• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Finally have a place to safely store spent nuclear waste!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I know I am a bit of an environmentalist, but this is something that needs to happen for the safety of the entire country. Moving waste to Yucca Mt has been shelved since the 80s, and each individual plant has been storing waste since that time, creating potentially dangerous environmental situations for our entire country.

I am 100% for this and it needed to happen 30 years ago!

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/hou..._medium=social&utm_source=facebook_8_News_Now

Senate will probably **** this up.

I sure as hell hope not!

Hilarious idea to take the waste to Iran. 2 problems, you never want to put nuclear waste in the air, and have a dirty bomb situation if there is a crash, explosion. 2nd our uranium is enriched far greater than Iran's, they could use it to their advantage...

I sure as hell hope not!

Hilarious idea to take the waste to Iran. 2 problems, you never want to put nuclear waste in the air, and have a dirty bomb situation if there is a crash, explosion. 2nd our uranium is enriched far greater than Iran's, they could use it to their advantage...

Not if it is is detonated upon delivery!

close to where I would put it. why not just drop it in the heart of California and then just kinda walk away and see what happens?

Bore holes on land areas of down thrusting subduction zones so the waste returns to the earth's deep mantle. California would be a good place.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2Mi8zMjUvb3JpZ2luYWwvcmluZy1vZi1maXJlLmpwZw==

We have the technology, start digging

That's a really interesting idea Spike.

Are there any subduction fault lines that occur on land? Usually they are where the land meets the sea, as the sea floor slips under the land mass. In this case, the plate that is moving underground, is under water. It would be difficult to do this underwater, having to deal with pressure, water, and possible radioactive contamination of the water.

So to get this idea solidified. We deep bore into the plate that is going under the other plate, and use time to wait for the plate to carry the waste to the center of the earth.

How far would we have to bore. I imagine it would have to be on the fault line or pretty close to it as well?

None on land because lighter granite of continents is floating over heavier subducting seafloor rock. Russians dug a bore hole 7.5 miles deep on land, about a 1/3 of the way through granite crust.

but Cascadia subduction zone is closest to us

31F6D83C00000578-3480680-The_San_Andreas_Fault_in_California_has_a_quieter_far_more_dange-m-23_1457374668951.jpg

I got you, so we'd be boring through the top layer of crust to get to the subduction layer.

It'd have to be deep. There's a lot of friction there and that would cause gasses, lava, and water to mix and return to the surface.

I know I am a bit of an environmentalist, but this is something that needs to happen for the safety of the entire country.
Thank god for environmentalists like you looking out for the planet. The rest of us don't care where nuclear wastes are deposited.

I got you, so we'd be boring through the top layer of crust to get to the subduction layer.

It'd have to be deep. There's a lot of friction there and that would cause gasses, lava, and water to mix and return to the surface.

That's the sort of thing that wakes up Godzilla.

well then we create a sun on earth and burn it all up

Nuclear Fusion-Fission Hybrid Could Destroy Nuclear Waste

Physicists at The University of Texas at Austin have designed a new system that, when fully developed, would use fusion to eliminate most of the transuranic waste produced by nuclear power plants.

The scientists propose destroying the waste using a fusion-fission hybrid reactor, the centerpiece of which is a high power Compact Fusion Neutron Source (CFNS) made possible by a crucial invention.

The CFNS would provide abundant neutrons through fusion to a surrounding fission blanket that uses transuranic waste as nuclear fuel. The fusion-produced neutrons augment the fission reaction, impartiing efficiency and stability to the waste incineration process.

3809_nuclear_hybrid_small_2.jpg

https://news.utexas.edu/2009/01/27/nuclear_hybrid