• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chase Claypool is “using last year as learning lessons”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A hot topic among Steeler Nation has been third-year Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, Chase Claypool.

Claypool exploded onto the NFL scene in 2020 after being drafted by the Steelers in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft (pick No. 49 overall). As a rookie, he accounted for 11 total touchdowns (including two rushing), and was targeted 109 times resulting in 62 receptions for 873 yards. In 2021 however, although his numbers were nearly identical (105 targets, 59 receptions, 860 receiving yards), Claypool only accounted for two total touchdowns. Claypool played through a number of nagging injuries in 2021, endured inconsistent quarterback play, and only seemed to be used in specific situations throughout the season under newly promoted offensive coordinator, Matt Canada. One thing that did seem to be consistent however, was Claypool’s lack of focus on the football field:

That was the 8th penalty on Chase Claypool this season.

No other NFL WR has more than 5.

Claypool has been penalized 83 yards.
No other NFL WR has been more than 45.

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) December 10, 2021

We all remember the game against the Minnesota Vikings last December, and I’m sure that was the final straw for a lot of fans in Pittsburgh. At just 23 years of age however, I believe this is just the beginning of a long and illustrious career for the Notre Dame prodigy. As he continues to mature, the sky is the limit for Claypool. I think all of Steeler Nation can continue to be patient as we’ve seen young talent in Pittsburgh at the wide receiver position especially, take a few years to truly come into their own.

2022 is a new year. The Steelers are going through an obvious culture change with long-time veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger retiring after 18 seasons, a new defensive coordinator in Teryl Austin, and the arrival of Brian Flores. There are also still many holes to fill on the team’s roster on both sides of the ball, but I’m excited to know that who we have in-house already is prepared for the upcoming season and the challenges ahead. That includes players like Chase Claypool.

Claypool took to Twitter on Friday to briefly express his journey from last season, to where he sees himself entering the new NFL season in just a few short months:

So hyped for this off season!! Couple weeks in using last year as learning lessons, strengthening all my weaknesses. Constantly pushing my limits. Coming for it all next year #SteelersNation
🖤
💛

— Chase Claypool (@ChaseClaypool) March 12, 2022

Yinz love to see it.

Chase Claypool has all of the tools to be an elite WR1 in this league. At 6’4″, 238lbs., there aren’t too many defensive backs who can matchup consistently with this young talent. I believe Claypool is fully aware of the criticism he’s taken in 2021, embraced the trials he’s already faced in his young career, and will use all of that to fuel him to be the best version of himself, on and off the field in 2022.

Good luck, Chase. I’m #TeamMapletron all the way and I’m excited to see you continue to blossom in Pittsburgh, no matter who the starting quarterback will be this coming season.

Do yinz think Claypool is poised and ready for another breakout year in 2022? Obviously. *Mike Tomlin voice*

Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I'll ask the question here. I always get the impression that our WR struggle to get separation or run free... Always seem to be tightly locked up. Is this a personnel issue, a scheme issue or both?

Whether it’s maturity, true love of the game, or just straight up realizing he has 2 years to cash in on a 2nd contract from anyone in the league, we should get 2 years of solid effort I would expect…..

If I’m Claypool, I’m watching film of Mike Evans all offseason. Not necessarily the same skills, but another big receiver who just goes out and produces.

He needs how to learn how to use his size as an advantage and stay on his feet when jumping for a ball.

And, Claypool needs to be in front of a jugs machine daily and he needs to do that tennis ball thing daily that DJ started doing.

He also needs to aquire the "I'm not the ***** but I am the ***** slapper" on field presence. He should easily out muscle DB regularly.

I hope he is working on all aspects but body positioning should be a priority. High pointing as well.

YES, the JUGGs machine. If catching footballs was my income I'd own a JUGGs machine and my friends / neighbors / family / team mates + would all be sick of feeding my machine.

**** AB but he owned one, JuJu did too so why not Chase...................???

I fully think Chase will be showing great improvement and catching range upon return this year. His demeanor / physicallity / and overall production will be directly tied to how the ****-nuts OC calls the game. If offense is called a little better I don't see why he can't easily break 1000 yrds.and drawing more defensive attention thus opening others up.

Salute the nation