• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Big Ben Says Pay Cut Was a Must-Have

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
During the 2020 offseason, Ben Roethlisberger was on the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers for $41.25 million in the form of a cap hit. Yikes. If you had a healthier and much younger Roethlisberger coming into the 2021 season, then there would be little argument against keeping the future Hall of Fame quarterback on the team for that amount.

Roethlisberger took a pay cut of $5 million by signing a new contract. This new contract actually ends after this upcoming season, leaving the quarterback with a choice on whether he plans to come back to the team on his own accord.

In a Zoom meeting with reporters, Roethlisberger said that the reduction in salary was his idea. The reason? For the Steelers to sign free agents in the offseason or even resign current players.

Not a bad plan.

Quite honestly, in a broader sense, many more older quarterbacks or high-paid veterans could forfeit a small percentage of their total salary to give their teams more flexibility when it comes to getting talent and resigning current players ready to become free agents.

All things considered, this is not at all a bad move for the Steelers. They have a mature quarterback who understands that he is not struggling for money at the moment as a result of him being a top-paid athlete. Currently, the 17-year vet is the second most ever in the NFL for career earnings, according to Spotrac.com.

Will this be a trend we see in the league for other older quarterbacks or positions in general? Leave your thoughts and comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

My thoughts are we are going to miss Ben when he decides to hang it up.

As for him taking less money to stay, it is great for the team of course . I think Ben realizes he has made a **** ton of money, wanted to play for 1 more year and knew it wouldnt be with the Steelers unless he took less money.

After all is said and done, BEN said he would take a pay cut and he held true to his word, why wouldn't he..?

I don't think BEN was blackmailed into any deal of weather he plays ot not as he was in a win win situation. He could have just said PAY ME and he didn't.

He showed much needed TEAM help and yet some wanted him to work for free as they were the judge of how much money he has made........... **** dilusional in that thiking.

Some where some how BEN will be at fault no matter how this is spun but the way I look at it BENN did a solid by his actions and if the public can't see that than they are not looking.

Weather BEN retires will depends on many things including should he win a championship this year. I'm thinking if he does he will retire while flipping the "rog" off and deamonizing the "one hand bob" organization with the Lombardie risen in the other hand.......!!!!

I for one will always cherish the PITTSBURGH STEELERS quarterback who was a winner on the field and in the turn around of his life. Thank You BEN and when you do leave us I wish you good luck in your "Life's Work".

Salute the nation

Always been a big fan of Ben. He aint perfect, but that's what makes him perfect for the Steelers.

While I still think Ben could have taken more of a pay cut, since the draft I've really been looking forward to see what he can do with the addition of Harris and the other new offensive players. Harris is a true difference-maker, and if Ben has time, he will still be effective and fun to watch.

I think Ben realizes he has made a **** ton of money, wanted to play for 1 more year and knew it wouldnt be with the Steelers unless he took less money.

Yep. That meathead everyone in the media always ***** on is only worth $100 million, stays off of social media (unless it's to promote charities or good things) and has 2 Super Bowl rings. I think I know who's going to have the last laugh in this equation.

Yet he still gets beat up by the press as the make Rogers and Watson hero's of the game.

Yet he still gets beat up by the press as the make Rogers and Watson hero's of the game.

Watson's a REAL hero thats for sure...............................

Salute the nation