• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Betsy DeVos Confirmed as Education Secretary; Pence Breaks Tie

Spike

Reaction score
Leftist heads asploding all over America

WASHINGTON — The Senate confirmed Betsy DeVos on Tuesday as education secretary, approving the embattled nominee only with the help of a historic tiebreaking vote from Vice President Mike Pence.

The 51-to-50 vote elevates Ms. DeVos to be steward of the nation’s schools.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-secretary-confirmed.html?_r=0

--------------------

Dems are impotent with no power and no magic pills to save them!

Keep sucking on that losing, bitter losers

Now, on to Sessions

Winning! MAGA!

Now Melania is carrying on the winning!

donald-trump-melania-parade-main-e2bdeef4-b93e-46d5-a2b9-c8b97517a025.jpg

Melania Trump reaches settlement in libel lawsuit against Maryland blogger

First lady Melania Trump has settled her defamation lawsuit against a Maryland blogger, who agreed to apologize to the Trump family and pay her a “substantial sum,” her lawyers said in a statement they released Tuesday morning.

“I posted an article on August 2, 2016 about Melania Trump that was replete with false and defamatory statements about her,” the blogger, Webster Tarpley, said in the statement provided by Trump’s attorneys.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.777a9abaf801

Last edited:
The whining has hit a crescendo on Portman(OH) and Corkers(TN) facebook pages. All these people saying you will now lose the next election as if a single one of them ever voted for them in the first place. I don't love Devos but I love she is pissing people off so much. The unions are ******** the underpants right now.

I don't see why I should have had to pay twice* for my daughter to attend a much better private school.

*School property tax to fund the ******** school up the street from me plus tuition for the school she actually attended.

My comment on facebook regarding those opposing her because of her lack of the proper experience is that those who have been "in-charge" had that awesome experience and screwed **** up pretty royally.

I'd like to see the kids in schools stop being treated as a social experiment and actually get educated.

The local teacher union here is practically criminal. Another yell for a tax override over the other 2 we passed in the last three years. Citing teachers failing to get a pay raise in 2016 when they don't tell you if you read the last two contracts they have only had a one-year hold on salary but every teacher was given a step increase (each teacher grade has three incremental steps inside each pay grade) which would have been higher than a 3% raise. From 2010....the local teachers here have been given 16% in raises during that period in the same position, not accounting for the step increases. Just based on how they attain steps and grade increases every 3 years a teacher making $80K in 2010 is now making 105,000.00 for doing the same job. All the while screaming about that skip year they were only given a step increase! Hey, want to coach 7th grade girls basketball....here's another $10K for your trouble.

I not only have issues with Federal Gov't but Local Gov't and unions can be far worse.

Now, on to Sessions

ping!

Jeff Sessions' nomination to be attorney general clears procedural hurdle

Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions’ nomination to be attorney general has cleared a procedural hurdle in the Senate.

The Senate voted 52-47 on Tuesday to move ahead on the nomination. Confirmation is expected on Wednesday in spite of Senate Democrats’ opposition to their colleague.

No GOP senators voted against his confirmation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-se...be-attorney-general-clears-procedural-hurdle/

The whining has hit a crescendo on Portman(OH) and Corkers(TN) facebook pages.

GOP Cheers DeVos Confirmation After Pence Casts Rare Tie-Breaking Vote

Republicans cheered Tuesday's historic confirmation vote for Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary — Vice President Mike Pence cast the tie-breaking vote — slamming Democrats as obstructionists and saying that President Donald Trump was entitled to his Cabinet picks.

"President Trump has assembled a first-class team for his Cabinet, and obstructing all of these confirmation votes is only delaying the important work that needs to be done," Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton said.

Ohio Sen. Rob Portman noted that DeVos "strongly supports local control of education and has pledged not to impose her own views on states and local school districts, but rather to allow them — along with parents — to make the decisions that best fit the needs of their children.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/GOP-Betsy-DeVos-Confirmation-Pence/2017/02/07/id/772448/

Not a DeVos fan. She likes federal standards. We'll see.

Not a DeVos fan. She likes federal standards. We'll see.

i havent paid much attention to the individuals, just the gnashing of liberal teeth. However, i thought i heard the opposite on her. it was, probably, about something else, though.

Under the Federal Standards, we have Common Core and No Child Left Behind. How has that worked out for us? It HASN'T. I know DeVos is against Common Core, so that's a plus.

Pocahontas shut down on Senate floor!

Sit down and shut up!

Senate Votes To Gag Elizabeth Warren After Anti-Sessions Outburst

Following a scathing speech against Trump's nominee for Attorney General, Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell said Senator Elizabeth Warren had "impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama," violating the so-called 'Rule 19'.

"Sen. Warren was giving a lengthy speech. She had appeared to violate the rule. She was warned. She was given an explanation," he said after the vote. "Nevertheless, she persisted."

By a vote of 49-43, Senator Warren was then barred from speaking on the floor until Senator Sessions nomination debate is complete (likely tomorrow evening)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...elizabeth-warren-after-anti-sessions-outburst

All I know is people are melting down. Maybe she is good.

I look at who's screaming bloody murder and rioting over Trump and his picks and that only reinforces to me that he's the right person for the job and doing the right things.

Under the Federal Standards, we have Common Core and No Child Left Behind. How has that worked out for us? It HASN'T. I know DeVos is against Common Core, so that's a plus.
Keep an eye on her. Don't forget that she sat on the board of Jeb Bush's Foundation for Excellence in Education, which promoted vouchers and charter schools - and Common Core.

from the article below -
“We appreciate the work of the State Senate in supporting the Common Core State Standards, which we believe will make our students more competitive in a global economy,” said Gary Naeyaert, executive director at GLEP, in October of 2013.

DeVos’ website says she was chairman of the GLEP board from 2001-2008, and has remained a board member since then. Yet, upon her nomination as education secretary, DeVos launched a new website, and noted immediately, “Certainly. I am not a supporter” of Common Core. “Period.”

Braun explains to Breitbart News how DeVos’ vision of education reform intersects “school choice” with “Common Core.”

“In a DeVos system of ‘choice,’ parents will choose WHERE their child is educated but WHAT they are taught is not up to them,” Braun continues, quoting from a report from the American Federation for Children, on which DeVos has served as a board member since 2008 and has been its chairman since 2009.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...e-michigan-not-fooled-betsy-devos-know-truth/

I know a lot of teachers are freaking out because she is heavily in favor of charter schools, which have in the past few years proven to be 90% complete scams that offer next to no educational benefit. They are for profit organizations that were getting kickbacks on top of kickbacks form their government cronies allowing them to get away with whatever they wanted. The gov't did finally start cracking down on them and forcing a lot of them out of business recently. We are talking like 8% graduation rates and nobody could do anything about it because they were exempt from meeting the same standards as public schools. As a result they were able to continue raking in millions while offering horrible service. If she leans towards those type of charter schools, I'm highly skeptical of her.

If a kid left our school to go to a charter school, they came back the next year......with straight F's and having to repeat the same grade over again. Almost every single time.

Last edited:
I know a lot of teachers are freaking out because she is heavily in favor of charter schools, which have in the past few years proven to be 90% complete scams that offer next to no educational benefit. They are for profit organizations that were getting kickbacks on top of kickbacks form their government cronies allowing them to get away with whatever they wanted. The gov't did finally start cracking down on them and forcing a lot of them out of business recently. We are talking like 8% graduation rates and nobody could do anything about it because they were exempt from meeting the same standards as public schools. As a result they were able to continue raking in millions while offering horrible service. If she leans towards those type of charter schools, I'm highly skeptical of her.

If a kid left our school to go to a charter school, they came back the next year......with straight F's and having to repeat the same grade over again. Almost every single time.

Some charter schools are bad but some public schools are just as bad or worse. That's why parents should have a choice.

I don't see why I should have had to pay twice* for my daughter to attend a much better private school.

I said the same thing on a Lib friend's Facebook today, one of her friends who is also a school teacher jumped my ****, and my friend actually stuck up for me and said "I'm aware of Ron't personal situation and don't blame him a bit for feeling that way and doing what he did". Score one for truth and logic.

How liberal shitheads view Betsy Devos:

200_s.gif

How conservatives view Betsy Devos:

226280_1240602239618_full.jpg

The real Betsy Devos:

young-businesswoman-handshake-client-office-blonde-46388374.jpg

Her nomination hearings expose all things lefty-lies.

Lefty-lie #1: "We must respect women in the workplace."
Truth: "Attaaaaaack!!! Ahhhh, she's a harpy murderess!!!"

Lefty-lie #2: "Be tolerant of opposing views"
Truth: "Attaaaaaack!!! Ahhhh, she's a harpy murderess!!! Kill her! Kiiiiiiill her!!!!!!"

Lefty-lie #3: "Use reason to persuade the opposition."
Truth: "Attaaaaaack!!! Ahhhh, she's a harpy murderess!!! Kill her! Kiiiiiiill her!!!!!! DEATH TO CONSERVATIVES!!!"

Lefty-lie #4: "We care about education and look to improve our failing public schools."
Truth: "Attaaaaaack!!! Ahhhh, she's a harpy murderess!!! Kill her! DEATH TO CONSERVATIVES!!!"

Lefty-lie #5: "We care about minority education and look to improve the shocking incompetence of teachers in the inner-cities."
Truth: "Attaaaaaack!!! Ahhhh, she's a harpy murderess!!! Kill her! DEATH TO CONSERVATIVES!!! Seniority matters, competence does NOT!!!"