• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Congress calls for a war games 'flyoff' between 40 year old A-10 and new $400bn F-35

Spike

Reaction score
Once again, I have to go to the Brits to find any real news

The custom-designed F-35 striker jets cost more than $100 million each ...

004A79C100000258-0-image-m-9_1461870523531.jpg
0B4ECD9A000005DC-0-image-a-10_1461870532194.jpg

It is a military showdown that could prove to be very embarrassing. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the world's most expensive weapon, is set to face off in upcoming testing with the Air Force's 40 year old A-10 Thunderbolt II...

The F-35 is supposed to to take over the A-10's 40 year role of supporting ground forces with its titanium armor and powerful nose cannon. However, now experts believe that for many missions, the older aircraft may actually perform better - and say the two could even fly together in some missions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ar-old-10-new-400bn-F-35-jets-really-gun.html

-----------------------------

Go A-10's!

Just give the A10 to the army already and get the Airscouts out of the CAS business. Thats what they want anyway. The best course of action would be to give every Division a mixed squadron of A10s and spotter aircraft. Let the Air Force concentrate on air superiority and deep strike since thats all they really want to do.

A-10...all they way.

2000x1365_q95.jpg

A10Shark.jpg

6086573130_f5ef8b56df_b.jpg

190th Skullbangers Noseart Proposal
5426012598_b1ae54b1eb_z.jpg

That is awesome. Sounds like both are needed.

The F22 is a much better aircraft than the F35. They should scrap the F35 and buy more F22s. The F35 is a boondoggle of epic proportions.

Just give the A10 to the army already and get the Airscouts out of the CAS business.

yep, leave the close air support to the Army - but the generals want their shiny new toys and won't give up their old toys that make them look bad - the AF has tried to mothball the A-10's for decades, because it's too cheap, until war comes along again

That is awesome. Sounds like both are needed.

Yes this is definitely worth $400 billion. Country is going broke.... trillions in debt.... gotta cut social security... Medicare... gotta stop helping families where both parents are working but still having trouble putting food on the table because by the time they pay the rent, utilities, car payments, there just isn't enough left to buy groceries.... can't afford to help people get health insurance so they don't end up having to file bankruptcy because of a two week stint in the hospital.... definitely have to end things like the Pell grant program which has helped millions of young people afford college when they otherwise wouldn't have been able to...all this **** has to go. But this.... this is money well spent. I honestly don't even know what to say anymore.

Yes this is definitely worth $400 billion. Country is going broke.... trillions in debt.... gotta cut social security... Medicare... gotta stop helping families where both parents are working but still having trouble putting food on the table because by the time they pay the rent, utilities, car payments, there just isn't enough left to buy groceries.... can't afford to help people get health insurance so they don't end up having to file bankruptcy because of a two week stint in the hospital.... definitely have to end things like the Pell grant program which has helped millions of young people afford college when they otherwise wouldn't have been able to...all this **** has to go. But this.... this is money well spent. I honestly don't even know what to say anymore.

I have a better idea. Lets spend another Trillion dollars are bogus ******* climate studies that parse and manipulate data in order to get even more money out of people through fear mongering. Talk about getting rid of something useless. That would put some food on a lot of tables too. Give me the fighter jets. At least they have a ******* purpose.

Last edited:
I have a better idea. Lets spend another Trillion dollars are bogus ******* climate studies that parse and manipulate data in order to get even more money out of people through fear mongering. Talk about getting rid of something useless. That would put some food on a lot of tables too. Give me the fighter jets. At least they have a ******* purpose.

Even better yet... how about we eliminate both? I read in an article that we give United Technologies, the parent company of Carrier, something like $1.5 billion for r&d. So basically the taxpayers foot the bill for their development of new **** that they turn around and sell back to us for top dollar. How about we stop doing **** like this too.

Nothing can do the Warthog's job better than the Warthog. Nothing.

As a non military person, how about asking actually military folks about what works, what doesn't, why and move the bar. Spending money on a shiny toy that can be out gunned by a classic car. Come on. Know what works and stick to it

They should just jazz up those warthogs and make more of them.

As a non military person, how about asking actually military folks about what works, what doesn't, why and move the bar. Spending money on a shiny toy that can be out gunned by a classic car. Come on. Know what works and stick to it

They do that. Extensively. Then they agree on it, and there are a lot of compromises, then they commit 20+ years of production on it. It's not about shiny toys.

I read that the Gatling on the F-35 will not even be operational until 2019. The new Gatling on the F-35 will be a four-barrel with the plane only being able to store 182 rounds max. The A-10 has a 7 barrel config and can hold 1200 rounds. Serious....the AF is neck-deep with the F-35 and can't turn back now. What they should have done is a major technical upgrade block to the A-10.