• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cop Uses PIT Maneuver On Basic Traffic Violation Stop

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
I'd like to know the full story here...did the license plate map to an owner that has a warrant out for a dangerous offense? If there is no more to the story than a simple traffic stop than the cop needs to some major discipline.

From everything I've seen/read about this case, there was no warrant out for her arrest. Looks like she was simply speeding. When he turned on the lights, she slowed down and used her hazards to indicate she was complying, the shoulder was just too small as a safe spot to pull over (and it didn't look like there were any exits nearby), and it was at night and she's pregnant. From the video, seems pretty clear to me. He also claimed she tried to flee. You see that anywhere on the video? I don't.

I'm typically on the side of LEOs, but using a PIT maneuver on a vehicle that was only speeding, was obviously slowing down & using their hazards/signal until they found a safe spot to pull over is crazy to me. I'm also dumbfounded how that idiot Lieutenant who once he was pulled over kept asking "what's going on?" while they continuously asked him to step out of the vehicle got viral outrage - but this was barely a blip on the radar.

If that is the case, he needs retraining and some harsh discipline. There is no reason for that use of force. none.

View attachment 5387

I wonder why there weren't any protests or seething outrage over this?

Wtf? I wouldn't pull over either in that location. You have no safe spot for either of you. A state trooper should know better. **** people get slammed into all the time on the side of the road. I'd have to sue them for that ****.

What also baffles me is his nonchalant demeanor even after he saw he actually flipped a vehicle on an expressway. And his comment "well, this is where you ended up".

I understand using a PIT maneuver during a high-speed chase in heavy traffic that could endanger innocent bystanders, but this is just bizarro world stuff to me.

Ok I’ve been in This situation before. While looking for a good place to pull over I’m going at a crawl speed with said turn signal on. She was catching up to the car that was in front of her.

if putting your flashers on was all that’s needed for cops just to wait I’d be flying around in the 5.0 with those on all day.

OK....

Had that person been a minority, we all know what would have happened.

This action by this police officer was utterly unwarranted. I (as has been said) would not have pulled over there either.

Reminds me of a personal story involving my college roommate. Got out of college, went to work for a Senator in DC. A couple years out of college, he goes out one night, drinks a few too many, stupidly decides to drive home on the D.C. beltway. Gets pulled over by a black female state trooper. On a shoulder almost exactly like this. He gets arrested, goes to jail, had to have dad come bail him out.

Mandatory court date comes, he goes to court with his dad. Eventually they call his case, he approaches the bench. Immediately the judge says to him something to the effect of "Sir, without the officer present, and without witness to your crime, there can be no crime against you. All charges are dropped." The state trooper wasn't there. Dumbfounded but relieved, he leaves court.

But he's bent on figuring out why she didn't show up. LEOs don't miss court for serious offenses like DUIs.

This is the early 90s, weak internet available but he eventually finds out that she had been involved in another traffic stop on the beltway. As she was standing at the drivers window of that car she pulled over, she was clipped by a passing car and killed on the spot.

He said it shook him hard (good) and he never got behind the wheel again after drinking because of this (good). Great learning experience for him.

Point is...those shoulders with a concrete barrier are the worst places you can pull over and every cop knows this. Why he insisted she pull over there and pulled that maneuver is reckless and should cause outrage.