• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chandler Jones

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
I believe he is a free agent at seasons end(unless they sign him to long deal). do you go after him. clearly they can't draft one any more. I sure would, Timmons 15 million will no longer be in the books. I make a strong play for him. we got about 3 yrs with Ben, it's time to scrap this draft ****, and get some pass rushers.

I agree. They just can't depend on the draft anymore, as the results just aren't there. They are going to have to spend some FA money if they want to fix this.

I wonder when Ben will realize he has 3 years left? He can't roll out stinkers like Sunday. He rolls 4-5 out of those a year. That is the difference between him and Brady. Ben stinks on the road. Well, unfortunately they play 8 road games a year, and because he stinks in those, they end up, if they make the playoffs, playing on the road.

So, while I agree with your assessment of the rush situation, I am just sick and tired of the "time with Ben" stuff.

Chandlers are usually pretty destructive and hard to train. pass.

That's not the way the team works.

We can see the "slotting" of salaries and their plan moving forward on defense. Heyward is the #1 guy. He has earned his stripes. A career Steeler. He will have the highest paid defensive salary on this team for a while. Maybe the next 3-4 seasons.

Shazier will be #2. He is going to get a huge salary despite all our concerns about his durability. The team is all-in on him. He might even get his extension next off-season.

No free agent is going to change those guys being #1 and #2 slots.

Now what happens AFTER that is open to debate. Mitchell looks to be #3 but I am telling everyone don't be surprised at all if Jarvis Jones gets the franchise tag and the team tries (maybe unsuccessfully) to slot Jarvis into a salary range in the #3 or #4 on the defensive side of the ball. That in the $7-$8 million range per season. When you look at our defensive roster, you have Heyward, Shazier, Tuitt (rookie deal), Mitchell, then who? A bunch of rookies in the secondary, Vince Williams (who is already slotted at the bottom of veterans).

I'll tell you who that slot is going to and it's not going to be a free agent. It's going to be Jarvis Jones. And he (and his agent) would be smart to jump all over it.

We can see the "slotting" of salaries and their plan moving forward on defense. Heyward is the #1 guy. He has earned his stripes. A career Steeler. He will have the highest paid defensive salary on this team for a while. Maybe the next 3-4 seasons.

Shazier will be #2. He is going to get a huge salary despite all our concerns about his durability. The team is all-in on him. He might even get his extension next off-season.

Now what happens AFTER that is open to debate. Mitchell looks to be #3 but I am telling everyone don't be surprised at all if Jarvis Jones gets the franchise tag and the team tries (maybe unsuccessfully) to slot Jarvis into a salary range in the #3 or #4 on the defensive side of the ball. That in the $7-$8 million range per season. When you look at our defensive roster, you have Heyward, Shazier, Tuitt (rookie deal), Mitchell, then who? A bunch of rookies in the secondary, Vince Williams (who is already slotted at the bottom of veterans).

I'll tell you who that slot is going to and it's not going to be a free agent. It's going to be Jarvis Jones. And he (and his agent) would be smart to jump all over it.

Yeah, if they offer JJ 7-8 m, he is signing that as it comes out of the printer. I wouldn't be pissed if they gave him 3-4m but 7-8 is bad.

I'm with Ark. The fact that the team didn't pay Jarvis his 5th year option, means he is not a 7-8M a year LB. I have his value being in the 3-4M range, and I'd be fine with that. His lack of durability and productivity has devalued him, and he would be a backup on almost every other team in the league.

So would Max Starks....

There is no way this football team should even offer Uncle Jarvis another contract. Let him move on and find a replacement either in the draft or thru FA that can actually rush the QB. He won't last in the league two years once he departs from here. He brings very little to the table.

With Shazier, that's a tough one. I have a hard time committing major bucks to a guy who simply cannot stay on the field. We're lucky to get 3/4 of a season from him to date so unless that changes I can't see how you commit major bucks to the guy.

This football team needs to address the DL, OLB'er, Safety and CB positions. Get rid of any dead wood and spend some money on quality defensive guys in FA. Ones that are healthy this time please. And you can't avoid drafting defensively the first two rounds.

There is no way this football team should even offer Uncle Jarvis another contract. Let him move on and find a replacement either in the draft or thru FA that can actually rush the QB. He won't last in the league two years once he departs from here. He brings very little to the table.

With Shazier, that's a tough one. I have a hard time committing major bucks to a guy who simply cannot stay on the field. We're lucky to get 3/4 of a season from him to date so unless that changes I can't see how you commit major bucks to the guy.

This football team needs to address the DL, OLB'er, Safety and CB positions. Get rid of any dead wood and spend some money on quality defensive guys in FA. Ones that are healthy this time please. And you can't avoid drafting defensively the first two rounds.
Have to agree on Shazier. It's tough to commit to a guy that has missed at least 1/3 of each of his first three seasons in the league. He truly is a "china doll". It would be great if he could play 15 or 16 games a year but with Shazier, you're lucky to get 10 games a season out of him. You just can't count on him so that means no big payday in my book.

As long as it's not Ross or Joey. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing Rachel.

The steelers seem to suck at drafting defensive players lately especially CBs and OLBs. In that time they seem to be able to find good WRs and Olineman have not worked out too bad. What I would do is dump timmons, stock up the offense through the draft, and then try to sign some proven defenders (at least one pass rusher and one CB). Hopefully Golson and Dupree will work out and we would be looking a lot better.

I don't know about that. I think we are looking at the nucleus of our DB's right now. If Gilbert pans out in any fashion whatsoever, that would seal that position up for at least the near future. We got 5 young athletes.

25 Burns, Artie R
31 Cockrell, Ross 3
22 Gay, William 10
24 Gilbert, Justin 3
20 Shabazz, Al-Hajj 1-ps
27 Golson, Senquez 2-ir

The safetys could use another good cover guy for center field but the squad would seem adequate after some added experience. Here we have 3 youngins and a couple solid players, find an upgrade for Thomas maybe ?

37 Dangerfield, Jordan 1
28 Davis, Sean R
21 Golden, Robert 5
23 Mitchell, Mike 8
29 Thomas, Shamarko 4
42 Hagen, Jacob 1-ps

If it was my money, I'd be lookin' for OLBers under any rock I could move. All I see is one good one, one questionable and a bunch of backups.

Our position at Guard is also as suspect as the DL...good to go till one goes down. Hawkins may be the answer next year..who knows ?

I would also want to be looking at QB's..if ya get my drift. Ours is starting to show just a little wear and tear that a body shop can't fix and it will take a couple years to break him in.

If this team sticks the franchise tag on Jarvis Jones I will never watch another Steelers game. Ever.

I don't hate JJ, but that would just show a commitment to mediocrity that I cannot accept.

Now what happens AFTER that is open to debate. Mitchell looks to be #3 but I am telling everyone don't be surprised at all if Jarvis Jones gets the franchise tag and the team tries (maybe unsuccessfully) to slot Jarvis into a salary range in the #3 or #4 on the defensive side of the ball. That in the $7-$8 million range per season. When you look at our defensive roster, you have Heyward, Shazier, Tuitt (rookie deal), Mitchell, then who? A bunch of rookies in the secondary, Vince Williams (who is already slotted at the bottom of veterans)

I mostly agree with this, hope to god that they don't tag Jarvis Jones. A strong season makes Tuitt a potential choice for that 2nd to 3rd salary slot on defense.

Jones at something like 4/16 or 5/22 would be something I wouldn't hang myself over. Especially if we can get out of it quickly. Chandler Jones is going to get some obscene wealth this offseason and will be tagged so there's little to no chance we do anything with him.

Also on the CB /OLBer convo, I still wonder if the lack of a true experienced coach at those positions, doesn't handcuff these areas.

In the offseason I think the coaches on the D side of the ball need a reboot, a long with bringing in one OLBer who is pass rusher capable...