• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

‘Ford v Ferrari’ is the climate change horror film nobody needed

Spike

Reaction score
Warning: Unintentional humor ahead.

The critically acclaimed Ford v Ferrari, currently the No. 1 movie in the country, is a celebration of all the American values that got us into the climate emergency and a repudiation of the values we’ll need to get out of it

All the greatest hits of American exceptionalism are baked into the script. Individualism? The central tension of the movie is between Shelby’s desire to do things on his own and the auto company’s habit of succeeding via collaboration. (“You can’t win a race by committee,” Shelby tells Ford at one point, articulating the film’s thesis statement.) Norm-breaking? Shelby and Miles’ masterstroke for winning Le Mans is to swap out their car’s brakes midway through the race, a violation of the spirit if not the letter of the Le Mans rulebook. Xenophobia? Ferrari’s execs are painted as backstabbers who deserve a comeuppance, and frequently their Italian dialogue doesn’t even get subtitles, so uninterested is the movie in their perspective.

White masculinity? There is not a single character of color in the film, and only one female character with a name: Ken’s wife Mollie, played by the appealing Irish actress Caitriona Balfe. In lieu of interiority, Mollie is given a lust for speed to match her husband’s, at one point zooming the family car around a winding suburban road, careening past other cars, while Ken yells at her to slow down.

Of course, we’ve seen all these tropes before — in most sports movies and in nearly every biopic about a Great Man Who Sees Things Differently. Usually it’s possible to squint at a cinematic celebration of individual male greatness and find some virtue or at least some fun in it, if you don’t think about it too hard. But in the self-serious Ford v Ferrari, the dark side of these tropes is tough to ignore — this is a movie that’s literally about burning fossil fuels as recklessly and noisily as possible. America’s dependency on individual convenience, tolerance for rule-breaking, indifference to people of color and everyone else inhabiting our planet, and deference to white male corporate executives are some of the main reasons we’re the biggest carbon polluter in history. But hey, those traits also won us some car races!

Near the end, it looks like Ford v Ferrari is about to make a sop to the value of teamwork. Shelby and Miles’ car is laps ahead of the competition in the 1966 Le Mans, easily on the path to winning the race. Then a sniveling Ford vice president played by Josh Lucas has a suggestion: What if Miles slows down to allow two other Ford cars to catch up to him, and then they all cross the finish line together as a testament to Ford’s greatness? Miles uncharacteristically decides to go along, selflessly stopping to wait for the other Ford drivers before they hit the 24-hour mark. But it’s a trap! Despite Miles’ obvious superiority, one of the other Ford drivers wins Le Mans on a technicality. Take that lesson to heart, kids: You should never sacrifice your own personal glory for the greater good.

As wildfires rage in Australia, a record-breaking hurricane season draws to a close, and meteorologists predict that this year will go down as the second-hottest in recorded history, it’s clear that Ford v Ferrari is the wrong movie for 2019. It would have also been the wrong movie for 2009, 1999, and 1989. It might have seemed OK in 1979, when fossil fuel companies like Exxon knew about the peril of global warming but the American movie-going public did not. Ford v. Ferrari feels like a stinking relic dug up from the bowels of the earth and endlessly refined until it acquired a nice plastic sheen. It should have stayed in the ground.

https://grist.org/article/ford-v-ferrari-is-the-climate-change-horror-film-nobody-needed/

-------------------------

Liberals HATE that this film is a hit!

Unfettered consumption of fossil fuels, and not a single gay, woke, person of color in the cast. Sounds like a cool movie, plus it triggers climate alarmists

They are so blinded by identity politics that they would rather watch a ****** movie that checks all of their identity boxes than watch a good movie that only checks a couple. The average person doesn't give a **** about identity politics but wants to.....gasp.....see good movies with good story, which is why these woke movies are getting 99% critic scores and 15% audience scores. Critics and the media don't care about the quality of the movie, just checking the boxes. I also love that directors think it's a great idea to alienate half of their audience by calling them bigoted and misogynists before the move even comes out, as if people won't be pissed and not see it. It's an obsession that is causing movie studios to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, so I think eventually the woke backlash will happen. In fact I think it's happening already.

And fossil fuels are all natural, organic, perfectly preserved forms of solar energy

They just hate being reminded white men accomplished anything in building modern society

united-notions-climate-change.jpg

Sometimes ya just gotta say NO....ya know ?

Airport Revenues Soar After Allowing Travelers To Pay To Turn Off CNN

article-5133-1.jpg

WORLD—Airports around the world are reporting record revenues after introducing a long-awaited feature: the ability to turn off CNN on television sets in their terminals.

For just one quarter, you can turn off CNN for a full fifteen minutes while you're waiting for your flight, leaving you with the "far superior" experience of just staring at a blank screen.

"At long last," said one man waiting for his flight at LaGuardia as he dropped a few dollars' worth of quarters into the "Turn CNN Off" slot. "Honestly, I might fly more now." He's not alone: airports expect a 426% uptick in traveling over the holidays as flyers no longer have to worry about having the droning words of CNN hosts pounded into their heads for hours on a layover.

The feature has been one of the most-requested by travelers along with the dismantling of the TSA and pretzel bags with more than 3 pretzels in them.

The money-making move has inspired moments of human compassion and unity as travelers lend each other money or leave quarters behind atop the television sets for future travelers to turn off CNN. One anonymous philanthropist at DFW prepaid for over a year of CNN-less travel throughout the terminal.

"It's great to see what humanity can accomplish when we unite," said one man at LAX as he rummaged through his pockets to lend a quarter to a woman who wanted to turn off the CNN screen near her. "Here you go, miss. Enjoy your flight!"

CNN is protesting the move, saying it has cut their viewing audience in half, leaving them with just one.

A similar program is being rolled out in hospital waiting rooms throughout the country.

I've pretty much stopped going to movies. It's been years. I had planned to attend Joker,but never got around to it.

Imagine sitting down to watch a movie and these sort of thoughts are going thru your mind. OMG....Disney only has one lesbian character in Frozen 2!!!!! Where are the people of color in Norway!!!

"Where are all the black people in Dunkirk?!'

That was my favorite

I can't imagine there's any American sport that Obama detested more than NASCAR. All those rednecks driving cars around a track and burning fossil fuels and no kneeling during the anthem.

I've pretty much stopped going to movies. It's been years. I had planned to attend Joker,but never got around to it.

I went and saw Rambo: Last Blood recently. They hated that one too because of Stallone's politically incorrect depiction of the Mexican drug cartels cartels and his handling of them with extreme prejudice.

It seems like she would be happy if they changed the story so Ferrari wins and they had Ken Miles and Carol Shelby played by black dudes.

Climate activists brought Harvard-Yale football game to a stop to protest fossil fuel investments

FDMUtm4.png

I like it when they are reminded of the past.....in pictures no less.

tgRCz8D.jpg

I wasn't planning on seeing this, but I just might now.

It actually has some pretty good reviews.

I wasn't planning on seeing this, but I just might now.

It actually has some pretty good reviews.

I'd like to, maybe tomorrow. My wife's sister is staying with us after she got out of the hospital but she's a gearhead too.

They are pissed that this movie is doing well and woke movies like the new Terminator and Charlie's Angles have flopped hard.

Hollywood is taking a bath on these woke movies. They keep making them because the people in charge only talk to other woke liberals so they get convinced that the world wants to watch a 100 lb waif of a girl battle terminators and a feminist re-boot of Charlie's Angels.

I read a report that the new Star Wars that is in theaters in about a month is still being re-shot and re-edited after test audiences literally laughed and walked out of the screenings. Why? Woke characters and a female lead character that is ridiculously powerful.

It’s a fantastic movie. Bale might get best actor for this. I felt like I was watching history and did not notice the lack of female characters in the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

It seems like she would be happy if they changed the story so Ferrari wins and they had Ken Miles and Carol Shelby played by black dudes.

Might as well change Miles child to a Female and DQ team Ferrari for not passing USA emissions tests in the Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

It’s a fantastic movie. Bale might get best actor for this. I felt like I was watching history and did not notice the lack of female characters in the movie.

Mrs. Burgundy and I saw it tonight. It's excellent. I was alive when this was going on for real but too young to know about it. I'm a gearhead and seen about every car racing movie there is and the racing scenes in this are the best.

I can't imagine there's any American sport that Obama detested more than NASCAR. All those rednecks driving cars around a track and burning fossil fuels and no kneeling during the anthem.
He was to STUPUD to realize racing came about and is still used to test new parts and engineering to their maximum or to their braking point. But enough on the most worthless President who spent 14 trillion dollars and he's nothing ZERO to point at and say at least we have that. Not even newly paved roads. Fu%king unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app