• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

ESPN’s Fowler – Insiders Believe ‘Pittsburgh Going With A Different “Need” Position’ NOT Quarterback

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We’re one day away from the 2022 NFL Draft, and tomorrow night we will finally get all of the answer’s we’ve been waiting for surrounding who the Pittsburgh Steelers will select. The popular opinion is that the team will select quarterback Malik Willis, or possibly local product Kenny Picket from Pitt.

Even Vegas believes the Steelers will select a quarterback as they list the Steelers as -125 to draft a quarterback with their first selection. But it doesn’t seem like everyone is on board for the quarterback to Pittsburgh hype. But it sounds like the insiders, and people in the know are seeing tons of scenarios in which the Steelers would select different players.

Generally when all of the places to find sports picks and analysis from Vegas are saying it’s going to be something, it usually is. But there’s no way they could even be sold with all of the rumors flying around regarding the Steelers.

In the latest ESPN+ story, Jeremey Fowler, and Dan Graziano provided their last minute news and rumors.

Among the teams on the radar of Liberty quarterback Malik Willis are the Panthers (No. 6), Falcons (No. 8), Steelers (No. 20) and, yes, even the Lions (Nos. 2 and 32). Willis going No. 2 would shock many. But here’s why I won’t totally discount it: Word out of the Senior Bowl was that Detroit planned to host Willis with one of its last top-30 visits and was intrigued by his skill set. Both of those factors have proved true.

Most people in the league believe Detroit goes with a safer pick, but Willis could become a stronger option if Detroit can somehow find a way to trade back up with the No. 32 pick.

Pittsburgh’s quarterback intentions have been all over the map (welcome to draft season). Some believe they like Willis, others say Kenny Pickett (Pitt) would be their guy, but the majority leans toward Pittsburgh going with a different “need” position at No. 20, such as defensive or offensive line or corner.

“I don’t know, they’ve done a ton of work on the QBs,” one NFC exec said. “Feels like they will take one.”

Most people to whom I’ve spoken said the Liberty offense did Willis little favors, resulting in a lot of tuck-and-run plays if the first read wasn’t there. ‘The learning curve will be steep for him,” the NFC exec said. “But the traits are impressive, and the arm strength is really good.” — Fowler

It’s interesting that Fowler doesn’t mention wide receiver. Because the Steelers still desperately need a wide receiver to add into the mix. He does mention cornerback. There are a lot of top end cornerback prospects this year and it could help them cure their issue with not being able to draft a good corner. If Derek Stingley Jr were to fall, I think the Steelers would run up to the podium to select him. He has the NFL family pedigree, and he’s an impressive player.

As far as offensive line, there just may not be enough value left in the first depending on what goes on in front of them. They may be better suited to find a lineman in the second round. If defensive lineman Jordan Davis is on the board, we know Tomlin loves him. So that would be an interesting decision if they had to choose between Willis, Davis, or Stingley.

I think the feel about the Steelers moving up to select a player has started to cool off. The Steelers will do their due diligence like they always do when it comes to moving up or down, but it doesn’t seem like they’re going to be willing to give up draft capital. Especially since they don’t have much of it, and they need to hit some home runs in the first three rounds to get this team back into contention.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Nobody knows anything definite about anything until the pick is made. So many smoke screens being put up. Fun to guess, but that is all it is for everyone, even Kiper and McShea.

I’ve been for taking Davis with the first or the best positional player available without reaching at 20. If they happen to snag Linderbaum that would also be huge. I can’t wait till this is over tomorrow night

Olave looked more polished to me. And he ran a 4.26.

But i have read and listened to some mockers out there who say that Garrett Wilson is just more explosive.

Anyone care to confirm?
That is what I heard too. I wouldn't be against a WR in 1. I would be surprised if we don't see one within the first three rounds.

That is what I heard too. I wouldn't be against a WR in 1. I would be surprised if we don't see one within the first three rounds.
If the Steelers pass on receiver early I hope it's because they decided to invest in the offensive line. The WR room doesn't have elite talent and is very shallow right now. If they aren't going to add talent to the position they better be going all in on the ground game, which will require a greater commitment to the offensive line.

I’ve been for taking Davis with the first or the best positional player available without reaching at 20. If they happen to snag Linderbaum that would also be huge. I can’t wait till this is over tomorrow night
SEC homer here...

I've been pimping Davis and Williams since late December. Just like Najee.

I'd be OVERJOYED if we get either pick because - well, I'd be right - again...

LMAO!!!

Berm, Williams will be gone by one of Philadelphia's picks and Davis won't make it past the Chargers at 17. I would gladly take either one. Still sold on the Safety Cine from Georgia.

If the Steelers pass on receiver early I hope it's because they decided to invest in the offensive line. The WR room doesn't have elite talent and is very shallow right now. If they aren't going to add talent to the position they better be going all in on the ground game, which will require a greater commitment to the offensive line.
I'd like to see a game wrecker at WR -like AB (before he went nuts)

Olave looked more polished to me. And he ran a 4.26.

But i have read and listened to some mockers out there who say that Garrett Wilson is just more explosive.

Anyone care to confirm?
When tOSU absolutely NEEDED someone to make a crucial catch, more often than not that person was Olave. Wilson is a hair faster and a hair more explosive with his jumping ability. But that "hair" is like the difference between two NASCAR cars. Some folks point to the fact that Wilson made more contested catches than Olave. Kind of hard to make those types of catches when your routes and get off are so smooth that oftentimes you're just flat out open.
I'm not making this comparison to say that either Wilson or Olave will have HOF careers. Rather to put them in context. Think of Olave as Swann; silky smooth, quick release, great body control. Think of Wilson as a faster Stallworth. Makes contested catches well, good body control, is not as silky smooth as Olave, but gets off the line easily enough.
I like them both (of course), but there's something about Olave that makes me like him a little better. Maybe it's because he came to tOSU as a 3-Star and had to really work to get on the field as a Freshman. Not saying Wilson didn't have to work. But, as a 5-Star, his ascension was expected.

When tOSU absolutely NEEDED someone to make a crucial catch, more often than not that person was Olave. Wilson is a hair faster and a hair more explosive with his jumping ability. But that "hair" is like the difference between two NASCAR cars. Some folks point to the fact that Wilson made more contested catches than Olave. Kind of hard to make those types of catches when your routes and get off are so smooth that oftentimes you're just flat out open.
I'm not making this comparison to say that either Wilson or Olave will have HOF careers. Rather to put them in context. Think of Olave as Swann; silky smooth, quick release, great body control. Think of Wilson as a faster Stallworth. Makes contested catches well, good body control, is not as silky smooth as Olave, but gets off the line easily enough.
I like them both (of course), but there's something about Olave that makes me like him a little better. Maybe it's because he came to tOSU as a 3-Star and had to really work to get on the field as a Freshman. Not saying Wilson didn't have to work. But, as a 5-Star, his ascension was expected.
Love the comparison but Williams is somewhere in between, nah, fack it, higher than this assessment...

😂

Love the comparison but Williams is somewhere in between, nah, fack it, higher than this assessment...

😂
As I've said often enough Berm. It's OK to love Williams too ... just recognize that his development was a product of his time at tOSU. Although he still couldn't get on the field past Olave, Wilson and eventually Smith-Njigba. :sneaky::LOL:

Also a little leary of a WR needy team (the Steelers) using a Round One pick on a WR who won't be available to them for most of the season.

Williams may be the best receiver in this draft. If he fell to 20, he'd be very hard to pass up.
I didn't say I'd pass him up. But, his health and the recovery time would definitely be a consideration. As, I imagine, it has been with the Steelers when discussing their board. Especially in light of the issues Bush and Banner had recovering from their ACL injuries last year. Every player's recovery is different, but could you blame the Steelers if they were a little more cautious about drafting Williams if he fell?

SEC homer here...

I've been pimping Davis and Williams since late December. Just like Najee.

I'd be OVERJOYED if we get either pick because - well, I'd be right - again...

LMAO!!!
You're not the only one who's been pimping Davis..lol. I was thinking how great he would look in black&gold while watching him at Georgia. I'll be thrilled . I'll go buy his damn jersey if the football gods can grant me my wish.

And Davis better be the guy I think he's going to turn out to be. And that's a guy who's going to **** **** up in the middle. Cam,Davis and Watt. Tuitt or Aluala would be huge addition if he can come back and regain form. They could be top 5 defensively.

Anyhow that's my dream.

I would love to pop trade back a few spots, pick up an extra selection and grab Travis Jones if Davis or the top 3 WRs are gone.

Williams may be the best receiver in this draft. If he fell to 20, he'd be very hard to pass up.
Amen...Buckeye is my brother but blind to hate LMAO...but...

Seriously though, 1A, 1B, 1c is so close that none of us would mind the pick if they are there. Dotson isn't too far behind...

I feel the same. Here's how I see their traits compared to former Steelers, for what that's worth.

Olave is like a mix of AB/Swann
Wilson is like a mix of Holmes/Stallworth
Williams is like a mix of Wallace/Bryant