• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cam Heyward: The “Overlooked” Steelers Legend

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As the Pittsburgh Steelers and Steeler Nation have celebrated the career of future Hall of Fame QB Ben Roethlisberger, they are also preparing to make an unexpected playoff run. But Roethlisberger is not the only veteran seeking to make history for his career and capture a Super Bowl ring for his legacy. Big Ben has a teammate who has been on the team for 10 years and is the man who most closely bridges the gap for the next generation of Steelers stars to understand what it really means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler: Cam Heyward.

While not as celebrated as the almost certain 2021 Defensive Player of the Year T.J. Watt, Heyward has been a stalwart of the Steelers defensive line since taking over as starter at DE for former first round pick Ziggy Hood in 2013. The 31st overall pick in a truly deep class at DE in 2011, Heyward has only gotten better with age and blossomed to the point to being voted Defensive Captain in 2015 (an honor he has held every season since) and has even clearly outplayed 3x Defensive Player of the Year and future Hall of Famer J.J. Watt since 2016. The Steelers sorely missed his presence when a pectoral injury cut short his season and effected the Steelers playoff run to the 2016 AFC Championship Game.

But upon Heyward’s return in 2017, he posted a career high 12 sacks, was named 1st team All Pro for the first time in his career and kicked off a run of 5 consecutive Pro Bowls. While T.J. Watt has rapidly marched up the ranks to be on the verge of overtaking James Harrison (80.5) as the Steelers All-Time sack leader, Heyward has made a push to also overtake the former Defensive Player of the Year with 68 career sacks of his own and is poised to pass up the unofficial tallies of Steelers legends Joe Greene (77.5) and L.C. Greenwood (78.0) – something all the more impressive as it was done from the 3-4 defensive line. He has made teammates better through his presence in a similar fashion to Greene, forcing double teams and allowing Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargrave and Tyson Alualu to flourish.

Heyward-Wattt-II.png

CBS Sports

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that Cam Heyward is Steelers stock through and through, as he followed in the footsteps of his father and Pittsburgh Panthers legend Craig “Ironhead” Heyward. He epitomizes everything that is Pittsburgh: tough, blue collar, no frills, hard work and impeccable character. He has been an unquestioned leader of the Steelers locker room for years and will carry that mantle on until he retires and passes it onto the next generation of Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

It does pose the question – considering the great play of Cam Heyward, who is almost certainly to be named All Pro again for a 4th time in 2021 on the heels of a 10-sack campaign – is he the best defensive lineman in Steelers history after the greatest Steeler of them all: Mean Joe Greene? Does he surpass the great play of Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Ernie Holmes, Dwight White and even L.C. Greenwood?

One thing is certain – this playoff run beginning on Sunday vs. the Kansas City Chiefs is just as much for Cam Heyward as it is for Big Ben – as the 10-year vet who just missed out on the 2000’s Super Bowl runs deserves to play in one of his own and even make a legitimate case for Canton.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don’t think he’s NFL HOF but he’s a classic Pittsburg Steeler through and through. Definitely under rated nationally. Will be in our own HOF one day no doubt.

I don’t think he’s NFL HOF but he’s a classic Pittsburg Steeler through and through. Definitely under rated nationally. Will be in our own HOF one day no doubt.
His career isn't over and its an outside shot if he can get a ring and average 11 sacks a year for 3 more years (to put him over 100)

Consider since 2016:
  • Cam Heyward: 46 sacks, 59 TFL, 5 FF, 2 INT, 5 FR, 28 PD, 343 tackles total
  • J.J. Watt: 27.5 sacks, 45 TFL, 11 FF, 1 INT, 3 FR, 18 PD, 176 tackles total
T.J. is on pace to shatter many of J.J. Watts marks as so many came early, maybe the 32-year old has some magic left in the tank?

His career isn't over and its an outside shot if he can get a ring and average 11 sacks a year for 3 more years (to put him over 100)

Consider since 2016:
  • Cam Heyward: 46 sacks, 59 TFL, 5 FF, 2 INT, 5 FR, 28 PD, 343 tackles total
  • J.J. Watt: 27.5 sacks, 45 TFL, 11 FF, 1 INT, 3 FR, 18 PD, 176 tackles total
T.J. is on pace to shatter many of J.J. Watts marks as so many came early, maybe the 32-year old has some magic left in the tank?
Hey, I love Cam. Can you at least put games played for each in those stats or downs played. I would think you know why I am asking. Fair is fair.

Reactions: FSF
I think there are good odds of him getting 20 sacks in 3 more seasons so that puts him at an upper echelon for 3-4 DT, add his great run D and ⁰his leadership attributes and he definitely is in a league of his own behind Joe Green

I believe that Cam is more like Aaron Smith, who was even overlooked in your write-up as an over-looked and underappreciated player. When Aaron was out with an injury, the Steeler's defense just wasn't the same. He was unbelievable player and deserves more appreciation in conversations concerning defensive linemen.

I like Cam, but (as pictured above) he did cost TJ Watt the sack record with that roughing-the-passer penalty. And more importantly to me personally, 60 bucks.

Hey, I love Cam. Can you at least put games played for each in those stats or downs played. I would think you know why I am asking. Fair is fair.
Watt missed considerable time:
  • 2016: 3 Games
  • 2017: 5 Games
  • 2019: 8 Games
  • 2021: 7 Games
So, is it a fair comparison? Maybe not, but in the grand scheme and at the end of the day (career), Heyward could have numbers very comparable to J.J. Watt, who did most of his great play early in his career. Injuries have definitely impacted J.J. Watt (and would I love him to be in Black and Gold next year -- hell yes), but it would be more to his leadership and character than what I would expect on the field at this point, though I still think he can play.

Still - Player for Player in going into 2022 - I would take Cam.

Heyward might not have been as dominant a player early in his career as J.J. Watt or Cam Jordan - but he also played a lot more DT in our scheme before it evolved around 2016 (Hargrave and Tuitt along side him) and he played more of a DE/DT hybrid. And if he can get his sacks to that triple digit level, I think he has a HoF shot. I also believe he can do it. But it definitely won't happen without help on that DL again.

I like Cam, but (as pictured above) he did cost TJ Watt the sack record with that roughing-the-passer penalty. And more importantly to me personally, 60 bucks.
Was bullshit call, and no guarantee the next play results in a full sack for T.J. Watt, leaving him .5 sack short of 22.5

They are petitioning NFL for the first time he was initially ruled for a sack then Ravens scorer changed it to FF and TFL. Should know by Wednesday if I am correct.

Last edited:
I believe that Cam is more like Aaron Smith, who was even overlooked in your write-up as an over-looked and underappreciated player. When Aaron was out with an injury, the Steeler's defense just wasn't the same. He was unbelievable player and deserves more appreciation in conversations concerning defensive linemen.
Absolutely not underestimating Aaron Smith. The fact that I am arguing (and fair to counter argue) that Cam is best DL since Greene speaks a lot to how good I think Cam has been, cuz Smith was a stud.

They were asked to do different things and fact his, there is just more quantifiable data to measure Cam by, fair or not. And if the Steelers switched to 4-3 with Cam, holy **** how good would he be. T.J. Watt's presence ensures that won't happen, but if he didn't drop to us in 2017, I bet the D would have changed alignments.

I think Cam should get some credit for the stats put by the guys around him, like Highsmith and Durpee. Just like Aaron Smith, his presence forces the OL to account for him in their scheme, enabling those around him to have less attention. I also think TJ gets singled up a lot because the D needs to choose their poison and double his side or Cam's.

I think Cam should get some credit for the stats put by the guys around him, like Highsmith and Durpee. Just like Aaron Smith, his presence forces the OL to account for him in their scheme, enabling those around him to have less attention. I also think TJ gets singled up a lot because the D needs to choose their poison and double his side or Cam's.
How do you quantify that?

That's the issue with Smith, Hampton and Keisel. Their job was to eat up the line, not make statistics.

That's the issue with Smith, Hampton and Keisel. Their job was to eat up the line, not make statistics.
Thosexarecthe kinds of technical superior guys that don’t get real consideration until the vet committee gets them….

I didn't suggest any method for quantification.....that's the point....thanks for explaining

Aaron Smith and Cam Heyward were the perfect players for each style of defense. Hampton was the plug in the middle, but Aaron Smith was probably the best defensive lineman on that defense. Just a master at his job as a dominant run defender. The Steelers didn't ask those guys to rush the passer and he finished the season twice with 8 sacks and had 44 for his career. Simply insane numbers.

Heyward was a part of the transition that moved away from occupying blockers to taking a more active role in the pass rush. Five seasons with 7 or more sacks and two with 10+ sacks. He's arguably gotten better with age and while is only their second best player on defense (and overall), he is the most consistent week in and out. I'm always amazed to watch him run 20+ yards down field to make a stop--which doesn't say much for the rest of the defense.

There ain’t no words to for Cam and his contributions not only to the team but to the city. Both he and Ben are once a generation players… the year Cam had this year has been off the chain! 10 sacks 90 tackles for a dt? Damn when we have guys like bush underachieving thk God for Cam! He’s a hofer maybe not first ballot buts he’s HOF.

For me Heyward doesn't need to match JJ Watt to be a HOF player. He just needs to continue being well Cam. A team leader, a power rusher, a damn good run defender in his own right in comparison to Aaron Smith. Smith was an underrated player but just not the pass rusher Cam is. For how solid Smith is, Cam is more than that. The complete package. He can do it all and all very well. I was a big Aaron Smith supporter and still am. But his level was not what Cam is showing. It just wasn't. And that is no slight on Aaron who was a damn solid component of that defense. I have no problem putting him behind Mean Joe entrenched in that second spot. I think back to a time period I thought Cam was just rounding off. An ok player. Not a long stretch just perhaps a season of thought. Then I blink and he seemingly got better and better. Which again for me is what edges him into such a high spot. He didn't round down when you would think he would. He just got better and better. Where Aaron needs to fight for his case I think by the time Cam puts that helmet down there will be no doubt he gets that gold jacket.

Last edited:
But wouldn’t that be a parameter as well? Availability…..something JJ hasn’t had the last few years.

But wouldn’t that be a parameter as well? Availability…..something JJ hasn’t had the last few years.
Of course it’s a parameter. All I ask is when you are comparing players stats you do it by presenting it with ALL the relevant facts. Then the reader can draw their own conclusions. The OP chose to compare Watt to Cam. Leaving out 23 games missed is probably the biggest stat there when comparing Two star players. I would say fairly relevant. Wouldn’t you?

Of course it’s a parameter. All I ask is when you are comparing players stats you do it by presenting it with ALL the relevant facts. Then the reader can draw their own conclusions. The OP chose to compare Watt to Cam. Leaving out 23 games missed is probably the biggest stat there when comparing Two star players. I would say fairly relevant. Wouldn’t you?
Comparing JJ to Cam? Your point is well founded, but the comparison model is difficult as a whole with the relevant facts. JJ has played as a 4-3 DE, Cam as both DE and DT in the 3-4. Different responsibilities due to different schemes. The statistical comparison for DE would be the first half of their careers, as Cam was listed as a DE. However the scheme dictated different responsibilities for each player as a DE. JJ‘s responsibilities are traditionally pull his ears back and rush the ball. Cam‘s role could be that or take up blockers for the LBs to make the play.

The second half of their careers it’s even more problematic, since JJ has missed so many games and Cam moved to DT. One thing for sure, Cam is the complete DL and can do it all. JJ hasn’t HAD to do that, nor would any 4-3 DL coach would want him to.

So it’s like apples to oranges IMO. Comparing JJ to his brother would be easier, as being a predominant pass rusher is the greater share of their responsibilities regardless of scheme.

Comparing JJ to Cam? Your point is well founded, but the comparison model is difficult as a whole with the relevant facts. JJ has played as a 4-3 DE, Cam as both DE and DT in the 3-4. Different responsibilities due to different schemes. The statistical comparison for DE would be the first half of their careers, as Cam was listed as a DE. However the scheme dictated different responsibilities for each player as a DE. JJ‘s responsibilities are traditionally pull his ears back and rush the ball. Cam‘s role could be that or take up blockers for the LBs to make the play.

The second half of their careers it’s even more problematic, since JJ has missed so many games and Cam moved to DT. One thing for sure, Cam is the complete DL and can do it all. JJ hasn’t HAD to do that, nor would any 4-3 DL coach would want him to.

So it’s like apples to oranges IMO. Comparing JJ to his brother would be easier, as being a predominant pass rusher is the greater share of their responsibilities regardless of scheme.
Geeeeez Ike. I wasn’t the one comparing. Maybe go back from the top down. Re read.