• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are we seeing the end of the "American Dream?"

• Thread starter Thread starter POP
  • Start date Start date
P

POP

http://moneyweek.com/the-end-of-the-american-dream/

All real indications say the American Dream is dying and on it's way to being dead.

And yet, Obama comes out and tells us how great everything is in our economy.

They are lying to us.

Our country is being systematically torn down. It ain't happening my accident. The globalists want this collapse to happen. It's being sought and engineered.

And poor Joe Six-pack has no idea what's going on.

The American Dream is racist. Now stop hating on the First Black President (FBP). He's doing His best to fix it.

Yes, we are losing the American dream. It's not dead yet, but its approaching a cross road to dark clouds.

The good news is hope and political willpower is hallmarks of our economic history.

There have been down periods before. It takes a visionary leader type like FDR or Reagan, to get us out of trouble.

With the economy is going global, the USA needs to ease the burden on corporate tax laws, make it easier to repatriate funds overseas without being taxed as heavily, and crack down on illegal immigrants taking jobs that Americans would take once the demand for that particular labor went up through the laws of supply and demand. I also think regulations and insurance are a little high. Make it easier to do business domestically.

If all the above were fixed, the economy would boom and millions of USA jobs would be added.

Corporations shift resources away from the USA to make more $$$ and avoid our regulation laws. The result is a decreasing middle class, which has slid backward to the tune of about $5,000.00 a year under Obama, despite record low fed interest rates.

The american dream is dead. Only very few will ever earn enough and/or be savvy enough with thier personal finances to achieve it.

The American Dream is what it is, still a Dream. The American Nightmare (last eight years) is done, time to wake up. Don't let those Democrats dumb down your ambitions hopes and dreams. It ain't over and no fat lady is warming up. Fat Pig Lady Clinton will go down like a five dollar *****.

Trump 2016 - Keeping the Dream Alive.

The american dream is dead. Only very few will ever earn enough and/or be savvy enough with thier personal finances to achieve it.

It depends on how you define it. If the dream is a home, a family and enough money to enjoy both, it's still alive. At least people here are free.

Planning and education need work. People do not save or invest correctly and often buy a home they can't afford or one that prevents them from doing other things with their income.

It takes a visionary leader type like FDR
Yes! Another Bernie Sanders supporter! I knew you'd come around, good job Coach.

...the economy would boom and millions of USA jobs would be added.
Exactly.

World-wide the middle class is growing exponentially, which means anyone with an entrepreneurial mind-set
can make as much as they are willing to work for. For people who prefer whining to working, the Dream
never existed in the first place.

Yes! Another Bernie Sanders supporter! I knew you'd come around, good job Coach.

Exactly.

Actually, FDR said his programs were not working for years, but something had to be done to get the nation out of a great depression and the strain of world war two.

In a similar fashion, Trump sees the decline of USA based business and wants to bring them back home. He sees unfair trade as well. This is a A pro-Union, working class type of message that anyone who pays taxes needs to vote for.

What business could he bring home? The jobs we have mainly lost are manual labor and we lost them because capitalism
seeks lower costs to maximize profit. The only way he can bring them back is to lower the cost of our labor to be competitive
with oversees labor. China is even losing these jobs because their labor cost has risen, while other countries are now lower.

The one thing that needs to be done to prevent the loss of future jobs is to install a Single Payer Health System here that brings
our health costs in-line with world economies. Our companies have the burden of paying for high cost healthcare for their
employees while companies they compete against in other countries do not have that cost burden.

It depends on how you define it. If the dream is a home, a family and enough money to enjoy both, it's still alive. At least people here are free.

Planning and education need work. People do not save or invest correctly and often buy a home they can't afford or one that prevents them from doing other things with their income.

I believe MOST consider the "American Dream" to be reasonable working hours, making a good enough wage to own a house, two cars, food on the table, kids in college and being able to retire comfortably.

I know a good deal of people who have recently completed that journey, but there are fewer and fewer people able to do that these days. The common man is being squeezed. The game is rigged all for corporations
to make out, but screwing the people over more and more and more. Our govt. has abandoned the people. And with rigged elections and total control of the media, they don't even have to worry about it. They don't
care two ***** about the people anymore.

The middle class is being torn down. It is the fiber that helped make this country great. The commies couldn't live with our shining example of what a truly prosperous society is made of.

I believe MOST consider the "American Dream" to be reasonable working hours, making a good enough wage to own a house, two cars, food on the table, kids in college and being able to retire comfortably.

I know a good deal of people who have recently completed that journey, but there are fewer and fewer people able to do that these days. The common man is being squeezed. The game is rigged all for corporations
to make out, but screwing the people over more and more and more. Our govt. has abandoned the people. And with rigged elections and total control of the media, they don't even have to worry about it. They don't
care two ***** about the people anymore.

College was not a central part of the American dream until recently. Something like 70% of the population does not have a degree. You could argue it is becoming more of an issue.

Why?

College is becoming a diving line between getting a good paying job, though, and with rising tuition costs ( These colleges make lots of $$$ and are tax exempt ) the middle class, and working class has a tougher time paying for it and those who take loans are often burdened by them for years

"Among millennials ages 25 to 32, median annual earnings for full-time working college-degree holders are $17,500 greater than for those with high school diplomas only. "

Multiply this by 40 working years, and you have a $700,000.00 career earning for those who attended college vs those who did not.

If this trend continues, you might see multiple family generations living in very large hosues. I see it in my community. It's a new construction gated community. In the largest models, it's not uncommon to see two or more families living under the same roof to save money. Granted these models are 3500-4000 square feet. Most of the residents frown upon it.

I believe that the loss of multi-generational family living has contributed to many of our societal ills. Families were able to support each other in ways that are not possible in today's hectic and splintered world.

Get rid of the stench coming from the White House first, then we'll talk

obamalegacy-vi.jpg

I don't know. I make about 250k more per year than my dad ever did. In my opinion work harder than the next guy and you get places in life. The American dream is still alive. You just gotta work your *** off to get it. and there is nothing wrong with that. Not many people are really willing to work hard.,work extra, work weekends. A lot if people don't want to fight to get ahead. No one owes us anything we have to fight for it.

getting of my soapbox now.

I don't know. I make about 250k more per year than my dad ever did. In my opinion work harder than the next guy and you get places in life. The American dream is still alive. You just gotta work your *** off to get it. and there is nothing wrong with that. Not many people are really willing to work hard.,work extra, work weekends. A lot if people don't want to fight to get ahead. No one owes us anything we have to fight for it.

250k or 25K?

Just working hard is no longer a guarantee to being well off. I know people with two jobs, work all the time, and live pay check to pay check. I know guys with PHD's delivery pizzas.

I know guys who had long military careers but are still getting up at 3 AM to drive people to the airport.

The better paying jobs are just not out there anymore, or, I should say there is less of them and the arrow is pointing down.

America barely produces anything anymore. People used to make clothing, steel, TVs, all kinds of stuff. We don't make much of anything here anymore, and those who do, get paid low wages.

You cannot have prosperity from a "service only" economy. It just won't work.

Just working hard is no longer a guarantee to being well off. I know people with two jobs, work all the time, and live pay check to pay check. I know guys with PHD's delivery pizzas.

I know guys who had long military careers but are still getting up at 3 AM to drive people to the airport.

The better paying jobs are just not out there anymore, or, I should say there is less of them and the arrow is pointing down.

America barely produces anything anymore. People used to make clothing, steel, TVs, all kinds of stuff. We don't make much of anything here anymore, and those who do, get paid low wages.

You cannot have prosperity from a "service only" economy. It just won't work.

It may not be as easy as it was back in the day, but it can still be done. you just got to find a way to do it. and to be honest with you most people don't want to put the hard work in to get there. I also know guys that are highly educated that have underpaying jobs. I get that. but their is another side of that. some people just put their head down and work I am a pretty good example of that. I grew up very poor. no chance of going to collage, but am making a pretty decent living. my brother is another great example. He started bussing tables at a local restaurant in high school. most of his friends went onto collage, he stayed at the restaurant. Promoted several times, cook,server, asst. manager, manager worked his way up to being a regional manager. he made over 300k last year with zero collage debt to pay off.

I know what you are saying and I agree it is harder to get ahead these days. but people who put their head down and work hard, tend to make it.

The middle class is being torn down. It is the fiber that helped make this country great. The commies couldn't live with our shining example of what a truly prosperous society is made of.

In my little corner of southwestern PA in 1970 the median income was $36,000. After the steel industry evaporated taking good-paying middle class jobs with it, in 2010 the median income, unadjusted for inflation, was $36,000.

Last edited:
In my little corner of southwestern PA in 1970 the median income was $36,000. After the steel industry evaporated taking good-paying middle class jobs with it, in 2010 the median income, unadjusted for inflation, was $36,000.

You sure that's unadjusted? I think median household income in 1970 was about $9,000.

You sure that's unadjusted? I think median household income in 1970 was about $9,000.

It was in a copy of Pittsburgh Magazine that I had from a few years ago.

Obama and the libtards have pretty much killed the American Dream. When everything is given to you, there is nothing to work for and nothing to Dream about. Oddumma and the libtards have destroyed this country and it may not be salvageable even if Trump were elected.