• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Crazy thing about this FA signing class, Colbert's very last...

The Carbon Cycle

Registered
Reaction score
Though this group of rookies looks promising, still too early to tell how Colbert's last draft class will turn out.

The FA signings this spring, on the other hand, seem historic in nature.

Can't remember a point in time the Steelers brought in this much quality in one FA period.

Think about it, for a sec:

- Trubinsky is the best QB on the roster, until Pickett proves otherwise.
- Mason Cole is our best center, an established vet, pushes Green to backup role.
- James Daniels is by far the best guard & best interior lineman on the team
- Levi Wallace is our CB1. Who's better? Witherspoon? Cam Sutton? I don't think so.
- Myles Jack immediately is our best inside linebacker. Don't agree? Put on the tape.
- And finally, former All-Pro returner Gunner Olszewski is easily the best return man.

Count 'em. That's six incoming FA signings, each the best at their position on the depth chart. Most importantly, none of their deals broke the bank.

They're all well under 30 years old. Wallace (26), Cole (26), Daniels (24), Trubisky (27), Olszewski (25), Jack (26).

Add in further depth signings in Boykin (25), Avery (27), and Kazee (28), you begin to get a sense what a massive haul this may turn out to be.

Apologies for the puff piece, teeming with optimism. It seems a whole lot of things clicked this offseason for the Steelers front office, facing an unprecedented challenge of having to re-stock the roster to begin the post-Ben era. Color me impressed.

Optimism is ok. Never hurts to have some. I will say the haul overall has potential. My area of concern is at NT,RT, and DE. I think the QB room will sort itself out but sure there is a level of concern if the group will supply steady play. Will Canada show signs of life? Will the D be solid when it counts?

I do like the talent level. On paper they seem to have enough talent to do well.

Though this group of rookies looks promising, still too early to tell how Colbert's last draft class will turn out.

Can't remember a point in time the Steelers brought in this much quality in one FA period.

- Mason Cole is our best center, an established vet, pushes Green to backup role.
- Levi Wallace is our CB1. Who's better? Witherspoon? Cam Sutton? I don't think so.
- Myles Jack immediately is our best inside linebacker. Don't agree? Put on the tape.
- And finally, former All-Pro returner Gunner Olszewski is easily the best return man.

Count 'em. That's six incoming FA signings, each the best at their position on the depth chart. Most importantly, none of their deals broke the bank.

They're all well under 30 years old. Wallace (26), Cole (26), Daniels (24), Trubisky (27), Olszewski (25), Jack (26).

Add in further depth signings in Boykin (25), Avery (27), and Kazee (28), you begin to get a sense what a massive haul this may turn out to be.

Apologies for the puff piece, teeming with optimism. It seems a whole lot of things clicked this offseason for the Steelers front office, facing an unprecedented challenge of having to re-stock the roster to begin the post-Ben era. Color me impressed.

WOW....not many names on the team that I recognize anymore, thank goodness for all the memories.

ln7ernq86ms61.jpg

Optimism is all we have, really, if you want it to be fun. And it's supposed to be fun. Don't get me wrong, I get pissed at them quite a bit. But I never understood the rooted misery some people have, counting them out before games haver even been played.

well, all those guys are bad players, but they were good signings.

< / some idiot >

Optimism is ok. Never hurts to have some. I will say the haul overall has potential. My area of concern is at NT,RT, and DE. I think the QB room will sort itself out but sure there is a level of concern if the group will supply steady play. Will Canada show signs of life? Will the D be solid when it counts?

I do like the talent level. On paper they seem to have enough talent to do well.
Yep.
O-Tackles and D-Line in general are our biggest question marks for the upcoming season.

Throw in the Steelers have $75M in cap space next year but need to sign Minkah, Boz, Dionte and Bush if they want him. Still, should have enough room to get a couple top flight FAs next year also.

On the other hand, the FA signings that are so much better than what we have might be an indication of poor drafting and worse development of the players we had.

The Steelers upgraded their roster with the moves, but you have to be real with the guys they signed.

- Trubinsky-was a signed as a bridge starter.
- Mason Cole-capable starter, but best in backup role/spot starter.
- James Daniels-quality guard and a legit good player.
- Levi Wallace-role player at cornerback. No real standouts at the position on the roster.
- Myles Jack-was a very good player, but coming off a down season. Steelers need him to reclaim his level of play.
- Gunner Olszewski-return ability seems a bit overstated. Borderline roster player.

The Steelers upgraded their roster with the moves, but you have to be real with the guys they signed.

- Trubinsky-was a signed as a bridge starter.
- Mason Cole-capable starter, but best in backup role/spot starter.
- James Daniels-quality guard and a legit good player.
- Levi Wallace-role player at cornerback. No real standouts at the position on the roster.
- Myles Jack-was a very good player, but coming off a down season. Steelers need him to reclaim his level of play.
- Gunner Olszewski-return ability seems a bit overstated. Borderline roster player.
Cole is better than anyone the Steelers had on the roster. So if he is a fringe starter I will take it and still consider it an upgrade. That is how I prefer to view free agents. Did they upgrade the position? Gunner was a push, Trubisky a yes in regards to Rudolph a no in regards to 4th quarter BigBen. The rest of the list I consider upgrades. Obviously Chukes and Edmunds was a push too. To be real I think Jack, Wallace, and Daniels provided all three stay healthy should have solid seasons. Nothing from what I saw and read makes me think otherwise. To further touch on Jack I think Jacksonville is a lot like the Dolphins in the regards to they know how to screw up or use a player improperly.

All a wait and see but how I view it.

So he left the next GM with a foundation you’re saying?

Cole is better than anyone the Steelers had on the roster. So if he is a fringe starter I will take it and still consider it an upgrade. That is how I prefer to view free agents. Did they upgrade the position? Gunner was a push, Trubisky a yes in regards to Rudolph a no in regards to 4th quarter BigBen. The rest of the list I consider upgrades. Obviously Chukes and Edmunds was a push too. To be real I think Jack, Wallace, and Daniels provided all three stay healthy should have solid seasons. Nothing from what I saw and read makes me think otherwise. To further touch on Jack I think Jacksonville is a lot like the Dolphins in the regards to they know how to screw up or use a player improperly.

They're all absolutely upgrades, but again, I was just looking at a realistic point of view for these guys. I don't think they added much top level talent and I'm not sure if it was enough talent to emerge from the middle ground of the NFL.

They're all absolutely upgrades, but again, I was just looking at a realistic point of view for these guys. I don't think they added much top level talent and I'm not sure if it was enough talent to emerge from the middle ground of the NFL.
Probably right. I can think of at least 5 or 6 areas of the team that could use tweaking.

Daniels is top level capable and I would say Mack has that potential as well.

Yep.
O-Tackles and D-Line in general are our biggest question marks for the upcoming season.

"trench Warfare" is where it all starts but bedazzled as to why Tombert takes so little interest in it

Salute the nation.

Kc went to the thrift shop and made a killing, nothing fancy but all functional. My food inspired rank:
1. The JACK Daniels double rib slab: Jack ILB and Daniels G/C.
2 the taco value meal: Mason C
3. The triple decker clubhouse with extra cheese & bacon: Wallace, Witherspoon and Kazee.
4. The american breakfast: Trubisky QB
5. The sushi roll (raw and expensive): chuks OT
6. The meatloaf: Adams NT
7. The pizza slice: Edmunds S

Kc went to the thrift shop and made a killing, nothing fancy but all functional. My food inspired rank:
1. The JACK Daniels double rib slab: Jack ILB and Daniels G/C.
2 the taco value meal: Mason C
3. The triple decker clubhouse with extra cheese & bacon: Wallace, Witherspoon and Kazee.
4. The american breakfast: Trubisky QB
5. The sushi roll (raw and expensive): chuks OT
6. The meatloaf: Adams NT
7. The pizza slice: Edmunds S

Ha, love this, Litos. Now I'm hungry.

This is my take. Point being, can't recall an offseason where we brought in FA's that shored up & improved this many spots on the roster, all at once. And the icing on the cake is these are all relatively young, up and coming players, whose best football may still be in front of them. That's what makes it so rare & intriguing, and perhaps, unprecedented. ✅

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd put this here since the Steelers signed 2 FA OL.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but I find these types of graphs interesting. Even signing one quality starter in free agency and the Steelers are still not expected to get any bang for their buck on the offensive line. It appears they'll need a homerun with Daniels, a solid double with Cole, and two have at least one of the trio of Moore, Dotson, or Green step up their play.