• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers Actually Bad at Drafting Wide Receivers? Average Maybe? It’s Been Antonio Brown and Who?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It’s pretty common to hear someone say the Pittsburgh Steelers know how to draft wide receivers. But is that true? Or is SteelerNation still living in the past? This question crossed my mind after reading a Facebook post from a friend, and former staffer here at SteelerNation.com. His name is John Walker, and if you want to follow a great and knowledgeable Steelers fan, you can check him out here.

Let’s take a look at every wide receiver selected under Kevin Colbert and how they’ve fared during their time in the NFL, and Pittsburgh specifically:

2020 – Chase Claypool (R2)
2019 – Diontae Johnson (R3)
2018 – James Washington (R2)
2017 – JuJu Smith-Schuster (R2)
2016 – Demarcus Ayers (R7)​

These are the most recent selections, and the one’s most fresh in everyone’s mind I’m sure. Despite what a lot of Steelers fans think, Johnson has turned into a true #1 receiver. They weren’t ever going to find another Antonio Brown, but they found someone that can get off the line of scrimmage in the same mold as Brown. He’s struggled with drop issues during his time, but he’s kept his head down and kept improving. The jury is still out on Claypool. If he’s able to grow and mature, he could turn into a dominate force in the NFL. He has the size, and speed to do it, it’s just a matter of if his ego is going to allow him to do it.

Smith-Schuster was a bonafide stud when he was playing opposite of Brown, but since then, he’s been average. Washington flashed brilliance. His ability to combat catch was amazing, but we saw it more in the preseason than we did in the regular season. He led the Steelers in receiving with Ben Roethlisberger sidelined in 2019, but was a ghost when Roethlisberger was on the field. Roethlisberger usually brings out the best in receivers, not vice versa. He will get a chance to show his skills in Dallas now.

Steelers Demarcus Ayers

Demarcus Ayers scores a touchdown against Cleveland | Steelers.com

Ayers was the fan favorite 7th round pick that everyone thought would make the team and develop. He got on the field a little bit near the end of the 2016 season, but ultimately was released during the playoffs. When the Steelers tried to sign him back to the practice squad, he balked and signed with New England instead. He was out of the league soon after.

Jury is still out on some of these guys, but for the time being, they drafted and developed one WR1 out of this group.

Next 5:

2015 – Sammie Coates (R3)
2014 – Martavis Bryant (R4)
2013 – Markus Wheaton (R3)
2013 – Justin Brown (R6)
2012 – Toney Clemons (R7)​

This just isn’t a good group. Bryant was possibly the greatest waste of talent in Steelers history. The dude had all of the tools. Size, good hands, and deadly speed for a tall dude. He could break the 10-yard slant and go to the house. He just couldn’t stay away from substances that would get you banned by the NFL’s rules. The fact that they got a draft choice from Oakland for him was one of the greatest heists in NFL history.

Steelers Sammie Coates

Steelers receiver Sammie Coates.

Coates and Wheaton had high expectations. Coates was released during training camp in his third season. He finished his NFL career with 29 receptions and he actually started five games for Pittsburgh in 2016. Wheaton spent two seasons as a starting receiver for Pittsburgh in 2014 and 2015. He had 97 catches and 7 touchdowns during those two years. Then in 2016, his season was riddled with injuries and he only played in three games. That was the final year of his contract and the Steelers choose to replace him in the draft with Smith-Schuster instead of bringing him back. He caught his final three NFL passes in 2017 with Chicago.

Clemons didn’t make the team in 2012. He spent time with Jacksonville, Carolina and San Diego as he bounced around the league for three years. He finished his career with 3 receptions. Obviously he was a 7th round pick, so not much is expected. But he ended up being just a toss away selection. Justin Brown in 2013 spent the entire season on the practice squad. In 2014, he started one game, and finished the season with 12 receptions for 94 yards. He’d spend the off-season with Buffalo in 2015 before being released among the first cuts.

So from 2012 to 2021, Colbert and company isn’t doing too well. Not even taking into consideration the poor late round receivers, they struck out on two third rounders, and a second rounder. If Johnson leaves after this season they’ll have nothing to show for any of them.

Previous 5:

2010 – Emmanuel Sanders (R3)
2010 – Antonio Brown (R6)
2009 – Mike Wallace (R3)
2008 – Limas Sweed (R2)
2007 – Dallas Baker (R7)​

Here is your bread and butter. Wallace in 2009, and Sanders and Brown in 2010. Wallace burst onto the scene as a rookie and his elite speed made him a very dangerous deep threat. He started 48 games for the Steelers, but the team wasn’t able to keep him when it came time for a new contract. They tried, but ultimately he turned them down and they turned to Brown and paid him instead. Sanders was the higher pick, but Brown was the elite one as we all know. Sanders was a bit of a disappointment in Pittsburgh. Injuries, and some untimely drops didn’t endear him to the fans. He’d go on to have a solid career that’s still going on. Wallace was never the same once he left Pittsburgh and bounced around to a few different teams before retiring.

Steelers Young Money

Ben Roethlisberger in the huddle with Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders. | USA Today

Brown would’ve had a shot at Jerry Rice‘s records if he didn’t go off the deep end. There isn’t a lot to say here about Brown that hasn’t been covered repeatedly for years. The guy’s talent and work ethic was unmatched. He could’ve had statues built of him in Pittsburgh had he not lost his mind. Colbert uncovered a diamond in the 6th round with Brown.

Sweed was one of the biggest busts in Steelers history. He was this huge Texas receiver that was supposed to go in the first round, but he slipped to the Steelers in the second round. And he was awful. He couldn’t catch, and he famously dropped a critical pass in the AFC Championship game and laid on the ground pretending to be hurt. The play caused the Steelers to burn an unnecessary timeout for an injured player.

Baker had one reception for the Steelers and was out of the NFL after one year.

This group is the group that further developed the narrative that Colbert and Tomlin could do no wrong when it comes to selecting receivers. These guys continued success in the league, paired with flashes in the pan like Wheaton, Smith-Schuster, and Washington has kept the narrative going all of these years. But everything began with a player on the next set of names.

NFL Career Totals for Steelers’ Young Money Receivers​

WALLACE: 538 RECEPTIONS 8072 YARDS 57 TOUCHDOWNS
SANDERS: 704 RECEPTIONS 9245 YARDS 51 TOUCHDOWNS
BROWN: 928 RECEPTIONS 12291 YARDS 83 TOUCHDOWNS

2006 – Santonio Holmes (R1)
2006 – Willie Reid (R3)
2005 – Fred Gibson (R4)
2002 – Antwaan Randle El (R2)
2002 – Lee Mays (R6)
2001 – Chris Taylor (R7)
2000 – Plaxico Burress (R1)
2000 – Danny Farmer (R4)​

Steelers Reid

Willie Reid tries to get up field against the Dolphins in 2007 / Getty

In Colbert’s first draft, he selected Burress with a top 10 pick. Burress had a shaky start to his career, but his talent was eventually tapped once he matured. He’d be a perfect pair with Hines Ward until he eventually left after his first contract. Had Ward not been there, the Steelers probably would’ve kept Burress, but the money went to Ward and they could only pay one. It was the right decision. Burress was a solid player for the New York Giants, winning a Super Bowl with them. His career was derailed when he went to jail, but he came back and eventually signed back with the Steelers for a final ride.

The other receiver taken that year was Farmer. He was a huge bust and didn’t even make it out of training camp. Which almost all 4th round picks are guaranteed a roster spot. He wasn’t and was released. The Cincinnati Bengals actually signed him and he spent three years there catching 43 passes. He caught his only career touchdown pass against the Steelers, and helped the hapless Bengals beat the Steelers late in the 2001 season.

Gibson was even worse than Farmer. Hard to believe, but he was also a 4th round pick and was released before the season started. He signed with the Miami Dolphins practice squad. Spent the entire season there, then bounced around to a few training camps, but never made an active roster. The next year they busted again with Reid. They tried the big Georgia receiver with Gibson and that didn’t work, so this time they went for the speedy shifty guy from Florida State. He sucked too. He was cut after his second season and finished his career with 4 receptions.

Mays stuck around the Steelers for several years. He was decent enough to keep making the team as a bubble player. He mostly contributed as a special teamer on coverage teams. As a rookie, he was the Steelers primary return man, but he didn’t keep that job in 2003. He had 11 receptions in his career.

Holmes was the player that started the narrative. He was a stud from the beginning, and he was thrust into the spotlight in his third season by making the greatest touchdown catch in team history and winning Super Bowl MVP. A lot of the other issues with Holmes are overlooked, and rightfully so in my opinion. But he had some off the field issues that ultimately got him traded to the New York Jets. He spent four seasons there, but never found the success he did in Pittsburgh. Randle El helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XL, and they got a fair amount of production, but he left town when his rookie contract was up. He fell into the same category as Burress. He was due for a large raise, but Ward was the one getting all of the money. The touchdown pass in the Super Bowl to Ward helped him cash in with Washington.

Steelers Santonio Holmes

Holmes celebrates his winning touchdown in SB 43 / ESPN

So there it is. It’s all laid out up there for you. There are some solid names, and one elite player. There’s also a lot of high expectations, no production. It’s a mixed bag that’s probably comparable to each team in the NFL when it comes to success on drafting a certain player. Chances of drafting stars is a lot less than that of drafting busts. But overall, the narrative is probably a little skewed because of the success of a small few over a long period of time.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

If the 2012-2020 drafts were held again, Claypool, DJ, JuJu and Martavius Bryant would all be drafted well ahead of where they were originally drafted. That’s pretty damn good.

How much did Daryl Drake, Richard Mann and Scottie Montgomery had to do with the selection and development of receivers. They were all very good WR coaches and under Mann and Drake. They got the most out of their receivers.

Great article Justin. While there have been a few diamonds there sure were a lot of busts. Out of the 23 drafted there will be no hall of famers. Unless AB gets in.
Another disturbing fact is how few got a second contract. In fact how few of ANY of our draft choices get second contracts.

Would love to see an article about every free agent signed in the same context as this article. I think it might be surprising how many were signed and how few made any impact whatsoever.

If the 2012-2020 drafts were held again, Claypool, DJ, JuJu and Martavius Bryant would all be drafted well ahead of where they were originally drafted. That’s pretty damn good.
Are you sure about this? Drafted well ahead? Claypool And JuJu were second round picks. You saying they should have been firsts ? So far I can’t agree.

Bryant.....pot smoking headcase. Gee. I wished we would have drafted him higher.🙂
DJ could have went a round higher into the second,maybe squeaked into the first. But that’s debatable.

Are you sure about this? Drafted well ahead? Claypool And JuJu were second round picks. You saying they should have been firsts ? So far I can’t agree.

Bryant.....pot smoking headcase. Gee. I wished we would have drafted him higher.🙂
DJ could have went a round higher into the second,maybe squeaked into the first. But that’s debatable.
Yes. Find 32 players from the same drafts that have better NFL resumes and would have been picked ahead of DJ, Claypool and JuJu. Find 100 players that would have been picked before Bryant.

Yes. Find 32 players from the same drafts that have better NFL resumes and would have been picked ahead of DJ, Claypool and JuJu. Find 100 players that would have been picked before Bryant.
Thats the problem… they aren’t looking at the overall picture of wrs just ours in a bubble… nor extenuating circumstances… would sammie coates been a bust had he not mangled his hand on special teams? He was a rising prospect until that and was never the same afterwards

And what about the fitchner/ hilliard factor? We have a clear cut point the offense fell of a cliff because of the OC… and the wr coach didn’t really seem to be on point getting these guys straight.. do we really want to judge the young wrs based off of that…

Weaton was incredibly average and sweed was just a mental headcase after that drop… neither were worth the picks they invested in them… ayer I thought was never given a real chance.. he started one game here and did ok. Seventh rounders aren’t exactly given high priority here…

Lets see how Washington and juju do outside of the org… if they do well then we draft fine… it’s currently developing and utilizing them that is the issue … if they both bust then maybe what we had was systemic success …

I still think the Steelers are very good at drafting receivers. Obviously AB is at the top of the list, but just the depth at the position is impressive. Wallace, Sanders, JuJu, and Johnson were all very good starters. Claypool, as frustrating as he can be, still has a ton of upside and is a productive option while Bryant, despite being a knucklehead, was one of the more dangerous options in the league. Wheaton and Washington were both role players. Compare the success rate on wide receivers to other positions (ex. defensive backs) and the Steelers are good at finding receivers.

Like him or not, having antonio brown for 10 years made some of the other WRs look very good. Constant draw of coverage and scheming to stop contributed to other WR's success here.

That had to help make it look like the STEELERS were the WR experts.

NO, not all credit goes to the little chest but he was a contributing factor regardless of what he became.

Yes credit the scouting department / coaches / GM / ect. as well.

Jury is out on both Deonte Johnson and Chase Claypool but know this is a critical year for both in determining their statis as to greatness within their trade.

Feriermuth is etching that dirrection as well.

Salute the nation

I think historically the Steelers have been excellent at drafting WRs. The decline at that position has been due to our OL, dumb as f#ck OCs and the decline in Ben's play at the end of his career.

There is something to this.

2013-2021 we have used a 2nd, 3rd or 4th to draft a pass catcher 9 times (including Dri Archer)

JuJu & DJ were home runs. Freiermuth looks to be the real deal. Claypool has unlimited potential and we’ve seen glimpses.

But dang, Wheaton, Bryant, Coates with the worst draft picks being Archer - who shouldn’t have been drafted and James Washington - who never even got a chance since we just kept taking WRs. Using a 2nd round pick at a position we didn’t need help at with 2 top level OTs on the board hurts.

Not to mention all those WRs and we ignored the secondary every year

Martavis Bryant had 126 receptions for 1917 yards and 17 TDs in 36 games with the Steelers as a fourth-round pick. I know he had his off-field problems, but he was a very good draft pick worth the risk. When on the field, he produced.

I still think the Steelers are very good at drafting receivers. Obviously AB is at the top of the list, but just the depth at the position is impressive. Wallace, Sanders, JuJu, and Johnson were all very good starters. Claypool, as frustrating as he can be, still has a ton of upside and is a productive option while Bryant, despite being a knucklehead, was one of the more dangerous options in the league. Wheaton and Washington were both role players. Compare the success rate on wide receivers to other positions (ex. defensive backs) and the Steelers are good at finding receivers.

They also had Ben Roethlisberger throwing to them. Besides Emmanual Sanders, name one WR who's gone on to do anything (AB's brief stint really doesn't count to me)?

I'm not saying the Steelers are bad at drafting WRs, I'm more saying that Ben was just that good and got the most out of who he had to throw to.

Great article Justin. While there have been a few diamonds there sure were a lot of busts. Out of the 23 drafted there will be no hall of famers. Unless AB gets in.
Another disturbing fact is how few got a second contract. In fact how few of ANY of our draft choices get second contracts.

Would love to see an article about every free agent signed in the same context as this article. I think it might be surprising how many were signed and how few made any impact whatsoever.
Is that what dictates whether we are good at drafting WR's? Whether they are HOF bound or not? Really? Doing a quick google search states there are 14 players in the HOF that are listed strictly as a WR. Go figure.

They also had Ben Roethlisberger throwing to them. Besides Emmanual Sanders, name one WR who's gone on to do anything (AB's brief stint really doesn't count to me)?

I'm not saying the Steelers are bad at drafting WRs, I'm more saying that Ben was just that good and got the most out of who he had to throw to.
Sanders and Wallace both had productive careers after leaving.
JuJu and Washington will get their opportunity.
Wheaton wasn't any good after Pittsburgh.
Bryant never really had a chance because of off field issues.

Sanders and Wallace both had productive careers after leaving.
JuJu and Washington will get their opportunity.
Wheaton wasn't any good after Pittsburgh.
Bryant never really had a chance because of off field issues.

Forgot about Wallace. He had a good season with both the Dolphins and Ravens.

I think JuJu will show everybody it was a mistake to let him go. On the fence about Washington, and I really liked him for a while. Just seemed to really regress last season.

Sammie Coats wasn't released, it was a rare interdivisional trade at the end of the preseason. We traded him to the Browns for a 6th.

Also interesting to note that all of these WRs (minus Sanders) had their best years with Ben. Ben is the catalyst that made WRs great here. We may have some trouble finding new great receivers until we get a QB that can throw to their strengths.

I don’t call anyone who was drafted after the third round a bust since after that you aren’t expecting much. The only bust in recent years was Sweed. Everyone one else in R 1-3 was at least decent.

Martavis Bryant had 126 receptions for 1917 yards and 17 TDs in 36 games with the Steelers as a fourth-round pick. I know he had his off-field problems, but he was a very good draft pick worth the risk. When on the field, he produced.
Plus the pick the Steelers got in the Faiders trade.

Forgot about Wallace. He had a good season with both the Dolphins and Ravens.

I think JuJu will show everybody it was a mistake to let him go. On the fence about Washington, and I really liked him for a while. Just seemed to really regress last season.
The Steelers offered a contract to JuJu, he chose to go elsewhere this year. It was probably the best for both sides.

The Steelers offered a contract to JuJu, he chose to go elsewhere this year. It was probably the best for both sides.

Do we know how much he was offered? Thought his family were die-hard Steelers fans & by all accounts liked Pittsburgh, but may be confusing him w/ someone else.

Do we know how much he was offered? Thought his family were die-hard Steelers fans & by all accounts liked Pittsburgh, but may be confusing him w/ someone else.
“Going with the Steelers and what they offered me, it wasn’t what I wasn’t looking for,” Smith-Schuster said. “I needed to go somewhere where I’m able to play that one year, just play and ball. And, so, the Chiefs were the best fit for me. So I took the opportunity. Last year I stayed because I wanted to play with Ben (Roethlisberger) and play with my guys one more year, trying to make a run for it. We fell short. Injuries actually happen. Being able to come back to a team that wants me twice in back-to-back years of free agency shows a lot.”

It was definitely a multi-year deal and likely less than what he made last year. His deal is cheap with the Chiefs, but potential to get higher with incentives. He wanted that potential earning for this year and more importantly wanted to recover his career and cash in next year.

“Going with the Steelers and what they offered me, it wasn’t what I wasn’t looking for,” Smith-Schuster said. “I needed to go somewhere where I’m able to play that one year, just play and ball. And, so, the Chiefs were the best fit for me. So I took the opportunity. Last year I stayed because I wanted to play with Ben (Roethlisberger) and play with my guys one more year, trying to make a run for it. We fell short. Injuries actually happen. Being able to come back to a team that wants me twice in back-to-back years of free agency shows a lot.”

It was definitely a multi-year deal and likely less than what he made last year. His deal is cheap with the Chiefs, but potential to get higher with incentives. He wanted that potential earning for this year and more importantly wanted to recover his career and cash in next year.

And to play with a potential future HoF QB. Makes sense.