• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alex Highsmith: “I just don’t want to get complacent”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After drafting outside linebacker Alex Highsmith with the 102nd pick in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ expectations were high heading into the new year. Yes, the Steelers did have Bud Dupree on the roster who was paired up with his Pro Bowl counterpart in T.J. Watt, so as you can imagine playing time was scarce and was going to have to be something Highsmith earned for himself.

Though much of the playing time he gathered his rookie season was due to Dupree suffering a torn ACL in a Week 11 win against the Baltimore Ravens, Highsmith still appeared in all 16 games, starting in five of them. During his rookie season, he tallied 2 total sacks, 5 tackles for loss and combined for a total of 48 tackles on the year. I wouldn’t say that these are stats that are going to catch anyone’s immediate attention, but they definitely show that this is a player worth being on the field.

That being said, going into this past season, the Steelers had lost Dupree, coming off the ACL injury, to the Tennessee Titans in free agency, leaving the second-year outside linebacker Highsmith next man up on the depth chart. There was confidence going through the Steelers organization about his off-season preparation and I believe the coaching staff felt comfortable pairing him with the All-Pro talent of Watt on his opposite side.

Due to what I believe to be Highsmith’s lack of NFL experience, the Steelers organization brought in former Pro Bowl outside linebacker Melvin Ingram to help bolster the depth chart and give immediate experience to a position of youth. Many were surprised as the Steelers had been vocal about their support of Highsmith’s progression throughout and don’t typically make too many free agent moves, but I think the transaction was understood at the time, especially for a team in a “win now” type of mode that they are in.

As we now know, Ingram requested a trade due to the lack of playing time he was getting throughout the first month of the season. The reason being, was Alex Highsmith. The Steelers were committed to giving Highsmith the playing time he needed in order to develop, as they felt he had earned that right within their system. Ingram was then traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, and Highsmith went on to triple his sack count (from two to six) and his tackle for losses (from five to 15) from his rookie season. The second-year linebacker saw his playing time increase to 76% of the Steelers’ defensive snaps, even after missing Week 3 with a groin injury. All in all, what goes to show is that Highsmith’s effort and preparation is what got him into this situation, and it doesn’t sound like he intends to stop anytime soon.

In a recent interview with Chris Adamski of Triblive.com, Highsmith discusses how he hopes to continue to improve going into his third NFL season:

“I just don’t want to get complacent. That’s the last thing I want to do in the coming year.”

“I just want to continue to get better. No matter if I am a Pro Bowler or All-Pro, I want to always continue to get better.”

“I can’t wait,” he said, “to get back to work.”​

The Steelers have high hopes for the Watt/Highsmith tandem for what I believe to be many years to come. Obviously, Watt is a freak of nature, but Highsmith seems to be the perfect pairing, as he did his part in helping Watt secure the NFL sack record this past season. If anything, the attention that Highsmith requires to opposing teams is going to give any one of our defensive lineman just that much more of an advantage. Who knows who is bound to reap the benefits this upcoming season.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE HERE : https://triblive.com/sports/alex-highsmith-vows-continued-improvement-for-steelers-in-22/

Do you think Highsmith is the long term answer opposite T.J. Watt? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think he is the short term ok answer. But it sure wouldn't hurt to bring in a pass rusher to spell him and Watt.