• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cam, Ben Unaware Of AVs Intentions To Support Medal of Honor Recipient

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Cam Heyward, Ben Roethlisberger unaware that Alejandro Villanueva would not honor Antwon Rose
Joe Rutter | Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Cameron Heyward, a team captain and a leader on the Pittsburgh Steelers social justice committee, was “surprised” that tackle Alejandro Villanueva did not display Antwon Rose Jr.’s name on the back of his helmet like the rest of his teammates in the season opener Monday night.

Steelers players voted to honor Rose, the 17-year-old who died after being shot by an East Pittsburgh police officer in 2018, by having his name written on their helmets for the “Monday Night Football” game at the New York Giants.

However, coach Mike Tomlin said he gave his blessing for Villanueva to support Alwyn Cashe, an Army sergeant who was killed in 2005 while on active duty in Iraq, instead of Rose.

Villanueva taped over Rose’s name and wrote in the name of Cashe, a Silver Star recipient who is up for the prestigious Medal of Honor.

“Honestly, I was unaware of it,” Heyward said Wednesday morning. “We had discussed it before and it was brought up to us. That is for him to comment on in the future. I’m not going to sit up here and speak for him. He’s his own man and we’ll move forward.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger also said he didn’t have advance warning that Villanueva was not going to honor Rose.

“I didn’t know about Al’s choice for the back of his helmet,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s his choice. That’s the amazing thing about the country we live in.”

For this season, the NFL is allowing players to place names of victims of police brutality and systemic racism on the padding of their helmets. Rose was shot in the back while he and another teen fled following a police stop.

Rose’s mother, Michelle Kenney, wrote on a Facebook post Tuesday night that was critical of Villanueva’s decision.

“The Pittsburgh Steelers took a team vote. Obviously, one person didn’t like the results, so they chose to do something different,” Kenney wrote, adding, “They came to me as a team/organization and I don’t care how good of an individual you are, if you are not a TEAM player, then maybe you are playing for the wrong team.”

Heyward, who was born in Pittsburgh and makes his home here in the offseason, helped spearhead the effort to have Rose recognized, and Tomlin called Kenney last week to ask for her permission for the players to display her son’s name on the players’ helmets.

“We chose the first game to represent her son,” Heyward said. “I don’t think she should … we chose to support her son. If she wants to make the community closer, that’s what we’ve got to do. Was it perfect at the end of the day? No, but as a collective unit we wanted to support her and her family.”

The Steelers also unfurled a large white banner during the playing of the national anthem Monday. The sign read, “Steelers against racism,” and included the hometowns of the team’s players.

“We were working on something that didn’t have to be politicized,” Heyward said. “We wanted to be straight forward to let you know that we are against racism, and we want to end racism."

“We have to grow not only as team but as a community to eradicate that.”

Link https://triblive.com/sports/cam-heyward-ben-roethlisberger-unaware-that-alejandro-villanueva-would-not-honor-antwon-rose/

I just put this here in P&R and not on the football board because it's obviously going to turn political and many of the posters up there don't want any part of it, but this is going to come up. So if any of them really want to talk about this, they can come here and join us.

My personal opinion, I don't like the way the article was titled, as if AV just blatantly chose not to honor someone -- as opposed to him choosing to honor someone who is near and dear to his heart. And Cam's comments were confusing to me. And the mother should have just kept her mouth shut IMO. The Pittsburgh Steelers on national television chose to recognize your son. It would have never happened otherwise, so can't you be happy with that and not spit on one player because they chose to recognize a different cause?

Forced to conform to this BS or you are ostracized. Or worse.

This happened many times in history and never ended well.

"Antwon Rose II was a 17-year-old African-American who was fatally shot in East Pittsburgh on June 19, 2018 by East Pittsburgh Police Officer Michael Rosfeld after being involved in a near-fatal drive-by shooting. He fled while officers were handcuffing the driver. Gunshot residue was later found on his hand."

Always sad when a life is lost, he made bad choices, which is why I have trouble honoring these individuals. If change is what this is all about, then people need to take their time and money to help these men make better decisions in life.

Eh, see now that this is already on the football board. Should be interesting discussion.

Eh, see now that this is already on the football board. Should be interesting discussion.

O no I’m sure now he must repent for not following suit. Thou shall cave, must not have opinion unless it is of our own. Cave. Cave. Now get in line.

Rapists and drive-by shooters deserve honor and respect; those who volunteer for military duty to protect rapists and drive-by shooters and then save six other soldiers by pulling them out of a burning vehicle, ignoring the obviously excruciating pain due to having his fuel-soaked uniform catch fire while doing so, deserve nothing but scorn.

Rapists, looters, thugs, gang-bangers and drive-byers YES, those who sacrifice everything and give their lives to save others NO.

Don't understand the resistance to that simple and inspiring message.

If the team or any of the players take action against him I will stop watching. I have said I don't really have a problem with the kneeling and the protests. I do have a real problem if everyone is forced or bullied into supporting the same positions, especially a veteran.

**** the NFL, and **** this team that I've loved for so many years. Political stuff and BLM crap is why I gave up on football, and all professional sports. Just doing a drive by here to see if there were any skin pics in the months I've been gone. Not seeing any hit or pass candidates. See ya.

**** the NFL, and **** this team that I've loved for so many years. Political stuff and BLM crap is why I gave up on football, and all professional sports. Just doing a drive by here to see if there were any skin pics in the months I've been gone. Not seeing any hit or pass candidates. See ya.

dont leave!!!

7c0047037630c3d51d828f5cc5126799.jpg

And I said it would be a shitshow weeks ago. Glad I'm not watching any of it. It's a damn shame after all of these years they turn it into a ******* circus of bullshit.

All of this honoring loser **** heads on helmets is retarded. The BLM marxist **** is a deal breaker as well.. They can't tell me they're ignorant of that.

Props to big Al. This bullshit doesn't belong in sports and you certainly shouldn't be forced or bullied into it

Then NFL had no problem at all fining and penalizing Tim Tebow for taking a knee to honor God. None.

The NFL had no problem barring the Cowgirls from putting the names of five police officers murdered by a racist BLM nutjob on their uniforms. None.

The NFL now allows players to kneel during our national anthem, and put the names of rapists and other various felons on their uniforms.

Forgive me if I don't find the current wimply, flaccid bowing and scraping to a group of violent anti-American marxist thugs to be acceptable.

I can not be held liable for being wrong what the net says there nationality/ethnicity is.

700full.jpg

3b3a8cb9e855bfb9ba19609327b09c29.jpg

darkbeauty3.jpg

swimsuit-twopiece-kk89s-1980-diffblacklime_1.jpg

85106258.jpg

8-8.jpg