• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger hopeful of deal

Spike

Reaction score
PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed confidence that he and the Steelers will agree to a new contract after the 11th-year veteran tied for the NFL lead with 4,952 passing yards and led the Steelers to an AFC North title.

Roethlisberger is entering the final year of the eight-year, $102 million deal he signed in 2008, and the Steelers hope to sign him to a contract that will allow the three-time Pro Bowler to finish his career in Pittsburgh.

"I felt great all year [on his contract situation]," Roethlisberger said Tuesday on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "Hopefully it's sooner rather than later."

The Steelers normally sign their starting quarterback to a new contract with two years left on his deal. They tabled Roethlisberger's contract talks in July because of their salary-cap situation but said they have every intention of getting a new deal done after the 2014 season.

Team president Art Rooney II has said he wants Roethlisberger to retire as a Steeler.

He is slated to make $11.6 million in the final year of his contract with a cap hit of $18.395 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Steelers could lower the cap hit for 2015 by signing him to a new deal

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...r-hopes-sign-new-contract-pittsburgh-steelers

He might end up being the highest paid player in the NFL.

And before everyone rips him for saying "hopefully sooner than later" he said that so it won't be a distraction, or come up constantly during the off season.

Ben will be resigned as he should be and then it will be on to extending Cam Heyward. This talk of trading Ben is ridiculous and it will not happen. Those are the big ones this year. Next, the decision on what to do about Worrilds. I think they will try and resign him to something comparable to what they offered last year and he will turn it down. I don't see him returning in 2015. We will most likely be forced into making a F/A acquisition and no it won't be Justin Houston who I think will be resigned by the Chiefs. They may target Orapko but this guy is always injured but I think his price would be in line with what we'd pay.

Next, the decision on what to do about Worrilds. I think they will try and resign him to something comparable to what they offered last year and he will turn it down.

The Steelers to offer Worilds what he received last year? Whoa...I wouldn't offer him half of what he made this year. That's crazy-talk.

I think if he wants to retire a Steeler we sign him to another 8 year deal so we can spread his bonus money over 8 years instead of 5 and we give him a little extra upfront cash for lower salaries year one and two. Win/Win for everyone.

Hopefully they can make it a good deal for both sides. He can get paid and it also leave the steelers able to sign some guys.

Last edited:
Last off-season, I had proposed a 6-year, $106 million w/ $40 million in the first two seasons and a $16 million base salary guaranteed in year 3.

Not sure I think that's enough money now with only 1 year left and the season he just had.

Hes already earned $124 M in 12 years..........let him play for Lifetime supplies of Heinz Ketchup. Seriously though...give him a nice deal, hes earned it, but give him added Bonus incentive to increase his RedZone efficiency. Tired of all these FG's . Suisham should not be a substantial part of this offensive output

Tell the OC to stop going empty backfield & tipping his hand & that might improve.

Tell the OC to stop going empty backfield & tipping his hand & that might improve.

That's the thing. I see teams with lesser QBs having superior redzone production. It's partly the QB, but I also think scheming plays a big role in those situations, and the play calling too often just sucks rotten *** in the redzone.

There's too many "we're passing now" formations, and Haley, much like Arians, seems tone deaf when it comes to timing play action in goal to go situations.

Last edited:

That's thhing. I see teams with lesser QBs having superior redzone production. It's partly the QB, but I also think scheming plays a big role in those situations, and the play calling too often just sucks rotten *** in the redzone.

There's too many "we're passing now" formations, and Haley, much like Arians, seems tone deaf when it comes to timing play action in goal to go situations.

Perfectly said, both of you. It's no secret the field is smaller in the red zone, so you have to keep the run option open, when you go empty backfield, it's to easy for a defense to step up and play bump and run on the WR or get within Five yards on the WR, there's no fear of the guy running by you. At least with the RB you can play fake to move a LB or S, and it also gives you a dump off guy after he chips.

That's the thing. I see teams with lesser QBs having superior redzone production. It's partly the QB, but I also think scheming plays a big role in those situations, and the play calling too often just sucks rotten *** in the redzone.

Teams line up in formations that tip the defense all the time yet the defense cant stop it..........If Rodgers lines up on a 3rd and goal empty backfield, he most likely executes....Our struggles in the redzone are mostly on our QB and his tendencies...between the 20's we cant be stopped...........inside the red zone, the field shrinks, the endzone acts as another defender reducing the real estate at which our receivers have to work to get open.. and this forces Ben to HAVE to make a quicker read than hes used to and if he cant, he takes a sack or makes a bad throw. Usually the former.

Ben can go no huddle, empty backfield for an entire drive and not be stopped.........until................REDZONE!!! Having Martavis develope will help greatly

I'm curious to see how many times these other teams go empty set in the red zone.

If I remember correctly Bradshaw's top salary was 300K. Times have changed.

Last off-season, I had proposed a 6-year, $106 million w/ $40 million in the first two seasons and a $16 million base salary guaranteed in year 3.

Not sure I think that's enough money now with only 1 year left and the season he just had.

Damn that would have been nice

I remember when top baseball contracts were paying $200,000 a year

surely Bens worth more than Cutler

I never thought I would say this, but I hope Ben and the Steelers can take a page from the Marsha/*Pats and their dealings over the past couple seasons. It would seem to me that Marsha has done a great deal to make the *Pats better off in every way, both real money and cap space. I don't know how it was possible, but it would be worth paying someone a big bag of dough to figure out how to get a similar contract arrangement with Ben. I hope Omar has been on this.

The guy has certainly earned his money. I think it will be done soon.

Sign him to a good deal that reduces his cap hit this year and has bonuses along the way for performance and longevity of his career/playing ability. At least, that is what I would do. It would be cap friendly on all fronts even if he plays out the entire deal. Make it long enough and he won't - meaning he won't get the bonuses either. He and his agent may not go for it but that is what I'd be offering.

I never thought I would say this, but I hope Ben and the Steelers can take a page from the Marsha/*Pats and their dealings over the past couple seasons. It would seem to me that Marsha has done a great deal to make the *Pats better off in every way, both real money and cap space. I don't know how it was possible, but it would be worth paying someone a big bag of dough to figure out how to get a similar contract arrangement with Ben. I hope Omar has been on this.
That's alot easier to do when your wife makes MORE money than you do.

Sign Winston at #22 - Tomlin can groom him as the 2020 starter

but first we have to break the news to Landry Jones

Originally Posted by steelhurt
Next, the decision on what to do about Worrilds. I think they will try and resign him to something comparable to what they offered last year and he will turn it down.
The Steelers to offer Worilds what he received last year? Whoa...I wouldn't offer him half of what he made this year. That's crazy-talk.

No, what he is saying is that we will offer him something similar to what we ORIGINALLY offered him in negotiations last year before free agency hit. He turned that down and we were forced to transition tag him.