• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

But What About Bud?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Now a over two weeks removed from the 2020 NFL season, the speculation about all 32 teams going into 2021 has taken center stage. One of the biggest stories surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers as of right now is the release of JJ Watt, brother of Steelers’ linebacker TJ Watt and fullback Derek Watt, from the Houston Texans. Many believe Watt will want to come to Pittsburgh and play with his brothers. This would be awesome, and I am all for it. This would make the defense that led the league in sacks for the fourth straight season, potentially even better.

However, it leaves the question; what about Bud Dupree?

Dupree is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, and he has been critical in Pittsburgh’s vaunted pass rush over these last few seasons, the last two particularly. Dupree has been responsible for 19.5 sacks over the past two seasons, and potentially more considering he only played in 11 games in 2020 after suffering an ACL tear Week 12. He played this season on the franchise tag.

We all know it’s tough to bring back a player of Dupree’s caliber and at his position, due to it’s average salary being one of the highest in the league. However, he has shown his loyalty to the team. He has expressed the fact he wants to stay with them, and played without a hiccup on the franchise tag, which many players in the NFL refuse to do now, holding out to secure long-term contracts. He has shown his want and determination to be a Steeler, and has produced and help make this defense a top notch unit.

Now, like I said, I’m all for Watt signing with the team, but if it means sacrificing Dupree, is it the right move? Dupree has been the far more productive of the two over the last two seasons. His 19.5 sacks dwarf Watt’s 9, but we’re talking about a former 3 time Defensive Player of The Year here. Watt has also been on the less talented of the two defenses. That bids the question though, is the defense as good without Dupree?

The answer is no. Everything about the defense seemed to take a hit from losing Dupree. The pass rush only produced 10 sacks to end the season after Dupree went down, as well as allowing 124 rushing yards per game. Pittsburgh sported a 1-4 record in those games. This is not to knock rookie linebacker Alex Highsmith either, who performed admirably and got noticeably better each week. It is just tough to replace a guy like Dupree, who has become a stalwart in both run and pass defense, and one of two in a special combo of pass rushers between him and TJ Watt.

Adding JJ Watt would definitely help this defense, but if it is at the expense of Dupree, is it the right move? I’m not so sure. In a perfect world, I would like to see Pittsburgh sign both and watch what would be one of the funnest defenses in Steelers’ history (which is saying something). That is not the case unfortunately, due to salary cap, which Pittsburgh is already struggling with. I’m not saying you have to choose one or the other, or you’re wrong for doing so, but it’s hard to turn your back completely on a guy who has came out and played hard year in and year out for the organization. Dupree has earned his stripes, and if the team figures out the cap space and were to bring him back, it wouldn’t, and shouldn’t, be to anyone’s surprise.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Do you want Dupree back? Do you want JJ Watt? Both? Neither of them? Sound off in the comment section on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Super valid discussion. How much is left in JJ's tank? Dupree's? This is a crap shoot, because signing Dupree almost certainly means we can't afford Juju, also.

One more thing - funnest is not a word.

Can we afford Bud anyway? JJ might come with a family discount, and I bet he is well aware that his prime days are over...

Bud is GONE. Why another thread about if he is coming back or if he should. There have been dozens. He is going for his payday and it won't be here. The only possible way he stays (and only way I'd want him to stay) is to sign a one-year prove-it deal. But, even with that, he can get more elsewhere. No way do you put **** your team by putting so much money into TJ and Bud. It makes zero sense. Highsmith looked good filling in as a rookie. I am fine giving him a chance. It took Bud until his 4th year to do anything. He had one good year and then a partial good year before his injury. He is going to want to get his pay day and you can't blame him. This will probably be the only big contract of his career.

We can't afford a long term contract with Bud when we already have his replacement in a rookie contract. We need to figure out how to get out from under Ben's massive cap hit and see if we still have a window to win a Super Bowl.

We can't afford a long term contract with Bud when we already have his replacement in a rookie contract. We need to figure out how to get out from under Ben's massive cap hit and see if we still have a window to win a Super Bowl.
I don't think there is a window without Ben, not saying the window is wide open with Ben either, but this teams best chance to win next season is with Ben. Hope you hit on your first 2 draft picks, one being a OT, Decastro returns to form, and the defense is allowed to play aggressively and dominate.

I don't think there is a window without Ben, not saying the window is wide open with Ben either, but this teams best chance to win next season is with Ben. Hope you hit on your first 2 draft picks, one being a OT, Decastro returns to form, and the defense is allowed to play aggressively and dominate.
Have to think DD played hurt all year. He did start the year injured. Might be similar to what happened to Boz a few seasons ago and he just had a ****** year playing hurt.

I don't see us making any mega trades when we have so many roster holes that will need filled via the draft and probably UDFA on the roster as well to help out with balancing those large contracts.

The thing with Ben, if we had a definitive replacement then the decision to move on would be much easier. We don't have anything definitive behind him and that part right there is a stark reality for us spoiled Steeler fans.

Have to think DD played hurt all year. He did start the year injured. Might be similar to what happened to Boz a few seasons ago and he just had a ****** year playing hurt.

I don't see us making any mega trades when we have so many roster holes that will need filled via the draft and probably UDFA on the roster as well to help out with balancing those large contracts.

The thing with Ben, if we had a definitive replacement then the decision to move on would be much easier. We don't have anything definitive behind him and that part right there is a stark reality for us spoiled Steeler fans.
I agree on DeCastro, he started the season injured, and never had time to heal. We're not in a prime spot to draft a QB either. The Steelers do not want to have an ugly break with Ben like they did with Troy, so they're going to try everything they can to get this to work IMO, but the difference with Troy and Ben is, Troy couldn't run anymore and didn't want to believe it, with Ben it's more about the cap than it is his ability to throw, because he can still make the throws.

We need 2 legit starters for next year. One is on the O-line - who and how they shuffle the line I don't care as long as they can run block and protect Ben. 2nd is we absolutely need a legit starting RB. Conner wasn't it and Snell definitely isn't it. I'd still like Harris or Etienne in Rd. 1 with O-line in Rd 2 and 3. But, if they can find a legit 3 down RB in round 2 that is ready this year, then I'm good with it but I just don't see that happening. Maybe we can with the new coaches if Tomlin keeps from micromanaging.

Rumor has it that JJ is going to the Browns....
They got the wrong edge guy...
Look for Bud to be in a Browns uni next season..

We need 2 legit starters for next year. One is on the O-line - who and how they shuffle the line I don't care as long as they can run block and protect Ben. 2nd is we absolutely need a legit starting RB. Conner wasn't it and Snell definitely isn't it. I'd still like Harris or Etienne in Rd. 1 with O-line in Rd 2 and 3. But, if they can find a legit 3 down RB in round 2 that is ready this year, then I'm good with it but I just don't see that happening. Maybe we can with the new coaches if Tomlin keeps from micromanaging.
Three. They need a LT, a C, and a RB.

Bud is GONE. Why another thread about if he is coming back or if he should. There have been dozens. He is going for his payday and it won't be here. The only possible way he stays (and only way I'd want him to stay) is to sign a one-year prove-it deal. But, even with that, he can get more elsewhere. No way do you put **** your team by putting so much money into TJ and Bud. It makes zero sense. Highsmith looked good filling in as a rookie. I am fine giving him a chance. It took Bud until his 4th year to do anything. He had one good year and then a partial good year before his injury. He is going to want to get his pay day and you can't blame him. This will probably be the only big contract of his career.
How do you know he's gone??? Where's the proof???

Probably unlikely a return but his injury actually gives the club a fighting chance to get him in a one year rental if they choose. With TJ getting that big contract also we know long term it is unlikely they will give big money to two pass rushers. Which Bud might get that big contract. We know some teams love to throw around money blindly. If it wasn't for them I would like the chances on a return.

Not so sure buds gone yet... they got lots money n time in him... silly to invest in him just to watch him go play for our competitors just as he’s starting to pay dividends.. if that’s what we’re going to do just skippy the draft picks, trade them, and sign free agents.

I don't see us being able to sign Bud, unless the market value isn't there and he returns on a show me deal to get paid HUGE bucks next year.

He's gone because there is no way they will pay him the money someone else will offer him - at least I sure as hell won't. He's still injured but will be a classic cap casuatly. Can't afford to tag him again and can't afford to pay him based on what Watt deserves and what Minkah will get as well. Bud is the odd man out.. Now, if he would have shown something the 1st 3 years of his career in Pittsburgh, we might be singing a different tune.. Again, I see now way he is one the team other than for a cheap one year prove it deal that some other team can outbid us just the same.

I don't see us being able to sign Bud, unless the market value isn't there and he returns on a show me deal to get paid HUGE bucks next year.
Yep, that is the only way he's back here next year.

Random ? if signed to 1 year "show me deal", could they franchise him again the following year without have to pay the extra$$?

even injured Bud has a market, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to play for a one year show me deal with so many teams in need of a proven pass rusher

Can we afford Bud anyway? JJ might come with a family discount, and I bet he is well aware that his prime days are over...

Some here don't think Ben Roethlisberger will take a discount even though he has indicated his pay doesn't matter,......... What makes you think JJ who is looking for a contender who can afford him would suddenly come here for a family discount.............????

Salute the nation

As nice as the Watt story might be, I’d rather have Bud than JJ. With that said, I also think we have many other needs so going with the Charlotte kid may be the smart play.

Random ? if signed to 1 year "show me deal", could they franchise him again the following year without have to pay the extra$$?

What's he need to prove? He's been good the past couple of years. Certainly it's not coming back from his injury because players routinely come back from ACL tears.

He has nothing to prove. I was asking the ? based on others saying we could sign him to a 1 year deal. If we sign him to a one year deal, can we franchise him in 2022 with just the regular franchise tag, or would it count as a 2nd tag and have to pay the 120% deal

He has nothing to prove. I was asking the ? based on others saying we could sign him to a 1 year deal. If we sign him to a one year deal, can we franchise him in 2022 with just the regular franchise tag, or would it count as a 2nd tag and have to pay the 120% deal

I don't know about the franchise tag, but he's 28 and will be looking to cash in with the best deal possible. I personally think scheme wise, the Steelers are the best bet. He'd also probably be smart to take a smaller deal with the Steelers where they would likely keep him throughout the entire duration of the contract and continually move money upfront through contract restructures. Instead, he'll probably go to a team that won't use him in a scheme fit, not use him to rush the QB as much, his numbers will drop and he'll eventually be a cap casualty.