• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anyone else do Catholic Pre Cana class?

• Thread starter Thread starter POP
  • Start date Start date
P

POP

If left up to me, I wouldn't even have been married Catholic, but to keep the peace, I did (in laws super Catholic, mom is too).

Let's just say that the church is inconsistent and not logical.

I don't have anything against Catholics in general but when we got married, my wife was Catholic and I was a shoutin' Methodist. Basically just a pew sitter and willing to listen to "their side: before deciding on wedding .plans. I / we decided on a Protestant wedding for one reason only. The Catholic religion demands you raise your children as Catholics, which I was not willing to agree to do

Last edited:
My wife and I were both raised Catholic. We wanted to be married outside. The priest said this is not possible, you have to be married in a church. I said God is everywhere and we're getting married among his creations. They didn't like that, and now we're Quaker. They have a much more open, refreshing view of religion than the oppressive catholic system.

Reactions: MTC
I did. The church is consistent in its teachings. The members of the church are not at all consistent in following them. I can't say that we have always been.

I was raised Catholic, but stopped going to church in my early 20's. After having a child in my early 30's, I've gone back to church, but I'm now non-denominational and love it.

Things I dislike about the Catholic church
1). It is so scripted and routine (groundhog day-ish). Every Sunday is the same except for the homily. I never got much out of it due to the same boring routine.
2). I have a problem with calling the priests father. There is ONE FATHER and it sure ain't the priests or the pope.
3). I disagree with the whole celibacy of priests. Why can't they get married? They are just a man, a sinner, nothing more. Marriage is a gift from God, so why shouldn't a priest be allowed to find a wife.
4). I never considered getting married in the Catholic church. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a fee to sit through a boring class taught by someone who is not or will never be married. When a relative of mine was getting married, she wanted to get married in the Catholic church. They would not let her because her & her fiance were living together. She got married at another church instead and is no longer catholic.

Things I like about my non-denominational church:
1). They read and teach from scripture.
2). They apply the teachings to today's screwed up world.
3). They keep it interesting. For example, they have a once a year "ask anything" question and answer session.
4). The band rocks.

Now I don't have anything against Catholicism. To each his own. It just wasn't for me. There were many things I did not believe and/or agree with, and there are still some with my current church.
The key is Believing in Jesus Christ and following his teachings.

Last edited:
There are some things I like and don't like about the Catholic church. One of the main things that I like is the church does not necessarily believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible and respects scientific knowledge. I agree with you that priests should not have to be celibate. I also think women should be allowed to be priests. The formality and ceremonial aspect of it I do like, although I think some parishes and priests do a much better job of engaging people (especially young people) than others.

My pre-cana classes were taught by married Catholic couples...one newly married, one married for a long time. A priest gave a couple of talks on the sacramental and religious aspects of marriage, but not on married life.

While the church discourages cohabitating for sure and considers it a sin, I've never heard of anyone being denied the sacrament of marriage because of it. In fact most of the people in my pre-cana class were cohabitating and this was an issue that was discussed openly as part of the class, as the church felt preparation for marriage should be a little different in that scenario. Let's face it, they know most people aren't waiting for marriage anymore.

I did. The church is consistent in its teachings. The members of the church are not at all consistent in following them. I can't say that we have always been.

The Catholic Church says using birth control is "against God's will." Apparently, we are supposed to have sex and God then chooses if the act should bare children or not.

The concept is, if God wants you to have a dozen kids, you shouldn't alter that by using birth control.....all right. I find the notion pretty infantile and simple, but so be it, if that floats your boat.

BUT............... at my pre cana class, they spent a really long time teaching us the "rhythm method" of birth control. (It is very scientific when done right, and can be very effective at avoiding getting preggo if done right).

So, let me get this straight. Avoiding getting preggo using devices or drugs, such as the pill or rubbers, is frowned on my God, but achieving the same results via the rhythm method (which is accomplishing the same
goal, that is the avoidance of getting knocked up, thus not allowing God to decide if you get preggo), is some how all fine and dandy with God and the church.

Does anyone else NOT see what BS this is?

I am astonished that the church doesn't see this as double standards. It's mind boggling.

The Catholic Church says using birth control is "against God's will." Apparently, we are supposed to have sex and God then chooses if the act should bare children or not.

The concept is, if God wants you to have a dozen kids, you shouldn't alter that by using birth control.....all right. I find the notion pretty infantile and simple, but so be it, if that floats your boat.

BUT............... at my pre cana class, they spent a really long time teaching us the "rhythm method" of birth control. (It is very scientific when done right, and can be very effective at avoiding getting preggo if done right).

So, let me get this straight. Avoiding getting preggo using devices or drugs, such as the pill or rubbers, is frowned on my God, but achieving the same results via the rhythm method (which is accomplishing the same
goal, that is the avoidance of getting knocked up, thus not allowing God to decide if you get preggo), is some how all fine and dandy with God and the church.

Does anyone else NOT see what BS this is?

I am astonished that the church doesn't see this as double standards. It's mind boggling.

I get what you're saying. It really comes down to keeping the body open to the creation of life and not blocking that artificially, as well as responsibility, self-control and mindfulness when it comes to sexual relations and the gift of children.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/r...n/birth-control-and-nfp-whats-the-difference/

While I understand the doctrine and its spiritual roots, let's face it, the vast majority of Catholics ignore that directive. Just like a lot of people of a lot of faiths break a lot of the rules. Personally where my conscience drew the line was at birth control methods that are technically abortafacients. We did practice NFP for awhile, mostly because I liked the idea of a natural contraception method. Eventually it became a non-issue for us.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. It really comes down to keeping the body open to the creation of life and not blocking that artificially, as well as responsibility, self-control and mindfulness when it comes to sexual relations and the gift of children.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/r...n/birth-control-and-nfp-whats-the-difference/

While I understand the doctrine and its spiritual roots, let's face it, the vast majority of Catholics ignore that directive. Just like a lot of people of a lot of faiths break a lot of the rules. Personally where my conscience drew the line was at birth control methods that are technically abortafacients. We did practice NFP for awhile, mostly because I liked the idea of a natural contraception method. Eventually it became a non-issue for us.

I guess it didn't help that the lady who did the speech for this portion of the classes was waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to into the subject, more than bordering on creepy.

She was like the rhythm method champion. She drug her hubby into being part of the presentation, he his body language indicated that shooting himself may be a better idea than being part of the presentation.

It was kind of disturbing to see a woman so incredibly enthusiastic about measuring the temp of her Veegee. I remember it vividly. She resembled a chipmunk.

When I was Catholic and having sex, I had no problem not using condoms. I pulled out.

What's the religious stance on pulling out?

When I was Catholic and having sex, I had no problem not using condoms. I pulled out.

What's the religious stance on pulling out?

tumblr_n4oxp3HOie1s9od7wo1_400.gif