami aside and told him to throw something out there in the hope some team sitting on the fence will get nervous and offer the 49ers something, anything before they release him.

No way the Steelers take on that contract. Kawakami didn't exactly do his homework regarding the Steelers draft picks. There's been allot of rumors out here regarding Garrapolo's landing spot and many point at Pittsburgh because they have no clue that we need a hell of allot more than a QB and they over estimate Jimmy G's ability and value.

Too much money for someone who will likely be out half a season with injuries...

How do you know for certain the Steelers dont set forth some sort of prerequisite contract renegotiation/extension with Jimmy G, before they pull the trigger on the deal? Honestly, if this actually happens, I cant imagine such a prerequisite NOT being part of the deal
Exactly which goes with any QB they might trade for. If anyone can manipulate the cap the Steelers can. That hasn't been their problem. **** they sat on how much this last season? Their problem is decision making. I have faith in the people Khan etc. that run that area of the team.

Mitch Trubisky career (27)
10,652 yards 64/38
1087 rushing yards 9 tds

Marcus Mariota career (28)
13,437 yards 77/45
1574 rushing yards 13 tds

Jimmy Garoppolo career (30)
11,852 yards 71/38
192 rushing yards 5 tds

Guess which ones don’t cost any draft picks? All three because Jimmy is going to get cut 😂
Trubisky is consistently the guy I see with the lowest projected contract yet his success stacks right up there with the free agent options. That's why he's at the top of my list.

Is Jimmy G better than Rudolph? I'm not so sure. What has JG ever done? San Fran has mostly had a very good defense and run game. The passing game is very simple. Simple reads and throws. He has every advantage and he still comes up short. Why invest anything in a guy who will get you to the playoffs and no further?

I ask again, what has JG done that Rudolph can't?

If the steelers go after a vet then make him a cheap one or if you trade, go big for Wilson or Rodgers. This middle of road **** makes no sense

I can't wait for the Steelers to acquire/draft a QB so all of this speculation will be done and over with. good Lord!

Well...at least give me a few months before they start talking "QB controversy"

Pass on Jimmy.