• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Trading Back Make Sense in 2022? For Devonte Wyatt, Yes.

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Devonte Wyatt (Defensive Tackle), University of Georgia, Senior

OVERVIEW:

After finishing with the NFL’s fourth-worst rush defense in 2021, the Steelers are definitely going to be looking to address that going into 2022. Although their poor rush defense was mainly due to the fact that Tyson Alualu was lost early on to a season-ending injury, Stephon Tuitt spent the season away from the team, and there was not a lot of depth along the defensive line. The Steelers have drafted a defensive lineman in ten of the last eleven drafts, so it is safe to assume they’ll be doing to the same in 2022. But with how critical the need for big run-stoppers are in the AFC North, could we see the Steelers use one of their earlier picks on a defensive lineman like they did with Cam Heyward in 2011 and Tuitt in 2014? If they choose to, Devonte Wyatt has to be on the Steelers’ wish list.

PROS:

For being lined up next to probable first-rounder Jordan Davis, Wyatt made a strong case for himself at the NFL Combine. Measuring 6’3” and weighing 304 pounds, Wyatt’s size is exactly what teams look for in an interior lineman. In running a 4.77-second 40-yard dash, he also showed he has enough speed to chase ball carriers in the backfield. Looking at his tape from college, Wyatt has a great initial step off the ball in beating the offensive guard or center to plug the gap. He’s able to maintain great pad level and is disciplined in holding his assignments along the line. Although he is a large human, Wyatt possesses unique flexibility and can contort his body, making him even tougher for offensive linemen to block. Even though he has an average wingspan, Wyatt has the strength to push bodies backwards at the line of scrimmage to blow up the play before it starts. With his measurements and versatility, Wyatt is an easy plug-and-play anywhere along the defensive line in almost any defensive scheme.

CONS:

Going back to his tape, there are some things Wyatt will need to be coached-up on in order to be a true defensive anchor. First is ability to beat double teams. With his size and lining up at the interior, Wyatt is going to draw double teams and he’s had trouble beating them in college. To take that a step further, he is more known for his run-stopping ability as opposed to his pass rush ability. For Wyatt to transition to a steady three-down lineman, solid pass-rush ability is a must in the NFL. For Wyatt to reach his full potential, he’ll need to work on taking on and beating double teams, maintain correct hand placement, shed down blockers at the line, and keep improving his strength to counter is lack-of length.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 2nd Round

This year’s draft features an incredibly deep defensive line class. As a part of their 2021 Championship season, Georgia had arguably the best defense in all of college football and their defensive line is most likely going to be selected in the first 2 days of the draft. Before the combine, I had Wyatt as a solid 2nd round to maybe 3rd round pick. But after watching him in his drills and put on a show for the coaches and scouts, I wouldn’t be surprised if he sneaks into the first round. Georgia’s Pro Day is on March 16th and Wyatt is going to be watched carefully to see how he tops his combine performance. If all goes well, he should be considered a top 40 selection, but if things stay the same, he’s at least a strong 2nd round pick.

VERDICT:

I think it is safe to say that every NFL coach is in love with the prospects coming out of Georgia in this year’s draft. Wyatt is no exception to that. But here is where things get interesting for the Steelers; if their top names are all gone by the time they are on the clock at the 20th overall spot, I’d argue that they may want to trade back to load up on Day 2 picks. As of right now, Wyatt is still on the fringe of the first couple of rounds and if he’s dropped back a bit, the Steelers should look at him in the second round. Speaking strictly for the Steelers’ sake, I’d only look at Wyatt if he is available in the second round; there are other more-pressing needs to address early on in the draft than the defensive line.

Where do you see Wyatt going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

please, please, please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,

Anytime you feel that blue chip guys are going to fall low into the first or second round and your list of absolute grand slam prospects is off the table you should trade back. Im more comfortable making a low first round pick than a mid first round pick… they seem to bust a lot

Unless a player falls to them that they can’t pass up, I’m a big fan of trading back, especially this year. The Steelers have a ton of needs and unless they get addressed through free agency, which the Steelers have been reluctant to do, they could really use an additional pick or two.

That being said, I predict that one of the top 3 or 4 WR will still be there at 20 and assuming they lose JuJu, the Steelers go WR as BPA/most likely to contribute right away in a big way option.

WR is definately a need but you do NEED an OL and some seem to think Penning will be there, I'd take the trench worker. and hope for WR in 2.

Salute the nation

There are years when the draft pool is so shallow it honestly makes sense to just trade into the future the best you can…. Other years its so deep you can get a top end talent in the 3rd or occasionally even the 4th… thats the draft you want a glut of picks in really…

When you see a great player in a position of need then you trade up… that should be much more rare than trading down…

But you know we will run to the podium with a pick regardless of the situation

And wr is a need, but it isnt the giant end all be all need… it’s extremely deep… its a perfect round 2 or 3 target

DJ is productive and Claypool was still top 40, extremely young and extremely talented

And wr is a need, but it isnt the giant end all be all need… it’s extremely deep… its a perfect round 2 or 3 target

DJ is productive and Claypool was still top 40, extremely young and extremely talented
Will be interesting to see if the they resign one of these two, JuJu or Washington...

Not sure but I think some of these guy swill be around 3rd round or later.
Skyy Moore - WMU

Velus Jones - Tenn

Danny Gray – SMU

WanDale Robinson – UK

George Pickens – UGA

Bo Melton – Rutgers

Every. Darned. Year. There's folks talking about how the Steelers should trade back. Most years they sit where they are. Thing is, you have to have a partner who is looking to trade up in order to trade back. It would be great if they did get a partner. More picks in a deep draft are always welcome. But, sitting at 20, someone spectacular would have to fall for another team to want to make that trade. And, if someone spectacular fell, I'd hope the Steelers took that prospect themselves.

WR is definately a need but you do NEED an OL and some seem to think Penning will be there, I'd take the trench worker. and hope for WR in 2.

Salute the nation
I’m not against that, I’m just going by how the Steelers seems to operate. They needed OL last year and still passed on them in Rounds 1 & 2.

Will be interesting to see if the they resign one of these two, JuJu or Washington...

Not sure but I think some of these guy swill be around 3rd round or later.
Skyy Moore - WMU

Velus Jones - Tenn

Danny Gray – SMU

WanDale Robinson – UK

George Pickens – UGA

Bo Melton – Rutgers
If Mason is going to get a green light, with Aaron and Wilson gone. I could see resigning Washington since connection is already strong. I would think Washington would be re-energized with the prospect of increases looks and could be resigned pretty cheap.

If Mason is going to get a green light, with Aaron and Wilson gone. I could see resigning Washington since connection is already strong. I would think Washington would be re-energized with the prospect of increases looks and could be resigned pretty cheap.
Washington would be a fool to resign here. You would have thought he would have seen more playing time LAST year with JuJu out and Claypool showing little to no fight for the ball. Didn't happen. Right or wrong, the coaching staff showed him what they really thought of him when they (for the most part) kept him on the bench.
Now, I'm not saying I think Washington is some great talent. If he was, he would have seen more action here. But, if I were in Washington's shoes, I'd bet on myself someplace else; rather than stay here and sit.

Salute the nation

Absolutely, particularly with WR talent available at 84 or 138. Players like Alec Pierce, Christian Watson, John Mechie III (yeah, yeah, not in 2022 but elite receiver at 84? Yes please). Later-round guys like Erik Ezukanma, Jaivon Heighligh, George Pickens from UGA, and combine warriors Tyquan Thornton of Baylor and Isiah Weston of Northern Iowa.

I’m not against that, I’m just going by how the Steelers seems to operate. They needed OL last year and still passed on them in Rounds 1 & 2.

Imagine CREED on this team. I like Muth but trench ware fare is he start.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
If Penning is there at 20 I’d bet we turn in that pick in a matter of seconds.

Have to think at 20 there is somebody there they really like and it will be business as usual for the Steelers sprinting up to turn in their pick.

I do like the trade back option and would love Wyatt in the 2nd, but there will be a WR or OL we may have to pull the trigger on at 20.

I think we’ll have a choice between a top 3 rated CB or WR or possibly Linderbaum staring at us at 20…just please no trade up for Willis or any first round QB for that matter. If we’re dead set on a QB maybe trade up in round 2 if a run on them starts.

If Penning is there at 20 I’d bet we turn in that pick in a matter of seconds.

Have to think at 20 there is somebody there they really like and it will be business as usual for the Steelers sprinting up to turn in their pick.

I do like the trade back option and would love Wyatt in the 2nd, but there will be a WR or OL we may have to pull the trigger on at 20.

I think we’ll have a choice between a top 3 rated CB or WR or possibly Linderbaum staring at us at 20…just please no trade up for Willis or any first round QB for that matter. If we’re dead set on a QB maybe trade up in round 2 if a run on them starts.

I'm in that same frame of mind, there will be three top guys there in our position(s) of need. Who do we take and when they do send the "pick" runner you best not be blinking or exhailing at the time because the runner's speed will create such a negative pressure you may get your lungs pulled out.

Last year we didn't invest enough into the OL, if there are three and one is a high ranking OL (Penning) I pull that trigger and then try to get the "pick" runner to try-out at WR.

Salute the nation