• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Did Jordan Berry Win the Punting Battle?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pressley Harvin III was the Pittsburgh Steelers 7th round draft pick in April. He was brought in to finally settle the punting position. But he’s been a little inconsistent so far this preseason.

His first punt against the Dallas Cowboys in the Hall of Fame game was a beauty. Pinning Dallas inside their own 2. He’s had some good ones, but in particular Friday night in Carolina he had some short ones. Some of it could be the coaches asking for sideline punts, or specific things beyond pure distance. But the Steelers were deep inside their own territory a few time when he came out to punt.

His opponent Jordan Berry has been just as good if not a little better than Harvin so far. But we have seven years of experience watching Berry be wildly inconsistent during games. When the team needs a booming punt is when Berry usually does his worst.

Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer Gerry Dulac doesn’t believe Harvin has done enough to surpass Berry on the Steelers roster. That would be extremely upsetting to most of Steeler Nation.

“Rookie Pressley Harvin III, whose booming punts are only visible in practice, should not displace Jordan Berry”, Dulac wrote

Each punter received one full game to take all of the punting duties. Harvin against Dallas, and Berry against Philadelphia. Harvin averaged 45.8 yards per punt, 3 inside the 20, and a long of 51 in his game. Berry averaged 44 yards per punt, 2 inside the 20, and a long of 54.

The Steelers only punted once against the Lions and it was Harvin with a 50 yarder. Against Carolina the dismal offense gave both punter plenty of chances. Both punted 4 times with Berry edging Harvin in average 43.8 to 42.3, and in distance 55 to 48.

I think everyone would have loved to see Harvin blow Berry out of the water, but it just didn’t happen.

At the end of the day the Steelers have been trying to find a replacement for Berry, and may opt to give Harvin the chance to grow rather than see Berry do the punting for another season. Chances are Berry will still be around if they decide they need to bring him back at a later time. Just like they did last season.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

If I remember correctly Harvin edged for hang time.

I'm going with Haskins. If he doesn't work out, Berry will probably still be sitting out there like he was when we tried Colquitt.

I'm in for trying Harvin. We know what we are going to get with Berry.
Like others have said more upside with the rookie.

Nice informative and good question................ Thanks for the article Justin.

I say Pressley Harvin III is the keeper and will be on the 53 roster. Way to much upside and low cost. Practice is what it is but the coaches see the daily and they know who is and isn't. Berry will be hanging low as in hanfg time compared to Harvin who will be hanging high as in hang time.

Been there & done that with Berry, pretty sure a new direction as in a very good directional punter per Harvin.

Time will be drawn soon and the answer is near....................................................

Salute the nation

Nice informative and good question................ Thanks for the article Justin.

I say Pressley Harvin III is the keeper and will be on the 53 roster. Way to much upside and low cost. Practice is what it is but the coaches see the daily and they know who is and isn't. Berry will be hanging low as in hanfg time compared to Harvin who will be hanging high as in hang time.

Been there & done that with Berry, pretty sure a new direction as in a very good directional punter per Harvin.

Time will be drawn soon and the answer is near....................................................

Salute the nation
How is it possible that we have never done a Tomlin catchphrase bingo for one of his pressers?

As long as it starts with "H-a"... it's all the same!!!
One of my catch phrases at home, "close enuff". I constantly butcher pronunciations. I still don't understand why faux leather is pronounced, "foe". Ol girl gets a lot of laughter in our house often. Things she was rolling on the floor for also included Sunoco, and Duquesne.

How is it possible that we have never done a Tomlin catchphrase bingo for one of his pressers?

For awhile there he wasn't giving us any material. Has he started back up again??? I'll have to catch a couple recent interviews.

I know one of his first interviews he gave us this gem "you can't put the Jello back in the box" and since he had been pretty blank but I haven't listened to a current interview either.

My thoughts were maybe someone finally got through to him on how these don't really make yaz look smarter.,,......

Salute the nation

I think Harvin has won the job. Much more upside and we know what we get with Jordan. Always has a good camp but never shows consistency throughput the season.
This young man Harvin will be a weapon for us and will be much more consistent than Jordan.

has berry won the job? apparently not