• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dulac: Suggests the Likely Front Runner for Steelers GM is Eagles Andy Weidl

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have interviewed 16 candidates to date for their soon to be open general manager position, and it’s likely that a second round of interviews will kick off soon. The Steelers have left no stone unturned as they have interviewed NFL staff members from all over the NFL. They’ve even included former big name personnel directors that haven’t been in the league for several years.

Following the 2022 NFL Draft, Kevin Colbert will step down as general manager of the Steelers, but he will likely stay on the staff in a lesser role according to reports. Colbert has worked with Omar Khan and Brandon Hunt for several years as his right hand men. It seemed from the onset that those two would be fighting each other for the promotion, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. As time has went on, those two names have continued to surface as front runners, but not as much as originally thought. Now Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer Gerry Dulac suggested that it’s an outsider that is the front runner.

Steelers Have Interviewed The Following:​

Morocco Brown
Ed Dobbs
Louis Riddick
Ryan Cowden
Doug Whaley
Rick Spielman
John Wojciechowski
JoJo Wooden
Dan Morgan
John Spytek
Omar Khan
Brandon Hunt
Joe Hortiz
Ran Carthon
Jerry Reese
Andy Weidl

Answering fan questions today on the Post-Gazette’s website, Dulac stated that he believes Andy Weidl is the leading candidate to replace Colbert.

“Dave: Gerry, I read of Andy Weidl’s 24 years experience in the NFL and think he would be a good replacement for Kevin Colbert.

Gerry Dulac: I’d be willing to bet he is the front-runner for the position, as of right now.”

Weidl is a Pittsburgh native growing up in Mt. Lebanon and spending the early part of his professional career with the Steelers as a personnel assistant under previous general manager Tom Donahoe in 1998. Weidl joined the Eagles in 2016, after spending 11 years with the Baltimore Ravens working under Ozzie Newsome.

When Philadelphia Eagles then Vice President Joe Douglas left town to become the New York Jets‘ general manager, Weidl was promoted to replace Douglas.

Steelers Interviewed Andy Weidl

Eagles Andy Weidl interviewed for the Steelers GM job

It’s likely that Pittsburgh will covet someone that has spent a vast amount of time as a scout. Colbert always is on the road scouting, and spending time with his area scouts. That would be something that Weidl would excel at. Before being named director of personnel with the Eagles in 2016, he was a scout for the previous 18 years. That includes time with the Steelers (1998-99), New Orleans Saints (2000-2004), and Ravens (2005-2015).

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about the interview process that’s gone on for the general manager position, and he stated that he hasn’t been involved much with the process up to this point. He’s spent most of his time on the road scouting for the upcoming draft. But he said that is likely to change as the team will narrow it’s choices and begin the second interview process.

Do you have a preference for the Steelers GM job? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

My frontrunner is Cooch.
He is the smartest guy he knows and could probably be convinced to help the Steelers check whatever box is next for woke social justice.

My frontrunner is Cooch.
He is the smartest guy he knows and could probably be convinced to help the Steelers check whatever box is next for woke social justice.

You forgot to mention his negotiation skills as well. He can get dual 1st rounders out of teams faster than greased lightning.

A-N-D

that's for player not even on our team................................

Salute the nation

You forgot to mention his negotiation skills as well. He can get dual 1st rounders out of teams faster than greased lightning.

A-N-D

Salute the nation
He also is so good he can make trades after the trade deadline.

My question is why is this taking so long? I understand the process but Colbert is still here and the new guy is going to have to live with what ever the hell Colbert throws his way without even a say in it.

I say get it done and let them both hash out things so at least the new guy has a little say.

Salute the nation

A-N-D

Salute the nation
There is a rumor going around that the dingleberry is finalizing a trade that the Steelers would receive Cleveland's two first round picks for Le'Veon Bell ....not the player but the free agent rapper.