• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Defensive Players the Steelers Might Look to Sign This Off-Season

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Defensive Linemen

BJ Hill
, 26, who is currently a free agent for the Cincinnati Bengals, was a pre-draft visit. He is coming off his best NFL season with 5.5 sacks, 50 tackles, 6 tackles for a loss, and 12 QB hits. That coming from a rotational roll. He would fit the “Javon Hargrave role” in that he can play the 0-tech or the 3-tech and would help sure up the middle of our defense.

Rasheem Green will be 25 going into next season and is coming off his best year yet. He would be more of a 5-technique 3-4 DE and would likely be a replacement for Stephon Tuitt. He had 6.5 sacks, 48 tackles, 6 tackles for a loss, and 15 QB hits.

Bilal Nichols is again more of a 0-technique, but depending on Tyson Alualu’s health and how long the Steelers thinks he can play, the 25 year old might be worth a look. He has been pretty consistent for the Chicago Bears having 8 sacks, 91 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, and 22 QB hits over the span of the last two seasons.

Inside Linebacker

Jermaine Carter
is probably the best that checks the Steelers boxes as he was a pre-draft visit, is 27 years old, and is coming off his best professional season and shouldn’t break the bank when it comes to signing. Carter is coming off an 88 tackle season with 3 tackles for a loss, and 3 QB hits.

Jarrad Davis has been a disappointment as a first round selection, but he was a pre-draft visit, is 27, and has connections to Detroit — but he last played for the New York Jets. Maybe we hit gold again picking up a former first round pick LB in free agency like we did with James Farrior. Davis is an A+ athlete and has had success in the NFL as his sophomore year in the NFL he had 100 tackles, 6 sacks, 10 tackles for a loss, 10 QB hits, 5 PD’s, and a forced fumble with a recovery. But he has steadily declined in play since. Perhaps worth a look and discounted contract.

Anthony Walker Jr. was a pre-draft visit but he is a rival AFC North free agent and is coming off a great season. The former Northwestern product had 113 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, 1 QB hit, 1 sack and 2 PD in his 12 starts last year. Career wise, Walker Jr. has been a tackling machine racking up 456 tackles, 21 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, 7 QB hits, to go along with decent coverage stats with 3 career interceptions, and 13 pass deflections. Probably a bit more expensive than the other two, but he is also a better bet long-term at just 26 years old.

Defensive Backs

MJ Stewart
again checks the boxes as a pre-draft visit, 26 years old, coming off his best season, and is position flexible being able to play both CB and S. I feel he would be a discounted priced player as he only started a handful of games last year and we’d give him the opportunity to play against his former team in Cleveland twice a year.

Deshon Elliott is a rival AFC North Baltimore Ravens free agent safety who was having his best season until he was injured. He is only 24 (25 by next season) and has improved every season in the NFL. He had an above average SPARQ (Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction and Quickness) when coming out of Texas in 2018. I feel he could help fill the SS role with Tre Norwood if Terrell Edmunds ends up departing.

Jordan Whitehead is a local product that I am hearing a lot of people predict could replace Edmunds. He does check the age box at going on 25 years old and he has been productive. I certainly agree he is an option, but as a local player, the Steelers wouldn’t have had to use a pre-draft visit on him as local prospects don’t count against your limit — but the Steelers chose not to talk with him. He also is predicted to be one of the higher paid free agent safeties in the market as Spotrac believes he will receive and offer in the $7.8 million annually range. Because of those two factors, I don’t believe the Steelers will have interest in his services.

DJ Reed is a free agent cornerback who is position flexible to play outside or inside and is coming off two very good seasons having 4 interceptions 17 passes defensed, and 140 tackles over the span of the last two seasons. The 25 year old CB has improved every year and would make a nice addition to the secondary who will most likely be without Joe Haden for the first time since 2016.

Another veteran CB who has bounced around a bit is Sidney Jones. The former second round pick has gone from Philadelphia, to Jacksonville and most recently to Seattle. But the soon to be 26 year old has always been a solid outside CB. He might not have had any interceptions last year but his Pro Football Focus grade was 70.2 and he did have 10 passes defensed. Coming off a one-year, $1 million dollar contract, I feel he could be a budget addition with minimal guarantees if you put some incentives into the deal.

Justin Reid is a guy I really liked coming out of Stanford and had two phenomenal seasons to begin his NFL career. 2020 was a bit rough, but he bounced back a bit this last year and the just turned 25 year old had a SPARQ score that was elite when he was drafted. Again I feel he has a lot of upside and should be a budget signing if you put some incentives into the contract.

Hopefully, this gives you some potential NFL signings to look into as free agency begins next week. The Steelers hopefully can keep a few of our own, while adding some key players as well. This should be one of the more active off-season’s in recent memory given the Steelers cap situation now that Ben Roethlisberger has retired.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..