• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Different type of people in America....how you deal with them....

Chicoman

Reaction score
OK so last night we were having a discussion among friends.....I consider myself a Republican who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal I guess you could say......maybe I'm a new breed or maybe I'm just INSANE!

Anyway we got on the subject of welfare......and minimum wage and some people were all for raising the minimum wage to $15 a hour saying families need a higher wage to earn a living.....

My beef with that is that we've all heard of the trickle down effect......well that just trickles down too and your dollar just doesn't go as far.....in the form of higher prices for food, shelter, clothing and everything else you can think of while the middle class earning more than that gets no pay raise and their wages stay the same. The bottom line is no company or business is going to loose their profits by keeping their prices the same when their expenses continue to rise...it all goes right to the end user the US Consumer and we take it on the chin with higher prices for everything.

My wife then says honey there are people on welfare who can't get off of it and I said yes and there are a lot of deadbeats who live off of it and don't do a gdamn thing and don't work 40+hrs a week and don't try to help themselves....

To me the solution is educate these struggling people and give them better paying jobs....to which my wife said honey not everyone is college material or won't learn a trade.....so ok I agree with that.......

I guess I'd never begrudge someone who is busting their *** off to get off the system but I think the system could also help those people who are making a conscious effort to create a better living situation for them and their families but I'll be damned if some deadbeat welfare case should get the same benefits as someone on welfare who is making a conscious effort to create a better life for their families...those are the ones IMHO who deserve the help because they are putting forth the effort and deserve some compensation.....

As for the deadbeat welfare cases I say this....if you expect our government to what I would call "MOTHER YOU" pay for your housing , supply you with food, pay your utility bill for heat, then you know that $500 I-phone in your hands...ummmm we'll take there....here's your government issued cell phone, oh and that $200 cable bill you have every month....ummmm sorry you can have normal TV.....here's your digital antennae, enjoy it. If you can't afford it and you aren't making the effort to be able to have luxuries such as those above hey we will take care of you but you just lost some priveldges, almost like a lazy kid who won't do for themselves or their families.

Sorry that's how I feel....

Thoughts?

I have no problem with a government safety net. When it becomes a hammock, however, I have a big problem with it.

OK so last night we were having a discussion among friends.....I consider myself a Republican who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal I guess you could say......maybe I'm a new breed or maybe I'm just INSANE!

There are many like you here.......most who participate in this forum don't pigeon hole.....most are fiscally and socially conservative to libertarian I'd guess.

Anyway we got on the subject of welfare......and minimum wage and some people were all for raising the minimum wage to $15 a hour saying families need a higher wage to earn a living.....

My beef with that is that we've all heard of the trickle down effect......well that just trickles down too and your dollar just doesn't go as far.....in the form of higher prices for food, shelter, clothing and everything else you can think of while the middle class earning more than that gets no pay raise and their wages stay the same. The bottom line is no company or business is going to loose their profits by keeping their prices the same when their expenses continue to rise...it all goes right to the end user the US Consumer and we take it on the chin with higher prices for everything.

Correct.....I make a comfortable living but if the minimum wage doubles why shouldn't my income as well? It will need to in order to remain comfortable. Minimum wage jobs were never, ever intended to be jobs on which one tries to raise a family. I knew that in high school when I worked them. They are jobs that need done but should only be attractive to someone who doesn't have debt or immediate responsibilities.......in other words to earn a little spending money or to help a main wage earner in the case of a family. If someone's poor life decisions have put them in a position where they must depend upon a minimum wage job to raise a family why should I have to suffer higher prices for whatever service or item they provide?
My wife then says honey there are people on welfare who can't get off of it and I said yes and there are a lot of deadbeats who live off of it and don't do a gdamn thing and don't work 40+hrs a week and don't try to help themselves....

I'd begin by questioning why they "can't get off it"? If it's due to a true disability I want my taxes to help. If it's because they're one of the millions who simply won't do a job because they believe it's beneath them, see ya in the street. Le's not forget that the people campaigning for the minimum wage hike are the very same ones who say we must allow illegal immigrants to "do the jobs American's won't do."

To me the solution is educate these struggling people and give them better paying jobs....to which my wife said honey not everyone is college material or won't learn a trade.....so ok I agree with that.......

"Won't" learn a trade? Why? Again, voluntarily self restricting one's ability to make a living is tantamount in my mind to refusing help......if you are going to refuse that help, then you must not need my money either.

I guess I'd never begrudge someone who is busting their *** off to get off the system but I think the system could also help those people who are making a conscious effort to create a better living situation for them and their families but I'll be damned if some deadbeat welfare case should get the same benefits as someone on welfare who is making a conscious effort to create a better life for their families...those are the ones IMHO who deserve the help because they are putting forth the effort and deserve some compensation.....

The welfare system and indeed the entire taxing system has become the means by which the government controls people......consider this quote.... “The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville

Long term welfare recipients are rewarded for sloth and indolence and they are courted with your money.

As for the deadbeat welfare cases I say this....if you expect our government to what I would call "MOTHER YOU" pay for your housing , supply you with food, pay your utility bill for heat, then you know that $500 I-phone in your hands...ummmm we'll take there....here's your government issued cell phone, oh and that $200 cable bill you have every month....ummmm sorry you can have normal TV.....here's your digital antennae, enjoy it. If you can't afford it and you aren't making the effort to be able to have luxuries such as those above hey we will take care of you but you just lost some priveldges, almost like a lazy kid who won't do for themselves or their families.

You're more giving than I. There have been times in my life when I did without TV or a phone of any kind. They are luxuries NOT necessities......we've lost sight of that requisite, necessity.

Sorry that's how I feel....

Thoughts?

ten characters

I realize this is the wrong place for this. but I am tired of hearing about how all of the problems of the lower class will be taken away by raising the minimum wage. we were pretty much all lower class at one point and raising the minimum wage did not help us. hard work helped us. so instead of raising the minimum wage why not raise the 40 hour work we to 50 or 55? business would not have to worry about paying overtime and people that actually want to make more of a living would be able to without getting a second job.

I eat what I kill.

Nobody pays me; I get paid for my successful work. I earned good money last year, but case preparation - depositions, trials - always slow down or disappear in November and December. See, everybody else gets a salary.

What happens every year is that I get paid basically nothing - and I mean zero - for four months. By late February, the trial calendar and mediations resume, and I make money.

So for those who whine about minimum wage ... **** you. I work 50 hours a week in my law practice. I continue to meet payroll, SS, tax withholding, etc. Meanwhile, I don't earn a penny for 1/3 of a goddam year.

So when some asswipe thinks that because I make "x" dollars for the calendar year, I should pay more in taxes, I want to punch such person in the face with a 2 x 4.

How much people get paid is really a function of the value that they produce for their good or service or trade, be they a cab driver, NFL player, brain surgeon, whatever, and also how easily replaceable they are.
Be nice if everyone made a lot of money. Not everyone is college material but you don't necessarily need college to make a decent buck. The wealthiest person that I know personally is a plumber. At this point he owns the company and doesn't do much plumbing himself but his boat has two bathrooms in it.
I have an MBA and own a small business but I don't make jack squat since the recession. That's why I'm posting from my second job at the Pittsburgh Airport (it's a slow night). It's also why I'm going to mortician school part-time, which is only a two year associates degree, after which I can make a lot more money than I do now. You need at least a two year degree to get in, mortuary science is another two year degree, that's four years and you can make $60k to $100k a year. My plumber bud pays well but he CAN NOT FIND enough people to be apprentices.
The other thing that knocks a lot of people out of the job market is drug testing. I am required to do it even at my little company. Phone used to ring off the hook when I put a want ad in the paper. The past few years after I had to put "drug screen required" in the ad I'm lucky if five people call.

Last edited: