• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Feds Have Social Security Numbers for 6.5 Million 112 Year Olds on File

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
If this wasn't so unbelievably insanely incompetent..it would be funny.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has 6.5 million Social Security Numbers for 112 year olds on file, allowing for “thousands of instances of potential identity theft” or fraud, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) warns.

Even though there are only roughly 35 people aged 112 years or older living worldwide, the SSA has millions of active SSNs for supercentenarians on its Numident, which can be used by others to receive benefits.

Nearly 70,000 of those SSNs were used to report $3.1 billion in wages between 2006 and 2011.

“OI confirmed that illegal aliens were using deceased numberholders’ names and SSNs to work, but U.S. Attorneys in Arizona, Florida, and South Carolina declined prosecution,” the report said.

The agency has had problems with issuing payments to deceased individuals in the past. The agency gave $3 million last year to 14 dead Californians whose SSNs were used by identity thieves.
http://freebeacon.us4.list-manage.c...1bb9bfafcbd472bee2&id=d967d04b22&e=1b60289474

So let me see if I understand this...There are people out there, including illegals, that are using dead people's SSN to do nefarious deeds, even scamming money from the Gov't .....and nobody cares ?

The agency gave $3 million last year to 14 dead Californians

This can't just be SS benefits. That would be $214k+ each. Includes Medicare benefits to the thieves?

I guess, if this were happening in every state, you might get into some real money......