• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Donations Reach over 6k In Dwayne Haskins Name Thanks to You

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It was nearly 1am on Sunday morning, and I sat at my computer thinking about the horrible Dwayne Haskins news from Saturday morning. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback was killed in a horrific way.

I like all of SteelerNation was sad and trying to understand how the life of such a promising young man was taken. Lots of why’s had run through my mind. But I wanted to help.

Obviously there isn’t a lot that I could do specifically, but I thought of how well Bills Mafia does to support one another. They’re always banding together to raise huge sums of money for different causes for different reasons.

That led me to start researching to find a charity that Haskins loved. That led me to Wolf Trap Animal Rescue. So I made a donation then I put together a story to help raise money.

That’s where all of you took over. Tonight USA Today dropped a story reporting how many donations Wolf Trap Animal Rescue has received.

According to the report from USA Today, 299 donors had pitched in to net $6,491.54 for the nonprofit as of Tuesday night.

Rescue organizations can only operate based on donations that come in and we can only save as many animals as we have supporters for,” Vet Amber Burton told USA Today’s Jori Epstein.

“It means a lot and speaks volumes of the person who they are and how giving and caring they are and supportive of their local community. When someone like Dwayne or Troy or any of these NFL players get involved, it shows the depth of their character.

“That’s something we won’t ever forget.”

What is the Wolf Trap Animal Rescue? There website describes the nonprofit as this:

SteelerNation.com
SteelerNation.com
STEELERS NEWS
Donate to Charity in Dwayne Haskins’ Honor; He Supported Wolf Trap Animal Rescue
Commanders.com
by Justin McGonigle, OwnerApril 11, 2022
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins had his life taken on Saturday morning as he was tragically struck by a vehicle and killed in Florida.

While mourning the loss these past several hours, I started to think about how can we, and the awesome people of SteelerNation, give back. I checked out his clothing line on KingdomOfPride.com and noticed that all of it was sold out. Every single product. Awesome. Good work to everyone that helped sell all of that out.

Then I thought of how the Buffalo Bills and their fans always step up when it comes to donating to charity. There’s been so many times that they’ve supported a player from another team who may have helped them out in some way. So they all band together and donate to that player’s mission, charity, or cause. In December of this past year, Bills fans donated to Visually Impaired Advancement which helps individuals with vision problems. This came after several bad calls against the Bills by referees in a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in which they lost.

So the charity I ended up picking is the Wolf Trap Animal Rescue. In 2019 as a rookie, Haskins chose the animal rescue as his cause.

Steelers Dwayne Haskins Cleats 2019
At the time, Haskins’ said this about the cause, and why he picked that charity:

“Dogs are a man’s best friend,” Haskins said. “We just love spending time with them — they bring a whole bunch of energy — and they make my day brighter.”

“He’s a very majestic animal — he looks the part — and I’m just really excited to be able to wear these and give back to the community.”

CLICK BELOW TO WATCH DWAYNE HASKINS TALKING ABOUT HIS CLEATS:

The Wolf Trap Animal Rescue says this on their website about why they do what they do:

Wolf Trap Animal Rescue (WTAR) focuses efforts on rescuing high-risk animals from euthanasia, neglect, and abuse. These animals primarily come from Mississippi, where young animals are euthanized by the hundreds each and every day due to overpopulation. Lack of spay-neuter laws and large sections of rural land allow for free-roaming animals to reproduce, leading to a surplus of neglected, homeless, and starving puppies and kittens. These animals are then found and brought to local animal shelters, which simply cannot provide the care or homes these pets need in order to survive. Ultimately, they get euthanized for space or for illnesses contracted at the shelter.

Please Continue to Donate to this amazing cause. You can go directly to their website to donate by CLICKING HERE

For more information about why we chose this charity you can read our original story by clicking here.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..