• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Assessing the Steelers Cornerback Room Prior to Free Agency

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With news breaking over the weekend that top cornerback Joe Haden is unlikely to sign back with the Pittsburgh Steelers, we are going to take a look at the state of the Steelers’ cornerback room prior to free agency starting this week.

As it currently stands, the Steelers only have five players signed to the roster right now with NFL experience at the corner position. Of those five, Cam Sutton is the only one that would be considered a starter for the Steelers and had mixed results in his first full season as a starter this past year. Below I will set out three things the Steelers must do at the corner position over the next three months to ensure a successful 2022 season:

1) Re-sign Ahkello Witherspoon

Witherspoon was the Steelers best cornerback over the final two months of the season in 2021. The Steelers traded a 5th round pick to the San Francisco 49ers at the beginning of the season to acquire Witherspoon, but it took a bit of time for Witherspoon to find the field in Pittsburgh. Witherspoon only played nine games for the Steelers, but intercepted three passes, had nine pass deflections and became the only consistent player at corner for the Steelers during the final months of the season. Witherspoon will likely not be a hot name on the free agent market, so the Steelers need to offer him an enticing contract to keep him in the black and gold. I believe a contract in the neighborhood of two years worth $10 million dollars could keep Witherspoon in Pittsburgh. GM Kevin Colbert needs to make Witherspoon his top priority of current players to sign back once free agency begins.

2) Add a top corner in free agency

The Steelers must add a top corner in free agency this offseason in order to keep their secondary competitive. Sutton is not a number 1 and if they get Witherspoon back, he likely won’t be a number 1 either. However, in order for the defense to return to its previous form, they need a lock down guy at corner. Luckily for Colbert and the Steelers, they will have plenty of options. J.C. Jackson, Stephon Gilmore, and Carlton Davis all could fit that mold of a top corner. Each will have differing contracts, but the Steelers need to be open to the fact that they’re going to have to pay top dollar to land one of the three.

3) Draft a corner in the top three rounds

The Steelers and Colbert have not had success over the last decade in drafting corners. However, the Steelers desperately need cheap talent to sure up their cornerback room this season. If they follow my previous suggestions, then they are going to have a lot of money tied up in a top corner, Witherspoon, and Sutton. They need serious depth behind their top three guys and a guy in the wings that can develop into a top corner over the next decade.

What moves do you want the Steelers to make at corner this offseason? Sound off in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Witherspoon should be resigned before the tampering period starts at 12. No reason not to re-up him. The team seems to be asleep at the wheel with some of their free agent to bes.

The Steelers will sign their own FA first then find a solid but not spectacular corner in free agency then grab a CB in the draft...
I'm in favor of OT, DT or CB at pick 20.

I'm in favor of OT, DT or CB at pick 20.

I have those positions as three of my first four draft picks in mocks, with ILB the 4th.

I am all-in for Elam at 20. However, if either Penning or Davis is there, then grab him, go OT or DL 2nd (depending on who they take in the 1st obviously), ILB 3rd, and look for Akayleb Evans, Tariq Castro-Fields or Jayln Armour-Davis in the 4th.

I want the starting CB to come in free agency. No need to pound the square peg into a round hole.

I want the starting CB to come in free agency. No need to pound the square peg into a round hole.

Yeah, I get it - Tomlin has zero success in the draft with CB's. However, top-tier free agent CB's are going to soak up a ton of cap space, and some of the prospects are vastly better than the CB draft-flops like Artie Burnt and Senquez "Milk Carton" Golson. Steelers have not taken a CB in the 1st since Burnt in 2016. Before that? Chad Scott in 1997.

One 1st round CB in the last 23 drafts. ONE. And we are mystified by the coverage problems CB's drafted by the Steelers seem to have. Also, the idea that every Steeler drafted at CB flops is built on 2nd rounders like Golson.

Time to invest in the position. The draft has what I think are four top-tier, #1 CB's: Ahmad Gardner, Derick Stingley, Kaiir Elam and Trent McDuffie. McDuffie can be had late 1st or early 2nd so trading down to get a 3rd and picking him up, then going RT, DT, ILB is the way I would do it.

Yeah, I get it - Tomlin has zero success in the draft with CB's. However, top-tier free agent CB's are going to soak up a ton of cap space, and some of the prospects are vastly better than the CB draft-flops like Artie Burnt and Senquez "Milk Carton" Golson. Steelers have not taken a CB in the 1st since Burnt in 2016. Before that? Chad Scott in 1997.

One 1st round CB in the last 23 drafts. ONE. And we are mystified by the coverage problems CB's drafted by the Steelers seem to have. Also, the idea that every Steeler drafted at CB flops is built on 2nd rounders like Golson.

Time to invest in the position. The draft has what I think are four top-tier, #1 CB's: Ahmad Gardner, Derick Stingley, Kaiir Elam and Trent McDuffie. McDuffie can be had late 1st or early 2nd so trading down to get a 3rd and picking him up, then going RT, DT, ILB is the way I would do it.
I get ya. I am interested in who is on the board in a trade down scenario. A stud G or T? A stud WR? For me it would depend on who is or isn't there.

I get ya. I am interested in who is on the board in a trade down scenario. A stud G or T? A stud WR? For me it would depend on who is or isn't there.

Agreed. I guess the good thing about having so many freaking holes in the lineup is that the team will not reach in the draft, ala Troy Edwards cuz WR.

I really hope Davis falls, but that seems unlikely. If not, hoping for Penning at 20, but he is generating a lot of interest with the Rats and the Eagles.