• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Before you blast a pick you have to come to a realization (break down of the picks)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Before you blast a pick you have to come to a realization.... you might just not get what you want every time....

Let me go off the beaten path for a moment...

In life much like blow jobs us men simply don't get them as much as we would like from our women. We would love a good hob knob slob hobbis knobbis just get down there -> every day. As you get older hell you just hope she doesn't get a migraine when she sees ole pistol Pete, let alone getting her to bob on yer apple. (baby just imagine you are at a party bobbing for apples and your apple is on the very bottom it's fun honest)

You have to look at the good and not just focus in on well................................. what you don't get.

now bare with me let us review the picks so far.....

BUD

a fan might say ohhhh another project at LBer he will join the other two (Jarvis and Shazier) flailing around like lost puppies on the field with little production

another way to look at it is he slid because some teams reached on need....

I think with him over some other LBers what you will see early out of the gates is his tackle ability helping the run D out significantly, his ability to drop into coverage effectively, while being able to get to the QB quickly while perhaps he tweaks that part of his game with some Deebo and Peezy tutelage. (and his overall sack production wasn't as low as you might think of someone considered raw in that area)

I think most fans immediately see the value with this selection, so you won't need my win you over - pitch with this pick....

Senquez

The little corner that could choo choo.

You might see it as a reach based off of need pick. The way the CBs started flying off the board, Tombert might have been like oh **** we better pick who we like and quickly.

He will never be a starter you say he sucks !

but then perhaps you look at his 10 INTs in his last year and his range and instincts and think ohhhhh well at the very least we should have a solid nickle corner, and the D can use improvement so any and all is welcomed. He seemingly improved on a year to year basis in college and for being slight in frame, he looks to be big in heart/effort.

Sammie

This ****** can't catch! is that what you are thinking?

I think the Ravens did pretty well with their explosive WR that had hands issues. If he didn't need work in this area he simply wouldn't have lasted past round 1. His YPA is one of the best among explosive deep threat receivers. He is one of the best blockers out of all the WRs.

Maybe at worst you have a slight better DHB and at best a cross between Bolden and Ward.

But I am thinking a set of Antonio/Bryant/Coates might look pretty damn scary to opposing secondaries if it pans out.

And maybe if you flip pick two and three you feel more at ease

or maybe the sky is falling **** who knows

sitting back I can see why each player was drafted by the Steelers.... and I can clearly see the talent potential of each pick, knowing that each comes with some sort of question mark

**** welcome to the NFL draft from the very top of round 1's crab leg stealing goofy selection to the end of 1's Brown's bold brag of how he is the Patriots best pick of all time (Tom might disagree)

... to the end of 7 I think all we can hope for is to see a sign of how a player can be great, I think so far each selection has something we can point to and say yeah here is where they can excel ...succeed.

Overall I like what I am seeing, hopefully today we will see some more picks that can legitimately have a chance to see playing time.

I can say that with all three................. perhaps not a bad start.

Last edited:
Or we could just vent on a message board and not worry if anybody thinks we need to realize something.

Or we could just vent on a message board and not worry if anybody thinks we need to realize something.

you can do both thats the fun of it you can vent read and at the end of the day

be the wiser

or maybe not

:towel2:

Steelers Draft

Round One - Bud Dupree OLB - absolute steal for us, no one thought he'd still be on the board at #22. He's a bit raw and will need coaching up, but his sparq scores show him as a perfect fit at LOLB in our 3-4, a position vacated with the retirement of Jason Worlids. He should have the weight & strength to anchor in the run game, yet exhibits enough speed and power to add to the pass rush. A+

Round Two - Senqez Colson CB - a bit of a head scratcher, but the kid can play, even though he's short at 5-9. Great speed, short area quickness, awareness, hands. Will definitely add talent to a depleted secondary, even though he's more of a nickel + ST guy as opposed to an outside CB. Probably a round too early for him, but solid player nonetheless. B-

Round Three - Sammie Coats WR - bit of a luxury pick with our needs on D, but a solid size/speed prospect to add to the stable for Big Ben. His drops will need to be rectified, but has comparable physical attributes to Sammy Watkins. Will start off at WR4, may end up pushing Wheaton for playing time, and adds a solid prospect for the future. Hard to doubt Steelers picking mid round WR's, given their track record. B-

Steelers Draft

Round One - Bud Dupree OLB - absolute steal for us, no one thought he'd still be on the board at #22. He's a bit raw and will need coaching up, but his sparq scores show him as a perfect fit at LOLB in our 3-4, a position vacated with the retirement of Jason Worlids. He should have the weight & strength to anchor in the run game, yet exhibits enough speed and power to add to the pass rush. A+

Round Two - Senqez Colson CB - a bit of a head scratcher, but the kid can play, even though he's short at 5-9. Great speed, short area quickness, awareness, hands. Will definitely add talent to a depleted secondary, even though he's more of a nickel + ST guy as opposed to an outside CB. Probably a round too early for him, but solid player nonetheless. B-

Round Three - Sammie Coats WR - bit of a luxury pick with our needs on D, but a solid size/speed prospect to add to the stable for Big Ben. His drops will need to be rectified, but has comparable physical attributes to Sammy Watkins. Will start off at WR4, may end up pushing Wheaton for playing time, and adds a solid prospect for the future. Hard to doubt Steelers picking mid round WR's, given their track record. B-

some good points

:beer:

I look forward to the ongoing process today !

some good points :beer: I look forward to the ongoing process today !
Yeah man, I've really warmed up to Golson and Coates....

Can you imagine the type of damage Ben can do with AB, Bryant, Wheaton, and Coates going full throttle up and down the field? The Coates pick was adding strength to strength... something all smart and successful organizations do.

Yeah man, I've really warmed up to Golson and Coates....

Can you imagine the type of damage Ben can do with AB, Bryant, Wheaton, and Coates going full throttle up and down the field? The Coates pick was adding strength to strength... something all smart and successful organizations do.

yep can always attack by shoring up deficiencies or by adding to strengths

If nobody can stop the passing attack the Steelers will be a hard team to beat.

Sure there is work to do, but like you I love the possibilities I see.

Ooooh, I like grading!

Steelers Draft

Round One - Bud Dupree OLB - It was the obvious and correct pick. It was both a need and I believe that he has the best upside of any OLB in the draft. A.

Round Two - Senqez Colson CB - Nice college player without the physical skills to make a significant impact in the NFL. His ceiling is a nickel / dime sub and will be useless in the slot. If this was the best player on their board at this point they should all be fired. If we took him in the 3 I would not have liked it. If we took him in the 4 I would not have cared. F.

Round Three - Sammie Coats WR - I am not sure what to make of this pick. On one had he reminds me of TO but on the other hand I have seen him drop balls my son catches. He is big, fast, runs crisp routes, great acceleration, and the concentration looks like it is there. I'm not sure why he drops so many balls and I don't think it can be fixed. Regardless, if he can hit a few deep balls and open up the field with some regularity then he will see the field this year. C.

I think we MIGHT be misreading a bit on Golson. He played very little at nickle in college and his strength was playing the outside, often against very tall opponents. He displayed the ability to track the ball and 'become the receiver' on the outside. He got 4 of his six picks against guys who were 6'-4" on the outside.

MAYBE just maybe the plan is to put Cortez back where he was much more effective, at nickle. If not to get his confidence back but to play the TE more often too. He has the ability to 'mirror' and did so from the outside last year as well. He just doesn't track the ball well and even though he would be right on his receiver, couldn't time his jumps or break up the pass. Blake was better at swiping his arms in a timely fashion and breaking up the passes even though he is as tall as Dri.

We need more awareness on the outside to get our INTs going on D. Golson brings this to the table. Not sure i would have made the same choice but he played as good as any from the outside and had success against bigger guys. He also had production from the position. A 44 rating is damn good from this spot. better than anything we've seen on D.

Look, Id rather them have gone DB-DB-LB, but we don't want to reach and getting a star at a position of strength can be better than a bum at a position of need. The Closest thing to a reach is Goulson, whom multiple draft experts have said would have been a 1st rounder if he were an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier. Skill wise he may be the best corner in the draft, its just a metter if his awesome athletisicm allow him to stop NFL caliber WRs. And we need to remember, there are other CBs and DBs in the league who are 5'8 and that smaller DBs like Willie Williams and Townsend have been successful in the past for us

I'd rather have the blow job

2811620-1613779424-GIF-A.gif

all said and done I am pretty satisfied with our picks.

Addressed a lot of needs

I would have probably gone
1. Dupree
2. PJ Williams
3. Golson
4. Wr

Hell, we could have traded down in rd 2, taken PJ and still had Golson. Golson was def taken a rd too early.

I would have probably gone
1. Dupree
2. PJ Williams
3. Golson
4. Wr

Hell, we could have traded down in rd 2, taken PJ and still had Golson. Golson was def taken a rd too early.

PJ had 4 INTs in his whole career Golson had 16.

So you're saying PJ is more like Ike Taylor? ;)

lulz somewhat except Golson, Grant, and Ike was faster. With Ike being the blazer of the 4.