• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chicago won’t allow high school students to graduate without a plan for the future

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
What do you do when your state is out of money and your public schools are failing at the core responsibility of teaching? Of course you add a ridiculous graduation requirement that does nothing to help the academics and requires more faculty dedicated to something other than teaching!

CHICAGO — To graduate from a public high school in Chicago, students will soon have to meet a new and unusual requirement: They must show that they’ve secured a job or received a letter of acceptance to college, a trade apprenticeship, a gap year program or the military.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) said he wants to make clear that the nation’s third-largest school system is not just responsible for shepherding teenagers to the end of their senior year, but also for setting them on a path to a productive future.

You can't make this **** up. Now the state is going set up productive futures by slapping a bullshit graduation requirement on the poor students of one of the shittiest school systems in the country.

Experts say Chicago Public Schools is the first big-city system to make post-graduation plans a graduation requirement. But the question is whether the cash-strapped district can provide enough mentoring and counseling to help its neediest students succeed when the rule takes effect in 2020.

The problem for the school system is not to figure out what to do with kids who didn't learn enough to participate when they graduate. The problem for the schools is to do a better job of teaching.

The article reads like a satire, but it is actually happening - https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...611861a988f_story.html?utm_term=.b4ed984b3072

Chicago, like Detroit, is a shining example of failed Democratic liberal policies. It should be clear to a five year old.

I understand WHY the school did this....BUT....I disagree that it should be a requirement.

More kids will just say "**** it' and not graduate.
Quinn's First Law: "Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of it's stated intent."

I don't understand how this would even work. What if someone wants to take a year off? How can you just say well your ******.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

Complete and utter stupidity that will backfire and lower already poor the Graduation rates. Bureaucrats........

A new requirement requires a larger bureaucracy in place that will implement it.

Umm.... large bureaucracies are what have put American public schools in the toilet for generations now.

I don't understand how this would even work. What if someone wants to take a year off? How can you just say well your ******.

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

Probably works the same way unemployment works. Just pretend to get a job.
I do think the mandate may help a few kids who need a little boost. If it helps 5% or 1% or 1 kid then that us better than nothing.

If it helps 5% or 1% or 1 kid then that us better than nothing.
I am trying to imagine how many government mandates, and how bid and expensive the government would be if that was the formal threshold for new mandates and programs.