• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College kids are using student loans for wild spring break trips

Spike

Reaction score
It's that time of year again

A growing number of students, it seems, will use their student loans to fund their upcoming fun-in-the-sun spring breaks

170309-spring-break-parties-feature.jpg

About 30 percent of American students will tap into their college debt to pay for their wild week-long holidays.

'Students should minimize their borrowing during their college years and live a sparse lifestyle — but no one wants to hear that when their fraternity brothers or sorority sisters are packing up to Cabo for the week,' said Greg McBride, chief financial analyst of Bankrate.com.

'It's like putting spring break on a credit card, but this one is subsidized by taxpayers,' McBride added.

The average college student graduates with $28,000 in loans. The default rate on those loans is 11.8 percent, according to LendEDU.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/08/college-kids-are-using-student-loans-for-wild-spring-break-trips/

------------------------------

3E0F24B100000578-4295400-image-a-119_1489090511370.jpg

3E0F25E100000578-4295400-image-a-14_1489069661235.jpg

3E0F25C100000578-4295400-Party_on_Girls_continued_to_dance_on_stage_for_the_crowd_and_the-a-11_1489157597722.jpg

Womyns studies, art history and sociology majors with no hope of paying them back.

I don't care what they say, a PhD in Womyns studies is pretty good for a girl.

"Abortion rallies are great places to pick up women." -- Chris Rock

Womyns studies, art history and sociology majors with no hope of paying them back.

Chatham College here in Pgh actually has a major in social justice. Who would hire one of those freakazoids?

When I went to college at Pitt, tuition was more like 4K than 40K. I have no ******* idea how this system is sustainable. Unfortunately I will be sending my kids to college before any tipping point changes things..

When I went to college at Pitt, tuition was more like 4K than 40K. I have no ******* idea how this system is sustainable. Unfortunately I will be sending my kids to college before any tipping point changes things..

I feel your pain. Since wife and I actually work for a living, the ******* colleges my kids attended and the government considered us rich - so we paid for their education.

A lot.

When the govt pumps more easy money into the system, colleges will raise tuition and invent majors for everybody to take advantage of it.

When the govt pumps more easy money into the system, colleges will raise tuition and invent majors for everybody to take advantage of it.

Yep.

The federal government has boosted aid to families in recent decades to make college more affordable. A new study from the New York Federal Reserve faults these policies for enabling college institutions to aggressively raise tuitions.

The implication is the federal government is fueling a vicious cycle of higher prices and government aid that ultimately could cost taxpayers and price some Americans out of higher education, similar to what some economists contend happened with the housing bubble.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...se-the-price-of-college-tuition/#166425e745a2

Gonna move back to Athens, GA and major in Batman studies

While we are on the subject of college, this is an " about time " moment.

The Middlebury College faculty is standing up for free speech.

Responding to the actions of some of its students whose protests shut down a planned talk by Charles Murray and injured a professor, a group of Middlebury faculty has put out a statement of principles. These include:

“Exposure to controversial points of view does not constitute violence.

“Students have the right to challenge and to protest non-disruptively the views of their professors and guest speakers.

“A protest that prevents campus speakers from communicating with their audience is a coercive act.

“No group of professors or students has the right to act as final arbiter of the opinions that students may entertain.

“No group of professors or students has the right to determine for the entire community that a question is closed for discussion.

“The purpose of college is not to make faculty or students comfortable in their opinions and prejudices.

“The purpose of education is not the promotion of any particular political or social agenda.

“The primary purpose of higher education is the cultivation of the mind, thus allowing for intelligence to do the hard work of assimilating and sorting information and drawing rational conclusions.”
https://freeinquiryblog.wordpress.c...kTG9wZ0lOVTRvQTVnQlJTOGxUZG9MUWZ2TkhKMEwwUiJ9

Well, as they say..........."that's one" at least.

imageedit_20_8535101819.jpg

this thread is about SPRING BREAK!

traffic on 98 from Panama City to Pensacola will be a nightmare for 5 weeks

I feel your pain. Since wife and I actually work for a living, the ******* colleges my kids attended and the government considered us rich - so we paid for their education.

A lot.

My uncle wanted to get a divorce so his kids would qualify for more student aid.