• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Buy or Sell: Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Edition

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in the middle of an unusual off-season for the storied franchise. There are holes to fill and upgrades to be made at many positions. A lot of things need to be done in order for Mike Tomlin‘s team to be competitive in a stacked AFC. There have been many speculations about what the organization will do at several positions and the next two months will give us all a better idea of how the Steelers stack up against the rest of the AFC. Welcome to our off-season edition of Pittsburgh Steelers: Buy or Sell?

1.) The Steelers Will Draft An Offensive Lineman in the First Round​

There is no doubting that the offensive line is the biggest issue for Matt Canada‘s offense. Najee Harris is a star in the making and managed to rush for 1,200 yards even with a below average line in front of him. Investing in this group needs to be the top priority of the off-season. Regardless of who is at quarterback, a unit up front that can’t protect him or create big holes for Harris is a waste of talent. There are plenty of first round options at the position and I expect Kevin Colbert to target one of them at #20.

Analysis: Buy

2.) Mason Rudolph Will Head into OTAs as QB1​

This is a tough one. Coaches and members of the front office have already expressed confidence in Rudolph. Yet, many players are being asked in interviews about who will take over for Ben Roethlisberger and no one is supporting the Oklahoma State alum. There are still names out there like Deshaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo, Mitch Trubisky, Teddy Bridgewater, among others. Buying a first round draft choice on the offensive line removes a first round pick at quarterback, but what if one of the top guys falls into the 2nd round. There is too much uncertainty around this topic and while the Steeler way would be to give Rudolph a chance here, he has already had too many.

Analysis: Sell

3.) JuJu Smith-Schuster Will Be a Steeler in 2022

Smith-Schuster is heading into free agency for the second year in a row. The Steelers wide receiver position is anything but settled aside from Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool. This would have one assuming Smith-Schuster would be a viable option to bring back. Not so fast though. The Steelers could be involved in free agency more so than in the past. A wide receiver in the NFL Draft and making a bid for Ray-Ray McCloud at a lower cost is a more reasonable approach to expect. Free agency dollars are going to be spent elsewhere, not on Smith-Schuster.

Analysis: Sell

4.) The Steelers Will Draft More Offensive Players Than Defensive in 2022​

The Steelers are projected to have seven picks in this year’s draft including the compensatory pick for Bud Dupree. They have needs on both sides of the ball and typically draft more defensive players than offensive. This year is going to be drastically different. They need help at quarterback, running back, offensive line and wide receiver. So yea… pretty much every position on that side of the ball. While drafting for the defensive line helps and someone in the secondary is certainly possible, Tomlin and Colbert are going to attack the offensive side of the ball next month.

Analysis: Buy

Do you buy or sell the off-season talking points above? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

1) BUY (I want them to but my gut says we give away two draft picks this year to move up and over draft Tomlins boy)
2) BUY (Why not, most experienced Steeler QB)
3) SELL (Someone will over pay for him)
4) SELL ( I think it will be close)

1 Buy unless they miraculously pick up a G,C, and T in free agency. Which I am hoping they do and is what they should do.

2. Hard sell unless free agency doesn't bring in the QB... that they are on record saying competition will be added.

3 Buy- prefer he is resigned and he shouldn't cost a lot to do so.

4 Buy- They have more needs on the offensive side of the ball and I think CB will be addressed in free agency as well as SS.

1. Sell. We are getting a vet OL in FA, the rookie OL will be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.
2. Sell, he isn't beating Winston whom the team will sign.
3. Sell, unfortunately he is gone
4. Sell, will be half and half.

1. SELL. I’d be fine with the Steelers drafting an OL in round 1, but I have a sneaking suspicion a top WR will fall to them and they won’t be able to pass him up.

2. BUY. Rudolph will be the temporary starter as a courtesy only.

3. SELL. However, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if JuJu stayed. He did last year.

4. BUY.

1) Buy and I hope is a HIGH quality guy that fell to us, a no-brainer

2) rental, not buy or sell. he may be all we got

3) Buy but at the right price. I'd love to have JuJu back just for some toughness in the WR room

4) As with Mike Tomlin's near every year record they will go 3-3-1 with the one being a STs place kicker's holder

Salute the nation

Buy… i think one of tge top guys is going to fall to us, so barring us trading up for fools gold or getting tunnel vision on some second round talent we get a guy who can anchor the line for a decade

Buy… I dont think we take a first round qb and none of them will be ready to start year 1 anyhow … I feel like winston is going back to NO even if they are going to draft someone and trabinsky will be priced out of our range

We will bring in a cheap vet as a 4th qb to compete, but Rudy and Haskins will have the edge

Sell… Juju is already gone… he won’t make the same mistake coming back again

Sell… i think we see two ols and one wr for sure…… i would take a RB and maybe a later high risk/reward round qb too, but they will get a dl, ilb, cb and S instead… giving the d one more than the O