• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

ESPN Reports Steelers Interested in Safeties Mathieu and Kazee

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
All off-season Pittsburgh Steelers fans have been beating the drum for the Steelers to sign Pro Bowl safety Tyrann Mathieu. Theres been multiple reports that the team had interest in Mathieu, but not from very reliable or creditable sources. That changed this morning when ESPN’s Jeremey Foweler reported the Steelers are monitoring his situation.

This was the blur in Fowler’s story that dropped this morning on ESPN+.

After an uncharacteristically active free agency in Pittsburgh, the Steelers are still on the lookout for safety help. Yes, we hear the chatter about Tyrann Mathieu, who plays with the kind of edge that would seamlessly fit in Pittsburgh. But Pittsburgh also is monitoring Terrell Edmunds, a four-year starter with the Steelers who is yet to sign anywhere. A reunion is not off the table. And a wild-card option is free safety Damontae Kazee, who played for Dallas last season. He is known as a ball hawk who can play multiple spots. The Steelers have him on their radar.

Mathieu would be another uncharacteristic move for the Steelers as they generally don’t pay big money for any free agent let alone one that is soon to be 30. But without Ben Roethlisberger maybe the Steelers brass will agree that beefing up the Defense is the best way to win games in 2022.

The other interesting name in Fowler’s story is Damontae Kazee. Kazee left Atlanta for Dallas last season on a one-year contract. He started 15 games for the Cowboys, but had pedestrian statistics overall. To his credit he did force two fumbles, and have two interceptions. His best season came in Atlanta in 2018 when he recorded a career high 7 interceptions, 82 tackles, and 7 pass break ups. The Cowboy’s defense was middle of the road in terms of pass defense last year allowing the 13th most yards at 4049, but finished 7th overall in total defense.

On the Terrell Edmunds front we expected as much. The Steelers and Edmunds know each other well and the most likely scenario is for him to come back. The fact that there’s been no moment there is a little bit surprising, but if the Steelers are in fact waiting for the Mathieu situation to play out its understandable. I would expect Kazee to be the Steelers third option behind Edmunds if they don’t land the Honey Badger.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Kazee might actually be the best fit at SS and he is a ballhawk. I would think one of the three gets signed predraft.

I hope the Steelers abandon the "love 'em cuz we know 'em" syndrome that held true for Okorafor.
The T market was weak. Not so with the S market. If they settle for Edmunds it will be because of them low balling a contract not due to lack of bodies available.

I wonder if they could have done anything with Haden at safety. He would have been cheaper than honey badger and he knows the D. He has good ball skills and not a bad tackler.

Oh and there is a report out now that the Bears were interested in Chukes. So it isn't like he didn't have a potential suitor. Market dictates worth.

I wonder if they could have done anything with Haden at safety. He would have been cheaper than honey badger and he knows the D. He has good ball skills and not a bad tackler.
I am ok with Haden as a backup corner and Pierre shown the door.

Oh and there is a report out now that the Bears were interested in Chukes. So it isn't like he didn't have a potential suitor. Market dictates worth.

The Steelers decided early on that for the 2021 season, two offensive linemen at key positions - LT and C - could be rookies. Sure as hell hope they both improve. RT is less crucial than C or LT, so how about looking at the draft for the new RT.

This draft is deep in RT prospects who are really good. Get one in the first 3 rounds and play him. "He could be worse than Chuks." Agreed. But probably going to be better, at a lower price. The problem now is that since the Steelers are paying Chuks good money, Tomlin will play him and play him and play him until he gets somebody killed.

Meaning around week 3.

Damontae Kazee. Kazee left Atlanta for Dallas last season on a one-year contract. He started 15 games for the Cowboys, but had pedestrian statistics overall. To his credit he did force two fumbles, and have two interceptions. His best season came in Atlanta in 2018 when he recorded a career high 7 interceptions, 82 tackles, and 7 pass break ups

Best season...4 played seasons ago.

Dumbmlin: Sign him. Sign him NOW!!

Best season...4 played seasons ago.

Dumbmlin: Sign him. Sign him NOW!!
He has an injury he came off of and rebounded with a solid season. It would actually be a Smartlin IMO to pick him up.

I am thinking that TM is going to be pricey. Dax Hill might be there at 1-20 and Brisker at 2-52. I don't know how early you want to go Safety. Pitre from Baylor if he falls to the third. Jensen from Illinois and Cross from Maryland later.

Oh before I forget Kaz can play FS/SS and you can movie him around inside too. Brings a lot of versatility. Of course coming off injury his stats weren't what they were before that. But he is a year removed from that. He is better in coverage than Edmunds. So sometimes stats don't tell the whole picture. In the beginning of the free agent process I mentioned you can mid tier free agency. Not every position has to be stars, just upgrade what you have. I believe Kaz does that.

Whatever happens it looks like Edmunds won't be returning. He deleted a bunch of Steeler related pics from multiple social media accounts.

Colbert petty much debunked the honey badger rumors as their preference is younger vets. They still are playing the bargain basement approach to free agency. Their stubborn *** way of approaching free agency is still handcuffing the team. I am not even referring to the honey badger situation either. There is safeties out there what is the hold up? Oh we don't do this age oh we don't guarantee this amount of money. Oh we rely on the draft that has been very hot and miss for us.

I like some of the moves the team has made but **** it isn't always about the bargain shopping. You have an opportunity to upgrade to the point that you aren't just bystanders in the playoffs.

I want to like their offseason I do for the most part but that old way of thinking still shows its face.

I will be still glad when Colbert hits the road. It is time for some fresh approaches. Ones that focus in on getting over the hump the playoff hump.