• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Article on Michelle Obama/insightful read

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
https://www.americanthinker.com/art...rmative_action_screwed_up_michelle_obama.html

"In 1985, Michelle Obama presented her senior thesis in the sociology department of Princeton University. Although Michelle drew no such conclusion, the thesis is a stunning indictment of affirmative action. Those who benefited from it, Michelle most notably, may never recover from its sting.

Her thesis reads like a cry for help. "I have found that at Princeton no matter how matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me," she writes, "I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as I really don't belong."

She didn't. Michelle should never have been admitted to Princeton. Thanks to the "numerous opportunities" presented by affirmative action, however, Princeton is where she found herself. "Told by counselors that her SAT scores and her grades weren't good enough for an Ivy League school," writes biographer Christopher Andersen, "Michelle applied to Princeton and Harvard anyway." Sympathetic biographer Liza Mundy writes, "Michelle frequently deplores the modern reliance on test scores, describing herself as a person who did not test well."

She did not write well, either. She even typed badly. Mundy charitably describes the thesis as "dense and turgid." The less charitable Christopher Hitchens observed, "To describe [the thesis] as hard to read would be a mistake; the thesis cannot be 'read' at all, in the strict sense of the verb. This is because it wasn't written in any known language."

Hitchens exaggerates only a little. The following summary statement by Michelle captures her unfamiliarity with many of the rules of grammar and most of logic:

'The study inquires about the respondents' motivations to benefit him/herself, and the following social groups: the family, the Black community, the White community, God and church, The U.S. society, the non-White races of the world, and the human species as a whole.'

The design of the thesis is a disaster, but the idea behind it is not a bad one. Michelle wanted to gauge the attitudes of black Princeton alumni on a range of variables. She sent her survey to 400 alumni; 89 responded, 60 percent of whom were male, 80 percent of whom were between the ages of 25 and 34.

The survey is a stark exercise in black and white. Michelle never uses the phrase "African-American." It had apparently not yet entered the lexicon. Nor does she retreat to phrases like "people of color" or "minority groups." In her world, there are only black people and white people.

White people intimidate her, as they appear to do to many of the alumni. Although most of the survey results are either impossible to decipher or irrelevant, one set of data is worth attention. The alumni were asked whether they felt comfortable around whites.

On the question of social comfort, 17 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 6 percent while at Princeton, and 2 percent post-Princeton.

On the question of intellectual comfort, 24 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 8 percent while at Princeton, and 8 percent post-Princeton. As Michelle notes, black students were forced "to compete intellectually with whites." For those like herself who didn't test well, the competition had to deliver a body blow to the old self-esteem.

"Blacks may be more comfortable with Whites," Michelle hypothesizes, "as a result of a greater amount of exposure to whites in an academic setting while at Princeton." This was standard academic cant then. It still is today. In fact, the exact opposite happened. On the question of general comfort, 13 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 4 percent while at Princeton, and only 1 percent post-Princeton. Michelle had stumbled upon a seriously inconvenient truth.

Michelle was not among the one percent. As a senior at Princeton, for instance, she imagines herself going forward "on the periphery of society; never becoming a full participant." In a sense, she never let herself.

Having learned little from her Princeton experience, Michelle applied to Harvard Law and was admitted for the same reason her husband would later be — not the content of her character, but the color of her skin. The obvious gap between her writing and that of her highly talented colleagues marked her as an affirmative action admission, and the profs finessed her through.

One almost feels sorry for her. She had to have been as anxious as Bart Simpson at Genius School, but Bart at least knew he was in over his head, and he understood why: he had cheated on his I.Q. test. "It doesn't take a Bart Simpson to figure out that something's wrong," he tells the principal and demands out.

If there is a "white privilege," Bart nailed it: when "something's wrong," he has to look within. He can't blame the white man for his problems."

Last edited:

There's some density in her skivvies.

D0YnUQFWkAAUArc.jpg

And Michelle hid her junior thesis when hubby ran for President, trying to hide its theme - "Oh, poor me, I feel like an outsider at the best college on earth in the best nation on earth" - and apparently the very, very bad writing.

What a fraud.

That article is mostly subjective. I could care less about Michelle Obama either way but that article is one person's opinion. Without providing the thesis along with others that were supposedly better. With out that this article is poor writing

That article is mostly subjective. I could care less about Michelle Obama either way but that article is one person's opinion. Without providing the thesis along with others that were supposedly better. With out that this article is poor writing

You may not know what a junior thesis at Princeton is supposed to be; I do. It is NOT an opinion piece, and instead an analytical, science-based review, with statistical support, of a thesis.

My writing - with much better word usage and reasoning than Mooshell's work, of course - a paper outlining my personal opinion would not constitute an acceptable junior thesis.

You may not know what a junior thesis at Princeton is supposed to be; I do. It is NOT an opinion piece, and instead an analytical, science-based review, with statistical support, of a thesis.

My writing - with much better word usage and reasoning than Mooshell's work, of course - a paper outlining my personal opinion would not constitute an acceptable junior thesis.

Kudos. I was about to write a similar response. Besides the analytical, science based review the paper should be written in correct grammar and syntax. That is not subjective in anyway, shape , form or fashion. I had to write a thesis for my M.A. degree. My professor read my first draft and wrote all over it with red ink. I had to go back and correct a lot of it. Spacing, punctuation, commas ETC... But my grammar, syntax and basic thesis were on point. Fact is Obama was out of her league and she knew it. That's why she felt the way she did back then. Not because of her skin color but because she knew she wasn't smart enough to be there. But that's what black privilege gets you.

Kudos. I was about to write a similar response. Besides the analytical, science based review the paper should be written in correct grammar and syntax. That is not subjective in anyway, shape , form or fashion. I had to write a thesis for my M.A. degree. My professor read my first draft and wrote all over it with red ink. I had to go back and correct a lot of it. Spacing, punctuation, commas ETC... But my grammar, syntax and basic thesis were on point. Fact is Obama was out of her league and she knew it. That's why she felt the way she did back then. Not because of her skin color but because she knew she wasn't smart enough to be there. But that's what black privilege gets you.

Don't pay too much attention to Tibs jr. He is trying his best to fill a big pair of Hungarian shoes. But, like any pipsqueak trying to be like big brother, he usa;lly falls short. It's best to just ignore it.

Nobody's impressed, TJ.

That article is to long to read as I do not care about the subject 1 bit

That article is to long to read as I do not care about the subject 1 bit

Let me sum it up in my usual pithy style:

Mooshell's paper was poorly written, stupid, and barely literate yet she passed the Princeton junior thesis requirement and went to Harvard law because racism.

https://www.americanthinker.com/art...rmative_action_screwed_up_michelle_obama.html

"In 1985, Michelle Obama presented her senior thesis in the sociology department of Princeton University. Although Michelle drew no such conclusion, the thesis is a stunning indictment of affirmative action. Those who benefited from it, Michelle most notably, may never recover from its sting.

Her thesis reads like a cry for help. "I have found that at Princeton no matter how matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me," she writes, "I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as I really don't belong."

She didn't. Michelle should never have been admitted to Princeton. Thanks to the "numerous opportunities" presented by affirmative action, however, Princeton is where she found herself. "Told by counselors that her SAT scores and her grades weren't good enough for an Ivy League school," writes biographer Christopher Andersen, "Michelle applied to Princeton and Harvard anyway." Sympathetic biographer Liza Mundy writes, "Michelle frequently deplores the modern reliance on test scores, describing herself as a person who did not test well."

Speculation...what were her tests scores. How many or what % got in with better or worse scores. How many were black, how many were white? What exact opportunities did she use?

She did not write well, either. She even typed badly. Mundy charitably describes the thesis as "dense and turgid." The less charitable Christopher Hitchens observed, "To describe [the thesis] as hard to read would be a mistake; the thesis cannot be 'read' at all, in the strict sense of the verb. This is because it wasn't written in any known language."

Typed badly?!? How does he/she know how well she typed? Rest of it is 2 people who didnt like it aka opinions

Hitchens exaggerates only a little. The following summary statement by Michelle captures her unfamiliarity with many of the rules of grammar and most of logic:

'The study inquires about the respondents' motivations to benefit him/herself, and the following social groups: the family, the Black community, the White community, God and church, The U.S. society, the non-White races of the world, and the human species as a whole.'

The design of the thesis is a disaster, but the idea behind it is not a bad one. Michelle wanted to gauge the attitudes of black Princeton alumni on a range of variables. She sent her survey to 400 alumni; 89 responded, 60 percent of whom were male, 80 percent of whom were between the ages of 25 and 34.

The survey is a stark exercise in black and white. Michelle never uses the phrase "African-American." It had apparently not yet entered the lexicon. Nor does she retreat to phrases like "people of color" or "minority groups." In her world, there are only black people and white people.

White people intimidate her, as they appear to do to many of the alumni. Although most of the survey results are either impossible to decipher or irrelevant, one set of data is worth attention. The alumni were asked whether they felt comfortable around whites.

On the question of social comfort, 17 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 6 percent while at Princeton, and 2 percent post-Princeton.

On the question of intellectual comfort, 24 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 8 percent while at Princeton, and 8 percent post-Princeton. As Michelle notes, black students were forced "to compete intellectually with whites." For those like herself who didn't test well, the competition had to deliver a body blow to the old self-esteem.

"Blacks may be more comfortable with Whites," Michelle hypothesizes, "as a result of a greater amount of exposure to whites in an academic setting while at Princeton." This was standard academic cant then. It still is today. In fact, the exact opposite happened. On the question of general comfort, 13 percent of the respondents claimed to have been comfortable with whites before Princeton, 4 percent while at Princeton, and only 1 percent post-Princeton. Michelle had stumbled upon a seriously inconvenient truth.

Michelle was not among the one percent. As a senior at Princeton, for instance, she imagines herself going forward "on the periphery of society; never becoming a full participant." In a sense, she never let herself.

Having learned little from her Princeton experience, Michelle applied to Harvard Law and was admitted for the same reason her husband would later be — not the content of her character, but the color of her skin. The obvious gap between her writing and that of her highly talented colleagues marked her as an affirmative action admission, and the profs finessed her through.

obvious gap...says who? There is simply nothing to base this on. We have no clue what the other the theses were like. What grade did she get, where did she graduate in the class? What grades did other students in the class get?

One almost feels sorry for her. She had to have been as anxious as Bart Simpson at Genius School, but Bart at least knew he was in over his head, and he understood why: he had cheated on his I.Q. test. "It doesn't take a Bart Simpson to figure out that something's wrong," he tells the principal and demands out.

If there is a "white privilege," Bart nailed it: when "something's wrong," he has to look within. He can't blame the white man for his problems."

again no facts just political statements

Bottom line is her thesis may have sucked or it may have been good, but this article is full of opinionated statements and does not provide backing evidence to the claims. The article maybe 100% correct, but based on what they gave there is no way to draw that conclusion. My uncle is a professor in Alabama and had grad students writing things in a thesis like "The creek was deepier and fastiest........" I do not like Barrack and I could give a rats *** about Michelle, but this article provides very little information period.

Bottom line is her thesis may have sucked or it may have been good, but this article is full of opinionated statements and does not provide backing evidence to the claims. The article maybe 100% correct, but based on what they gave there is no way to draw that conclusion. My uncle is a professor in Alabama and had grad students writing things in a thesis like "The creek was deepier and fastiest........" I do not like Barrack and I could give a rats *** about Michelle, but this article provides very little information period.

sounds like people who could not have gotten into Princeton

I disagree. That is exactly what a junior thesis at a place like Princeton is supposed to be. The idea that the students are there for an education and to develop critical thinking is naive. They are there to make connections so when they graduate they can staff various government agencies where they exercise much influence over policy and are untouchable.

With colleges going all online, it is showing what an utter waste of money a college education really is, especially at a place like Princeton or Harvard. Why pay Harvard when a kid can get online classes at the local community college?

wait until the online lectures start and we start seeing all the nutjob indoctrinations getting posted online. They will want to get classes started so that they can brainwash in person.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits where parents demand discounts. Part of tuition is a bunch of fees for activities an other campus stuff that they won't be allowed to use.

One would think there will be many layoffs of professors as well. If you are lecturing online then you no longer need a bunch of small classes on the same subject. One lecture by 1 prof for however many thousand kids need the course.

There's some density in her skivvies.

D0YnUQFWkAAUArc.jpg

Did they ask her why it is that her and Bomma have two daughters but there are no pics of a pregnant Mooschelle?

Did they ask her why it is that her and Bomma have two daughters but there are no pics of a pregnant Mooschelle?

Joan Rivers knew the score.