• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Brian Flores: “That conversation [with Coach Tomlin] turned into an opportunity”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday night, HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel will air an episode featuring the latest assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Brian Flores.

Flores, who was named senior defensive assistant and linebackers coach for the Steelers last Saturday, sat down with Gumbel and spoke about how exactly he was brought into the Steel City’s coaching staff. From what started as a simple phone call, reaching out to Steelers’ head coach Mike Tomlin, ended up as an exciting job offer:

Brian Flores tells HBO Real Sports that it came together quickly with the Steelers. A conversation on Thursday, more on Friday and he accepted the job. Flores said he called Tomlin for mentorship and it morphed into a job offer.

— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly) February 22, 2022

“I actually was calling ‘Coach T,’ really, to get some counsel,” Flores said in an excerpt of the episode provided by HBO. “I was thinking about the next steps for me just from a coaching standpoint. And then that conversation turned into an opportunity there in Pittsburgh.” – Excerpt from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With Flores still in an active lawsuit against the NFL regarding racism in hiring practices, many believed Flores was inevitably going to be blackballed by the league. Flores spoke to how important and meaningful this hire was to him, especially as an African-American coach:

Bryant Gumbel asked Brian Flores if he believes Mike Tomlin threw him a lifeline with the hire.

Flores, in part: " I do feel like he saw a situation where there was– a very– experienced coach– who could help his staff, who was also a Black coach in the league."

full answer
⬇
pic.twitter.com/TN6e6E1PpP

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) February 22, 2022

Yinz can catch the full episode of the interview tonight on HBO.

More to come.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don't think he was brought in to be just an assistant or figure head. He is just as qualified as Austin for DC. so they should be a two-headed monster for the D.
I strongly feel Flores is the better option. I hope his strong will and determination shines through.

There can't be two leaders. That just leads to problems.
nah the more the merrier... that first staff of Cowhers had Dom Capers, Marvin Lewis, and Dick LeBeau on it... which is how they ironed out the modern 3/4 zone blitz scheme from the earlier templates... all four of them were high end defensive coordinators and great defensive minds

nah the more the merrier... that first staff of Cowhers had Dom Capers, Marvin Lewis, and Dick LeBeau on it... which is how they ironed out the modern 3/4 zone blitz scheme from the earlier templates... all four of them were high end defensive coordinators and great defensive minds
Yes if people work well together but you all need to pull the rope the same direction.

I definitely think Flores will bring more to the table than just coaching the LBs. I think he'll have an integral presence with the front 7 in terms of game plan/scheme.

Yes if people work well together but you all need to pull the rope the same direction.
One thing for sure what they were trotting out there wasn't good enough. So better to risk something that might not work over something that we know won't work.

I definitely think Flores will bring more to the table than just coaching the LBs. I think he'll have an integral presence with the front 7 in terms of game plan/scheme.
They should let him have input on O too ****, it couldn't hurt.

One thing for sure what they were trotting out there wasn't good enough. So better to risk something that might not work over something that we know won't work.
To be clear I'm very happy with the hire. Just saying you cannot have two DC's.

**** we have had two DCs for awhile now. Tomlin was just the one calling plays. I think you can double up in just about anything. Some call the positions assistants. Someone sure always gets the nod on decisions and play calling for when it involves it. You just have to be good at whatever area you are assigned.

Obviously that is what remains to be seen across the board, but like you I think the hire is a good one.

I really, really like this hire. Hoping he can provide Coach Tomlin another perspective or influence. The defensive collapses in the playoffs has been killing this team for way too long and the Steelers need a different approach. Welcome Coach Flores!

So i love the hire… and usually i hate all things contaminated with the stench of patriots slimes on it….

However the Irony isn’t lost on me that a guy suing the nfl for coaching hires made without first fairly interviewing qualified candidates just basically got handed a job without interviewing at all lol

However the Irony isn’t lost on me that a guy suing the nfl for coaching hires made without first fairly interviewing qualified candidates just basically got handed a job without interviewing at all lol
Well, it's kind of hard to interview candidates for a position you created just for Flores.

That's my fear, that eventually a power-struggle over who's ultimately in charge of the defense may ensue. The first loss that comes at the hands of poor defensive play may lead to finger-pointing and bickering amongst the coaching staff. Which may then lead to players picking sides... and thus a divide develops. Yikes. I know this sounds pessimistic as hell. I hope there aren't any large egos on the staff.

That's my fear, that eventually a power-struggle over who's ultimately in charge of the defense may ensue. The first loss that comes at the hands of poor defensive play may lead to finger-pointing and bickering amongst the coaching staff. Which may then lead to players picking sides... and thus a divide develops. Yikes. I know this sounds pessimistic as hell. I hope there aren't any large egos on the staff.
There are always large egos involved. I would say Flores has to be careful. He could have been looking at black balled over lawsuit.

There are always large egos involved. I would say Flores has to be careful. He could have been looking at black balled over lawsuit.
Hence why he took the job with Mike T. Better to be working in the NFL than not in 2022. I don't think think he will ruffle any feathers since the Steelers are giving him a job. He'll know his role is to be an asset, not a distraction.

So i love the hire… and usually i hate all things contaminated with the stench of patriots slimes on it….

Without KNOWINGLY interviewing. He says he called Tomlin for mentorship. I think Tomlin treated the phone call as a feeling out process and interview. Then went back to Colbert and ARll and told them he thought it would be a good idea to hire Flores.

Hence why he took the job with Mike T. Better to be working in the NFL than not in 2022. I don't think think he will ruffle any feathers since the Steelers are giving him a job. He'll know his role is to be an asset, not a distraction.
Completely agree. Coach Flores will be an asset. Unlike others in the organization who are more of an asshat.

Without KNOWINGLY interviewing. He says he called Tomlin for mentorship. I think Tomlin treated the phone call as a feeling out process and interview. Then went back to Colbert and ARll and told them he thought it would be a good idea to hire Flores.
Absolutely but how is that any different than someone interviewing the first person and deciding they are perfect and hiring them on the spot… for a head coach?

Also they did not create the position for him… Austin held it along with the db coach title the past 3 years… and I believe Butler did too at one time under dlb….

This isn' your typical Tomlin hire. Flores won't take the fall guy role.

This isn' your typical Tomlin hire. Flores won't take the fall guy role.
Diarrhea mouth rolls right in with his narrative. It’s amazing how a person’s thought process is so predictable. Tell us Genius, Munchak wasn't a typical Tomlin hire either?