• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Steelers’ 3rd Round Selection, is John Metchie III a Mistake or a No-Brainer?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the Pittsburgh Steelers 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Steelers. Next up…

John Metchie III (Wide Receiver), Alabama, Junior

OVERVIEW:

Heading into the final hours leading to the draft, the Steelers are in need of top talent at the wide receiver position. Of course, there is presumably confirmed WR1 in Diontae Johnson, but the receiver corps needs a boost going into camp. We’ve had multiple conversations suggesting the Steelers are likely going to be calling a receiver in the earlier rounds, but history has shown the Steelers calling a receiver on the second day of the draft; either second or third rounds. With that said, I have a hunch we’ll see the 2022 replacement for JuJu Smith-Schuster’s and Ray-Ray McCloud’s absences called on Friday. Not to mention, don’t be shocked if we see a couple of receivers with different skillsets to find themselves getting calls from Head Coach Mike Tomlin this weekend.

What Will The Steelers Receiving Core Look Like in 2022?

With such a deep receiver class in this year’s draft, there is one blue-blood school that has produced incredible talent at the position. With names like Julio Jones, DeVonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle, and Amari Cooper, the University of Alabama has a reputation for churning out NFL-ready receivers. With a pair of pass-catchers coming off major injuries entering the draft this weekend, there is one who could solve the Steelers’ slot receiver woes going into the 2022 season. That prospect is John Metchie III.

Steelers' Prospect John Metchie III

Possible Steelers’ prospect John Metchie III makes a big play versus Florida (photo via University of Alabama Athletics)

PROS:

Metchie III is a very versatile player on offense. He is able to line up inside or outside of the hashmarks and always seems to be in a good position to make a play on the ball. He’s incredibly athletic and has a pair of good, strong hands. He’s a yards-after-catch (YAC) machine and once he’s in space, he can get to the third level of the defense and make would-be-tacklers miss. He’s shown ability to run a pro-level route tree and is used to that type of offensive scheme. Coming off the line, he has a twitchy explosiveness where he has a great burst off the snap, yet he is able to keep the defender on his toes and trip up defensive backs early in the play. On deeper routes, Metchie III is able to locate the ball in the air and adjust his body to make the catch. He tends to win contested throws and never loses track of the pass. Metchie III has the right qualities as a rookie to be a three-down starter on offense.

Why Would the Steelers Not Consider John Metchie III?​

CONS:

It is worth addressing the elephant in the room. In the 2021 SEC Championship game, Metchie III tore his ACL on a non-contact play and missed the remainder of Alabama’s season. Coming off a successful surgery, Metchie III spoke with the media at the NFL Combine earlier in March and explained his rehab is on schedule and he should be cleared for football action come June. Therefore, teams who are looking at selecting Metchie III are simply relying on what he was able to do in college and are hoping he’s able to translate that into the NFL after suffering a major injury. Needless to say, this is the biggest red flag of Metchie III’s profile. But assuming normal health, he is a bit undersized for an NFL receiver. Especially if he’s lined up inside, he tends to get lost amongst bigger bodies and taken out of the play early on. Between his health history and his size, Metchie III may be considered a flier for where he’s projected of getting called in the draft.

Steelers' Third-Round Target John Metchie III

John Metchie III gets helped off the field at the 2021 SEC Championship games versus Georgia (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

DRAFT PROJECTION: 3rd Round

With Metchie III coming off major knee surgery and not being able to work out at the combine and the Alabama Pro Day, his draft stock is going to suffer. With teams being reliant upon their scouting reports from the last two or three years in college combined with confirmation from doctors of his slated June eligibility, teams are going to be looking at healthier prospects in the first couple of rounds. But in the third round, I think this is a respectable spot for Metchie III to be called. But if his doctors are correct in their prediction, he may be a steal at that point.

Alabama Surgeon not Concerned Over Metchie III’s Recovery

VERDICT:

As a projected third-round selection, I like Metchie III for the Steelers, but no sooner. The Steelers have made it clear they are not cutting any corners in their pre-draft research and that applies to the receiver position as well. I still consider receiver to be a high priority position for the Steelers and expect this to be addressed within the first two days of the draft. Sure, Metchie III is a bit of a risky pick for a third-rounder, especially because the Steelers use their earlier picks on prospects who they think could start in September. Metchie III is a boom or bust prospect, but if the Steelers decide to go with him, I’d lean on the ‘boom’ over ‘bust’ potential given their track record.

Where do you see Metchie III going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

So hard to tell who the Steelers are going to target. I would think Ben that Metchie would be on their radar if no WR was picked in 1 or 2. Skyy Moore would be an option in the same scenerio...

Would love this even if we take a stud WR in the 1st , he is great value in the 3rd. Top 10 talent before the injury.

Metchie III in the 3 has been my favorite mock draft selection for a month. If he does not get the ACL injury in December, he has a very good game against a great Georgia defense, is superb at the combine, and never makes it past pick 40.

Dude would immediately be the Z receiver, and add him to DJ, Freiermuth and Claypool, and teams have a lot of good receivers to worry about now. Yes, please.

If They take a WR I think it’s either Pickens or Moore. With that being said I think Metchie in the 3rd is good value.

absolute no-brainer. not even Coolie could **** this up, if Metchie is there in the 3rd.