• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Concussion Protocol is Racist

mdk2

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...on-former-black-players-nfl-concussion-claims

Looks like Dookie Davenport is apart of the lawsuit against the NFL. Claiming that the protocol base line was lower for him and other black players and therefore, they were under diagnosed for concussions.

Basically the lawsuit is about not getting compensated for a decrease in intelligence because he was already shown to have a lower intelligence so there's no way to prove the concussions caused it.

Last edited:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...on-former-black-players-nfl-concussion-claims

Looks like Dookie Davenport is apart of the lawsuit against the NFL. Claiming that the protocol base line was lower for him and other black players and therefore, they were under diagnosed for concussions.

Basically the lawsuit is about not getting compensated for a decrease in intelligence because he was already shown to have a lower intelligence so there's no way to prove the concussions caused it.

That is a tricky slope, as there is no way to measure cognitive decline if there is no individual baseline to go off of. I would think that as a scientific community you would have various generic baselines based off of education level, GPA, major...etc. that you could then base your cognitive abilities on and not just on skin color alone. If they are truly basing the lower cognitive abilities on race alone, I would definitely say they have a legitimate case, but without knowing how they are generating their baseline there is no way to know for certain.

That is a tricky slope, as there is no way to measure cognitive decline if there is no individual baseline to go off of. I would think that as a scientific community you would have various generic baselines based off of education level, GPA, major...etc. that you could then base your cognitive abilities on and not just on skin color alone. If they are truly basing the lower cognitive abilities on race alone, I would definitely say they have a legitimate case, but without knowing how they are generating their baseline there is no way to know for certain.

I agree but for that period of time, couldn't the argument be had that they had these measurements in place to make sure those players were protected no matter what their protocols detailed.
It's not like these doctors knew that years and years down the road there would be all sorts of lawsuits and legal trouble with concussions and they wanted to make sure the black players couldn't be compensated for it.
I just find it very hard to believe these doctors intentions were racially engineered, I think they were trying to use their best criteria to understand when a player was concussed.

According to the article, they are using race, and different baselines according specific races, to award payouts.

At issue is a process called "race-norming," which has been used by scientists for decades as a way to correct for the lower levels of education often found in minority communities. It was designed to prevent the overdiagnosis of cognitive impairment in these communities

The NFL is going to have a difficult time trying to defend a position utilizing the above quote, when NFL athletes all have higher educations and a much greater socio-economic status than stating minorities are poor and therefore dumber, so we should make it harder for them to get tested or awarded for cognitive impairment.

What a crock of ****. The NFL continously digs the ******* hole deeper yet everyone closes their eyes.

It's not just the game that has gone to **** but also the integrity has left the building.

Salute the nation