• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

CJ Lester’s Mock Draft 2.0

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers‘ 2021 NFL season came to a close with another first round playoff exit. The Steelers go into the offseason with many holes to fill along the offensive line, middle linebacker, cornerback, defensive line, safety, and for the first time in 18 years, quarterback. The Steelers have addressed quite a few positional needs through free agency and have had their most aggressive free agency period in a long time! The Steelers signed QB Mitch Trubisky, OL Mason Cole, OL James Daniels, WR/PR Gunner Olszewski, CB Levi Wallace, and LB Myles Jack. I also expect the Steelers’ front office to address the need at safety through free agency due to the rumor mill and the team being linked to players like Terrell Edmunds, Tyrann Mathieu, or Damontae Kazee.

A lot of fans are hoping the Steelers will draft the successor to future first ballot Hall of Fame QB Ben Roethlisberger. The further we get into the draft process by following the NFL Combine and Pro Days, it’s getting more and more obvious that the Steelers are being very flirtatious with this QB class. The Steelers sent the house to several Pro Days including Pittsburgh, Liberty, Cincinnati, and Ole Miss. Just to be clear, it seems the Steelers signed Trubisky to be the starter, but that doesn’t mean the Steelers are going to pass on a QB in the first round of the draft. In fact, it makes more sense to take a QB in round 1 with having the opportunity for the rookie to sit and develop instead of being expected to be the day 1 starter.

With those things in mind, here is what I did with my second mock draft on thedraftnetwork.com:

Round 1: Pick 20

The Pittsburgh Steelers select QB Malik Willis (6’1” 219 lbs.) from Liberty.

The Steelers sent the house to the Liberty Pro Day. Reports later came out that Head Coach Mike Tomlin sat down for dinner with Willis the night before. The interest is real. Some mocks that I’ve seen don’t even have Willis being drafted in the first round and others have him being taken in the top 10. In this scenario, Willis was available at 20, but the Steelers may have to trade up to get him if he is their guy. Willis has a very talented arm and is mobile, something that is extremely important for the direction the organization wants to go in regards to the quarterback position. I think Willis has the tools, and a year to sit behind Trubisky to develop would be exceptional for him. It would be a great scenario for both parties.

Round 2: Pick 52

The Pittsburgh Steelers select WR Skyy Moore (5’10” 195 lbs.) from Western Michigan.

The Steelers have a big need at the receiver position, especially now with WR’s JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington and Ray-Ray McCloud leaving in free agency. The moment those three things happened and even with the addition of Olszewski, the Steelers will most likely add another free agent receiver as well as add another via the draft. Moore is an ideal slot receiver who can create separation and has great hands. Moore would be a great addition to this receiving corps.

Round 3: Pick 84

The Pittsburgh Steelers select LB Troy Andersen (6’4” 233 lbs.) from Montana State.

This is another position the Steelers could probably address earlier on in the draft. This team’s inside linebackers were probably one of the biggest weaknesses of the defense in 2021. They struggled against the run, against the pass, and they struggled tackling. Hopefully, Devin Bush has a bounce back year this year, but the Steelers will still need to add to the room regardless. Andersen would be a great special teams’ player from the get go and a huge upgrade as a rotational piece to sub in and out to spare Bush and newly acquired Jack. Andersen would be great as an insurance policy if Bush isn’t able to bounce back and find his way.

Round 4: Pick 138

The Pittsburgh Steelers select IDL Eyioma Uwazurike (6’5.5” 319 lbs.) from Iowa State.

The Steelers did re-sign Montravius Adams, but when the talent is there, it’s hard to pass on. Uwazurike is a physical player who is capable of getting the job done in the trenches and penetrating. He plays extremely well against the run and the Steelers’ defense really struggled against the run without Stephon Tuitt all season, especially once NT Tyson Alualu went down with a season-ending injury. With Tuitt’s football future up in the air, this selection becomes that much more valuable if Tuitt decides to call it a career, however Tuitt has been rumored to be back in the Steelers’ facility this past week.

Round 6: Pick 208 (via Kansas City Chiefs in Melvin Ingram trade)

The Pittsburgh Steelers select CB Damarion Williams (5’10” 180 lbs.) from Houston.

The Steelers were able to re-sign CB Ahkello Witherspoon in addition to Wallace as well. With CB Cam Sutton coming back and likely to play slot corner, the top three corner spots should be locked in for next season, The Steelers could still benefit from adding more youth to the room. Williams has the versatility to play slot corner or safety. The Steelers love defensive backs with that kind of versatility, for example Sutton. Williams has dynamic closing speed and is a supreme tackler, which is held high to the Steelers’ organization in the cornerback position.

Round 7: Pick 225

The Pittsburgh Steelers select OT Andrew Stueber (6’7” 338 lbs.) from Michigan.

The Steelers were able to re-sign OT Chukwuma Okorafor this offseason briefly after the free agency window opened. This need could also be addressed much earlier in the draft, but I decided to go best player available for positional needs. Stueber is projected to be a mid-round pick according to several other mock drafts. When he was still on the board in this mock scenario, I had to take him. Stueber is best fit in a run heavy offense, which the Steelers seem to be well prepared to play that style of football on offense. In the 7th round, this is a great value pick!

Round 7: Pick 241

The Pittsburgh Steelers select RB Jerrion Ealy (5’8” 190 lbs.) from Ole Miss.

The Steelers are in a big need of a RB2. Whether it be through free agency with a running back on a minimum contract or through the draft, they need a RB2 to spell dynamic RB Najee Harris. He is a workhorse, but the Steelers don’t need to run him into the ground by overusing him. Ealy would be a great addition to the running back room and is a stereotypical “scatback.” As a junior, Ealy rushed for 1,700 yards and 32 touchdowns. He did not lack production by any means. He is a do it all back and would be a tremendous option to spell Harris.

The 2022 NFL Draft will be here before you know it! How do you see the Steelers spending their draft picks? Sound off in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I was looking at Skyy Moore some time ago. Hoping that we could get him as a sleeper in the 4th or 3rd. Then he did great at the combine,and the media is definitely moving him up. Too bad as I was hoping not to draft WR until the 3rd. He used to be a QB and is only 20. A perfect Steeler fit.
Ford has him as a 4th round pick on his big board.

Would like Trevor Penning in the 1st. I am hoping there is a run on the QB’s earlier than us,and WR’s. And I sure as hell hope we don’t trade up. There is no way Davis falls to us,and I sure as hell hope they don’t trade up for a DL.

My big hope would be for one of the CB to fall to us. Gardner or Stingley. But that won’t happen. Trading down and getting Elam would work for me as well. He flies. We need some team speed. We are lacking.

Our Division has QB and WR talent. I think our secondary basically sucks. And has for a long time. If it wasn’t for TJ and his constant pressure they’d be at the bottom of the pile.

I’d love Ealy and Moore. You got to think Tomlin knows Moore fairly well seeing he was his kids QB in high school.

I love it I would add in the 5th Hieligh WR Coastal Carolina he and Moore would give us 2 great vertical threats killer for catch and run.