• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fantasy Players Should Sue the 49ers Over McCaffrey

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll start that I don't have McCaffrey anywhere. This has no effect on me personally. It just pisses me off as somebody who has played fantasy for years. You have to rely on injury reports and it appears the 49ers lied or at least a lie of ommission.

Here's an article from NFL.com from Aug 21 downplaying the injury

Here's the key quote - "One thing he isn't worrying about in mid-August is Christian McCaffrey's mild calf issue."

The NFL fined Arthur Smith last year because they didn't properly list Bijan on the injury report and he did play in the game but only sparingly. But somehow they are not going to do anything over the 49ers telliong everybody CMC had a minor injury, and now he's on IR without playing at all.

McCaffrey being out for an extended period will cost lots of people real money. Now before you say this is fantasy football, who cares? The NFL took the fantasy money. They PROMOTE fantasy football. They have deals in place with fantasy football.

In preseason, McCaffrey was reported to have a minor calf injury but it was no big deal, he was good to go and they were just being cautious in preseason. Similar to Russell Wilson. The difference is the Steelers were being honest. Wilson played in preseason and re-aggrivated it.

I could buy that the same happened to McCaffrey except for one thing. He's now listed as calf and achilles. That achilles was not disclosed. That just came out of nowhere. Are we to believe the 49ers had no idea that McCaffrey had an issue with his achilles?

The NFL has said they looked into it and 49ers did nothing wrong. Yeah, like they burned the Pats spygate tapes. Now they keep saying how Christian planned to play week 1. Yeah right. It's a cover up.

Like I said, the NFL took the money. They embrace people betting on their product based on their injury information. It appears that injury info was a lie. People will lose real money over that lie. I really hope somebody pushes this and doesn't let it get swept under the rug.

FF and betting are huge parts of the NFL's viewership/revenue. Of course I want them held accountable.

I do not have L'il Mac on my FF team either.

I have CMC as my feature player. At best, I will have him for the 2nd half of the season. That will be too late and you can't replace a guy like him in regard to fantasy points. He is the best. It sucks but I wouldn't even contemplate suing someone. Any judge should throw this out and make the person or people filing the lawsuit pay for all court and attorney fees.

Meh, the league should just have a league controlled doctor on every teams medical staff to give accurate reports and have players sign a consent to bypass Hippa rules..
that will make the gamblers happy

I have CMC as my feature player. At best, I will have him for the 2nd half of the season. That will be too late and you can't replace a guy like him in regard to fantasy points. He is the best. It sucks but I wouldn't even contemplate suing someone. Any judge should throw this out and make the person or people filing the lawsuit pay for all court and attorney fees.

serious question. Before you drafted, what if you saw CMC had an achilles issue, would you still have picked him?

Some leagues have entry fees of 10 grand or more. If you paid $10,000 and drafted CMC, how would you feel then?

People can laugh it off because they look at fantasy football as a game, but it's not just a game when real money is involved. This would not be frivolous. This would be like a publicly traded company hiding losses from their financial filings.

**** fantasy football!!!!!

Some leagues have entry fees of 10 grand or more. If you paid $10,000 and drafted CMC, how would you feel then?
If anyone pays $10,000 for Fantasy Football there are three things I would say.
1. You can afford to light 10K on fire and it doesn't mean anything to you...no different than betting on ponies or gambling in Vegas.
2. You would have better luck winning at the blackjack table...as injuries are totally unpredictable.
3. You are probably not married, because if I told my wife I was dropping 10K on fantasy football I would need at least that amount for my insurance deductible after she knocks the sense back into me.

The NFL has lacked credibility in accountability for decades. The uneven handling of fines, discipline and even in-game penalties has dramatic effects on outcomes, like all the missed blatant holds on Chiefs big plays in their last SB win.

This differential in access to accurate info will always be a problem. The real issue is that there oughta be a standard that is applied evenly; that does not appear to be true and yet the NFL acts like they have been just and investigated possible injustice. Steeler fans have experienced this regularly; no need to re-hash.

I think the gambling aspect as brought up in the OP is interesting because the NFL enjoys multiple privileges bestowed by Congress. Recall when Sen Specter from PA was hell bent on testimony about Spygate......it will be interesting to see if any external party could justify the NFL's application of internal justice as it clearly damages both the public trust and the best interests of the public.

Until someone forces them, the NFL will continue to act as an unregulated monopoly.

serious question. Before you drafted, what if you saw CMC had an achilles issue, would you still have picked him?

People can laugh it off because they look at fantasy football as a game, but it's not just a game when real money is involved. This would not be frivolous. This would be like a publicly traded company hiding losses from their financial filings.
I would feel like a ******* idiot to have spent 10kon ff

Are the Steelers with Russ Wilson co defendants in this lawsuit?

I mentioned why Wilson is different. He was accurately listed with a calf injury. He actually played in preseason. He then re-injured himself. The Steelers let it be know all week leading up to week 1 that he may not play. By mid-week, nearly everyone assumed Fields would start. His injury was honestly reported.

The 49ers lied. Here's a story from Sports Illustrated that spells out how they lied.

Christian McCaffrey was limited during Thursday's practice due to what the 49ers now call a "calf/Achilles" injury.

This injury isn't new. He suffered it a month ago and hasn't practiced fully since then. But for the past month, the 49ers characterized the injury as just a calf strain. They didn't say anything about his Achilles.

Now that the regular season is upon us, the league mandates that teams be transparent and specific about their players' injuries. So the 49ers have no choice but to reveal the exact nature of McCaffrey's ailment.

If this was 10 years ago, it would be different. Back then the NFL had nothing to do with gambling or fantasy football. They could have hid behind saying they don't owe the public the truth. But Goodell made the league a bunch of prostitutes. Taking any sweaty dollar they can.

That's the point. The NFL took the money. They now endorse and earn money from fantasy football, so they are responsible for giving accurate info to the fantasy football player.

The odds of something happening is remote, but it should. The NFL should apply the same injury reporting rules to preseason that they do for regular season. If the NFL is going to make money from it then they owe people a fair game.