• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Brees, turning 38, thinks he deserves $60 mill guaranteed?

P

POP

I think he is asking for too much ($60 mill guaranteed?). Manning proved last year that most EVERYONE nearing 40 can't play NFL-caliber QB.

I think Moon played at 40. I am not sure how well. Johnny U played until 40, but stunk his last 3 seasons. If I am NO, I don't budge. Let him walk after this season.

You simply do not throw a king's ransom at a QB nearing 40. I'd cut his demands in half and only guarantee $30 mill., hoping to get 2 more seasons out of him.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, I think he's insane. "If" they want to keep him they can always franchise him next year and that carries him into 39.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think he is asking for too much ($60 mill guaranteed?). Manning proved last year that most EVERYONE nearing 40 can't play NFL-caliber QB.

I think Moon played at 40. I am not sure how well. Johnny U played until 40, but stunk his last 3 seasons. If I am NO, I don't budge. Let him walk after this season.

You simply do not throw a king's ransom at a QB nearing 40. I'd cut his demands in half and only guarantee $30 mill., hoping to get 2 more seasons out of him.

LOL, well if they want to remain relevant to the media and sell tickets New Orleans needs to re-sign him.

Without Brees, they are a 4-12 type of team. With him, there's a chance for 8-8 or better. The Saints have had back to back 7-9 seasons

Brees won't get $60 million for two seasons, but I think whatever he gets the Saints will be overpaying him because he's old.

If Brees wanted to help his team win a championship, he signs for less. He has a Championship ring and is Canton bound.

We'll see if he gives a " hometown " discount to help his team win.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, last year he DID play some of his best football. I suppose you can always write the contract with incentives. If he hits the numbers, pay the guy. He IS the franchise, after all.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
I see him getting busted up this year. Older, **** line in front, weapons are gone or unproven.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
His tag # would be 42.3M

Considering the QB franchise tag was 19.953 million last year I highly doubt it doubles for the 2017 season.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
LOL, well if they want to remain relevant to the media and sell tickets New Orleans needs to re-sign him.

Without Brees, they are a 4-12 type of team. With him, there's a chance for 8-8 or better. The Saints have had back to back 7-9 seasons

Brees won't get $60 million for two seasons, but I think whatever he gets the Saints will be overpaying him because he's old.

If Brees wanted to help his team win a championship, he signs for less. He has a Championship ring and is Canton bound.

We'll see if he gives a " hometown " discount to help his team win.

Are you serious? Canton bound? I think not.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would bet Brees is Canton bound.

He's tied with the cheater for TDs and he hasn't well... cheated.

Brees being only 6' tall has produced ridiculous numbers throughout the duration of his career consistently. He won't be a first ballot guy, but he'll definitely get in.

swal75

Reaction score
No, it's the average of the top 5 or 120% of his salary the year prior. So 23.7 million since he is making 19.75 million this season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/...016-franchise-tag-definition-value-candidates

Read up.
\

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...s-can-get-paid-and-still-help-out-the-saints/

Using a franchise tag on Brees in 2017 if he played out his contract would be too cost prohibitive. His franchise tag number will be $43.09 million, which is based on 144 percent of his 2016 cap number. Brees must decide whether to exploit his leverage with a new deal or take some sort of hometown discount in an effort to help the Saints improve the talent around him to try to become lowB repuS contenders again.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/drew-brees-contract-new-orleans-saints-nfl
Keep in mind: The franchise tag is not an option. As pointed out by Pro Football Talk, Brees’ franchise tag figure would be a 44% increase of his 2016 cap hit since he’s already been franchised twice in his career. He’d make an unreasonable $43.2 million playing under the tag in 2017.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dline-to-his-talks-with-saints-on-a-new-deal/

As a result, he’ll be entitled to a 44-percent increase over his cap number from 2016.
That’s $43.2 million. For one year. For a quarterback who will be 38 in January.

I did read up.

And since it's his 3rd tag it's 144% of his cap hit from 2016, not of his base salary.

Last edited:

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
just outta laziness....

how old will the Big Dummy be at the end of his current deal?

Spike

Reaction score
EVERYONE nearing 40 can't play NFL-caliber QB

Peyton Manning wins SB!

hahahaha

stats are for losers

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Peyton Manning wins SB!

hahahaha

stats are for losers

unless we are counting SB victories.

big-teeth-smiley-emoticon.png

Spike

Reaction score
POP thinks we should have cut Ben last year to save money.

Ben Roethlisberger's new contract sets record marks for quaterbacks

According to the agreement, the Pro Bowl quarterback will make a maximum of $108M over the next five seasons, with some difficult incentives, while earning a base of $99M in that span. He was previously due $11.6M by the Steelers in 2015 under his old deal, and this will mean roughly $87M in new money in this contact.

Roethlisberger has $60.75M guaranteed at the time of signing, and, as a practical matter, is all but guaranteed of making $65M over the first three years of the deal. That is a new precedent in that key contract barometer, because in this day and age it is almost certain that a restructuring or new contract will be coming after those initial three years. It is a primary metric among teams and agents and one that puts Roethlisberger, who has posted the best statistical seasons of his career under offensive coordinator Todd Haley, among the most highly compensated ever, which should not be a surprise for a two-time lowB repuS winner still very much in his prime

The move is a win/win for both sides and comes at a time when many quarterbacks in need of an extension -- and the teams who need to extend them -- have been wary about setting a new precedent in the marketplace and are taking their time.

This contract came together quickly and puts Roethlisberger squarely among the highest paid in the game -- a group of $20-plus million a year quarterbacks that already includes Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan. With Roethlisberger's fellow draft class QBs -- Eli Manning and Philip Rivers -- entering the final year of their deals, and with youngsters Andrew Luck, Cam Netwon and Russell Wilson becoming eligible for new deals, this agreement comes at a pivotal time to help establish new market values and should serve as a springboard in future negotiations around the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ew-contract-sets-record-marks-for-quaterbacks

FordFairLane

Reaction score
\

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...s-can-get-paid-and-still-help-out-the-saints/

Using a franchise tag on Brees in 2017 if he played out his contract would be too cost prohibitive. His franchise tag number will be $43.09 million, which is based on 144 percent of his 2016 cap number. Brees must decide whether to exploit his leverage with a new deal or take some sort of hometown discount in an effort to help the Saints improve the talent around him to try to become lowB repuS contenders again.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/drew-brees-contract-new-orleans-saints-nfl
Keep in mind: The franchise tag is not an option. As pointed out by Pro Football Talk, Brees’ franchise tag figure would be a 44% increase of his 2016 cap hit since he’s already been franchised twice in his career. He’d make an unreasonable $43.2 million playing under the tag in 2017.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dline-to-his-talks-with-saints-on-a-new-deal/

As a result, he’ll be entitled to a 44-percent increase over his cap number from 2016.
That’s $43.2 million. For one year. For a quarterback who will be 38 in January.

I did read up.

And since it's his 3rd tag it's 144% of his cap hit from 2016, not of his base salary.

If that's the case it's definitely changed since the new CBA and rendered the franchise tag pretty much worthless. I really can't think of a reason to use it but for a stop gap after a players rookie contract and if you had no plan to resign them but needed a year to bridge their drafted replacement.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
The Saints are in deep trouble. They should have tried to trade Brees last year and build some young talent.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Saints don't seem to have much besides Brees. I like the guy and there is no reason he shouldn't try to maximize what is probably his last chance at a big deal. Probably not worth that much, but definitely worth a chance from his point of view.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
P

POP

Well, last year he DID play some of his best football. I suppose you can always write the contract with incentives. If he hits the numbers, pay the guy. He IS the franchise, after all.

He IS the franchise, but regardless father time shows up and you have no choice but to turn the page.

I see him getting busted up this year. Older, **** line in front, weapons are gone or unproven.

And nearing 40 the drop off seems to happen overnight.

Peyton Manning wins SB!

hahahaha

stats are for losers

They won in spite of him, not because of him. Didn't he have a game with 5 completion for 35 yards vs. KC last year? He was obviously not his old self.

Spike

Reaction score
According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, a pact between Brees and the Saints could get done as soon as Wednesday. Brees wants to circumnavigate a public relations nightmare a few months from now when the Saints could potentially be forced to hand Brees the franchise tag -- which would cost New Orleans $43 million for one season. Brees already counts $30 million against the Saints' cap, or 20 percent of their total spending money for the 2016 season.

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo

----------------

I bet he gets more that $60M

Their defense will still suck, so it really doesn't matter

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
They should give him what he wants.

I wouldn't but the Saints should.

I hate the Saints for personal reasons.