• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

CBS Sports Says Steelers 1 of 4 Teams Still in the Hunt for Tyrann Mathieu

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are coming to a cross roads. The NFL Draft will kick off on April 28th, and they could be in a position to draft one of the top safeties in the draft. While Kyle Hamilton is the top prospect it’s likely he won’t be on the board when the Steelers come onto the clock, but they should have a shot at Michigan safety Daxton Hill.

If Pittsburgh does select a safety in the first or secound round that should rule out Pro Bowl safety Tyrann Mathieu. Mathieu isn’t at a spot in his career where he’s going to want to groom his replacement. Him being in Pittsburgh would also prevent a rookie from getting onto the field in any situation outside of an injury. This Pittsburgh team has too many holes and areas of need to draft a player in the first round and not see him play at all.

Today CBS Sports senior NFL reporter Johnathan Jones joined fellow CBS Sports analyst Chris Hassel to talk about the remaining landing spots still available for Mathieu.

“It’s going to be up to Badger about what he ultimately wants,” Jones said. “You can go ahead and cross off Houston from that list, been there done that, not interested in going back to the Texans. Cross off the Detroit Lions from that list, I don’t really believe Washington has the money to afford Tyrann Mathieu. And so you’re looking at a Philadelphia, a Pittsburgh could always sign him to what equates to a one-year deal with a signing bonus even if it’s technically a two-year deal. New Orleans is always going to be in the mix for the LSU prospect. Theres a report out there about him joining the Rams because they don’t care about spending cash in the signing bonus it would be a very low cap number of course.”

CLICK PHOTO TO WATCH VIDEO​

Steelers Mathieu

Yesterday Steelers.com reporter Bob Labriola was on his Tuesday edition of ‘Asked and Answered’ if Pittsburgh was interested in Mathieu, and he confirmed that the team is indeed interested. But at the right price.

The Steelers have an interest in signing Tyrann Mathieu, and they would have enough cap space to sign him to a two-year contract for what they believe he is worth. The issue is whether Mathieu agrees with the Steelers’ assessment about what he is worth.
tyrann-1024x683.jpg

Jan 16, 2022; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Pat Freiermuth (88) is tackled by Kansas City Chiefs free safety Tyrann Mathieu (32) during the second half in an AFC Wild Card playoff football game at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

So count Steelers.com on the list of confirmed sources that Pittsburgh is interested in Mathieu. It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks as we count down to the draft. Will Mathieu decide he wants to sign prior to the draft, or after? Lets hope Mike Tomlin gives him another phone call soon.

Steelers Odds Slipping for Mathieu​

The Steelers have the sixth-best odds to land Mathieu at +750 according to one popular betting site. The Philadelphia Eagles have the best odds at +300, followed by the New Orleans Saints (+325), Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts (+650), New York Jets (+700) and the Steelers. The Field is at +400. These odds were released two days ago, and with the Colts signing Rodney McLeod they’re now likely out on Mathieu.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

It's about the money. Tyrann wants more than the STEELERS are offering, simple math at this point. I'd bring Edmonds back rather
than pay high $$$ching$$$.

I'd also be OK with Safty as our first pick if value was there.

What is our biggest need ? I'd think Saftey or WR but there are about 4 pretty important ones we could take a 1rd player for.

QB isn't one of them.

Salute the nation

At the right price, which has to be a good bit south of $10 million. I think the highest they can go is $8 million. He's probably looking for north of $10 million. They just can't give him that when Minkah is going to get $17 or $18 million. Tying up over $25 million in your safeties just doesn't make sense. If they sign Mathieu for $10, Tuitt absolutely has to go. Personally, I think he should go anyhow.

At the right price, which has to be a good bit south of $10 million. I think the highest they can go is $8 million. He's probably looking for north of $10 million. They just can't give him that when Minkah is going to get $17 or $18 million. Tying up over $25 million in your safeties just doesn't make sense. If they sign Mathieu for $10, Tuitt absolutely has to go. Personally, I think he should go anyhow.
I like that idea, let go Tuitt , get the honey badger and draft a 3-4 DT in the top 2 rounds, Wyatt, Mathis come to mind