• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cam Heyward On Ravens Rivalry: “The game has changed because of this game”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
55 games in the regular season. 4 playoff games. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens have matched up and have formed one of the biggest rivalries in pro football. A quick history of the rivalry shows that the feud began in the early 2000’s when both teams were at the peak of their powers. In a time when you had matchups like Ray Lewis against Ben Roethlisberger, many people would run to their televisions to watch these games. As a young child, just beginning to watch football in the late 2000’s, the primetime Ravens vs. Steelers games were always must watch, even for a kid from Connecticut. I am not alone in my admiration of this epic rivalry either.

“The game has changed because of this game,” said Steelers defensive lineman Cam Heyward, who has played several games in the rivalry. “Whether it’s the Hines Ward blocks, the hard hitting, the Ryan Clark hits. And then you look at the splash plays. Troy Polamalu. Lawrence Timmons. The Antonio Brown catch on the head. Them breaking Ben’s nose… There’s countless guys that have stood out. And you will be remembered for the games you play versus Baltimore.”

As I am looking online to find old games between the teams, I reminisce about my first few games watching the team. One of the oldest games I can possibly remember was that 2015 AFC Wild Card Game. The Ravens won 30-17 and this was one of the years where Joe Flacco was in the argument of best quarterback in the league. This was also the first time beating the Steelers after losses in 2018 and 2010. I remember being in high school and watching this game as I was really into watching the screaming matches that happened between First Take hosts, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. That was how I found out there was the game that weekend as I was more focused on trying to pass my pre-calculus homework than football. I must have been free that night because I definitely remember watching that game and thinking Joe Flacco would take over the league. It was a sad game for the Steelers but I was under the impression that the Ravens were the best team in the AFC that year. I was proven wrong the next round but that Steelers game was awesome.

In this rivalry, the two coaches have matched up against each other 32 times over their careers. Mike Tomlin leads the matchup over John Harbaugh 15-14 (2-1 in the playoffs). A truly all-time battle among two head coaches and franchises that have been around for quite some time, especially the Steelers.

Do you think there are any other rivalries in other sports that can compare to this NFL battle? Let me know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

from the article

LB Bart Scott

"The greatest thing I could say about Ben Roethlisberger is that he played like a Raven. That's something rare to say about an opponent, but Ben Roethlisberger would have been a great Raven."

"He was a guy that was always a willing brawler – twisted noses, broken bones. He's the Michael Myers of football. It's almost hard for me to believe that this could be his last game because Michael Myers has always played that game. You thought you killed him, you think you knocked him out of the game; he may lay there, but he usually gets back up. If this is the last time Ben Roethlisberger gets back up, all I can say is job well done and respect."
"For me, [I'll always remember] all that he's taken from me. Twice in my career, he's prevented me from going to the Super Bowl. People always believe that when I left the Ravens and went to the AFC East it was the Patriots I hated. No, even as a Jet, he stopped me from going to the Super Bowl. I went to three AFC championships in a row and he stopped me from going to the Super Bowl in two of them – once as a Raven and once as a Jet. So I genuinely do hate him. But that's the greatest sign of respect. I only hate him because of how he played and what he took from me. Ben, I hate you. I'm glad you're done."

I LOVE that quote from Cam...

“The game has changed because of this game. Whether it’s the Hines Ward blocks, the hard hitting, the Ryan Clark hits. And then you look at the splash plays. Troy Polamalu. Lawrence Timmons. The Antonio Brown catch on the head. Them breaking Ben’s nose… There’s countless guys that have stood out. And you will be remembered for the games you play versus Baltimore.”

That says it all for me. These kids need to know that this is what it's all about.

all the best Steeler rivalrys are physical battles

whether it is the current one with the ravens or back when football wasn't run by *******,the Steelers vs Raiders in the 70s.
Those two time periods. I would nod to the Bradshaw era but then I pause and think about what they have done to increase speed and body mass in the Hines Ward time period. They have watered down the product in the present era so they come in last in the equation for me. Some great football memories.

I stopped reading after Stephen A and Skip Bayless but the first couple points were true

55 games in the regular season. 4 playoff games. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens have matched up and have formed one of the biggest rivalries in pro football. A quick history of the rivalry shows that the feud began in the early 2000’s when both teams were at the peak of their powers. In a time when you had matchups like Ray Lewis against Ben Roethlisberger, many people would run to their televisions to watch these games. As a young child, just beginning to watch football in the late 2000’s, the primetime Ravens vs. Steelers games were always must watch, even for a kid from Connecticut. I am not alone in my admiration of this epic rivalry either.

“The game has changed because of this game,” said Steelers defensive lineman Cam Heyward, who has played several games in the rivalry. “Whether it’s the Hines Ward blocks, the hard hitting, the Ryan Clark hits. And then you look at the splash plays. Troy Polamalu. Lawrence Timmons. The Antonio Brown catch on the head. Them breaking Ben’s nose… There’s countless guys that have stood out. And you will be remembered for the games you play versus Baltimore.”

As I am looking online to find old games between the teams, I reminisce about my first few games watching the team. One of the oldest games I can possibly remember was that 2015 AFC Wild Card Game. The Ravens won 30-17 and this was one of the years where Joe Flacco was in the argument of best quarterback in the league. This was also the first time beating the Steelers after losses in 2018 and 2010. I remember being in high school and watching this game as I was really into watching the screaming matches that happened between First Take hosts, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. That was how I found out there was the game that weekend as I was more focused on trying to pass my pre-calculus homework than football. I must have been free that night because I definitely remember watching that game and thinking Joe Flacco would take over the league. It was a sad game for the Steelers but I was under the impression that the Ravens were the best team in the AFC that year. I was proven wrong the next round but that Steelers game was awesome.

In this rivalry, the two coaches have matched up against each other 32 times over their careers. Mike Tomlin leads the matchup over John Harbaugh 15-14 (2-1 in the playoffs). A truly all-time battle among two head coaches and franchises that have been around for quite some time, especially the Steelers.

Do you think there are any other rivalries in other sports that can compare to this NFL battle? Let me know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Other rivalries in other sports. That compare?
Hmm
Pens & Caps come to mind. However much like the Steelers/Ravens. Aging roster, new faces don’t make the rivalry what it was.

Rivals change with each generation.

Those two time periods. I would nod to the Bradshaw era but then I pause and think about what they have done to increase speed and body mass in the Hines Ward time period. They have watered down the product in the present era so they come in last in the equation for me. Some great football memories.
I don’t feel the current era has a rivalry like the 2000’s squad. It’s obvious. We fans carry it more than the players do lol

Caps vs Pens is epic sports. Hockey today buries NFL crap by a mile in terms of authentic sports and men being men.

It's not even close.

Caps vs Pens is epic sports. Hockey today buries NFL crap by a mile in terms of authentic sports and men being men.

It's not even close.
Not as big contracts. Different culture as well

The early 2000s Steelers-Ravens were unbelievable with the trash talk between the teams and that evolved into the most physical games I've ever seen as the time progressed. It's a bit sad all of those guys from these years are about to be retired. They are what made the rivalry special. Tomlin and Harbaugh are the only holdovers and I hope the new generation of players can maintain the same level of intensity in these games.

The early 2000s Steelers-Ravens were unbelievable with the trash talk between the teams and that evolved into the most physical games I've ever seen as the time progressed. It's a bit sad all of those guys from these years are about to be retired. They are what made the rivalry special. Tomlin and Harbaugh are the only holdovers and I hope the new generation of players can maintain the same level of intensity in these games.
They are retired lol

Ben isn't yet.
1 player doesn’t make a rivalry.
This rivalry hasn’t been as strong since 2013.

It’s a new era for the afcn. I want to see which teams decide to have a true hatred for each other like the 2000’s Steelers/Ravens

all the best Steeler rivalrys are physical battles

whether it is the current one with the ravens or back when football wasn't run by *******,the Steelers vs Raiders in the 70s.

Those Raiders games were awesome. Watched with my Dad and rabbit ear antennas.

@jiminoh
I’m a millennial so I got the best of both worlds tech wise. I prefer tech today. Utilized properly our lives are so much easier because

1 player doesn’t make a rivalry.
This rivalry hasn’t been as strong since 2013.

It’s a new era for the afcn. I want to see which teams decide to have a true hatred for each other like the 2000’s Steelers/Ravens
The only reason I would disagree with you, about it not being strong since ‘13, is the AB Christmas Day Immaculate Extension game for the division. That game had a story all its own, and had all the drama an average football fan could ask for. Even the next season, when the Steelers came back, and won on Sunday Night Football (when Ben threw for 500, I believe, and Watt strip sacked Flacco as time expired), that one had a lot of juice to it too.

Reactions: MTC
@jiminoh
I’m a millennial so I got the best of both worlds tech wise. I prefer tech today. Utilized properly our lives are so much easier because

In those days even the best TV's were probably no better than 480p. (Guessing) Add in some weather and you got lines and the snowy effect. I just remember the Raiders and Steelers really going at it. What you couldn't see, you could definitely hear. Brady and others wouldn't survive that. THAT was football.

Reactions: MTC
The only reason I would disagree with you, about it not being strong since ‘13, is the AB Christmas Day Immaculate Extension game for the division. That game had a story all its own, and had all the drama an average football fan could ask for. Even the next season, when the Steelers came back, and won on Sunday Night Football (when Ben threw for 500, I believe, and Watt strip sacked Flacco as time expired), that one had a lot of juice to it too.
I do have a different perspective as sports as well. I don’t like to correlate drama and sports together. For me it’s entertainment. Guess I’m just getting old lol.

I hate storylines and sports. I prefer teams just go in, get done and go home. All the tabloid storylines are just to draw in us fans. But I find as I get older it’s a selling point.

:p

But I do appreciate you refreshing my memory

In those days even the best TV's were probably no better than 480p. (Guessing) Add in some weather and you got lines and the snowy effect. I just remember the Raiders and Steelers really going at it. What you couldn't see, you could definitely hear. Brady and others wouldn't survive that. THAT was football.
Interesting. I’m becoming a fan of tech, history and just general growth in advancement.

I’ve taken a strong interest in all forms of tech post Great Depression. You get an idea and appreciation how far we’ve come yet how the convenience can be detrimental in a lot of aspects. I’ll save that for another subject however so as not to derail this thread

Interesting. I’m becoming a fan of tech, history and just general growth in advancement.

I’ve taken a strong interest in all forms of tech post Great Depression. You get an idea and appreciation how far we’ve come yet how the convenience can be detrimental in a lot of aspects. I’ll save that for another subject however so as not to derail this thread

Here's a quick one of many I got to experience live MTC. Count how many penalties you see in this 3:00 clip that don't get called vs what would be by today's standards. And ALL the guys just look damn big too.

Here's a quick one of many I got to experience live MTC. Count how many penalties you see in this 3:00 clip that don't get called back then that would be by today's standards. And ALL the guys just look damn big too.

Something a lot of older generation fans have a hard time grasping are generations/rules change.

Penalties are called more often today because of the science in strength & conditioning and diet have allowed these players to turn into machines. Even shorter players are really strong and fast. That said these players today are on contract which essentially is an investment by the owners. You invest in something you want to ensure you get the valued return or more and if that means more penalties to protect said investment well here ya go