• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Former Steelers Fullback Derek Watt Has Announced His Retirement

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
Last offseason, the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't make an effort to re-sign fullback and special teamer Derek Watt once his three-year contract expired. It was the end of a somewhat disappointing tenure in Pittsburgh. When Watt originally signed, many believed that the Steelers offense was going to be shifting back to smash mouth football, but that never materialized as Watt's usage as a fullback was minimal.

READ MORE

Last offseason, the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't make an effort to re-sign fullback and special teamer Derek Watt once his three-year contract expired. It was the end of a somewhat disappointing tenure in Pittsburgh. When Watt originally signed, many believed that the Steelers offense was going to be shifting back to smash mouth football, but that never materialized as Watt's usage as a fullback was minimal.

READ MORE
That's one way to put it, another, more accurate way, is to say "Derek Watt's signing by Cool Shades failed to live up to promises of what Watt would mean to the team, even though he was brothers with a teammate." So much for Shades "master plan" of nepotism coming through as a successful objective. What an embarrassment. How's that "little meatball" at TE working out?

Tomlin never used him properly.

That's one way to put it, another, more accurate way, is to say "Derek Watt's signing by Cool Shades failed to live up to promises of what Watt would mean to the team, even though he was brothers with a teammate." So much for Shades "master plan" of nepotism coming through as a successful objective. What an embarrassment. How's that "little meatball" at TE working out?
The scheme was the issue. Watt could have been used far better. Hell, all of our players could have been used far better.

What are we going to do without the production of that offensive juggernaut?

The scheme was the issue. Watt could have been used far better. Hell, all of our players could have been used far better.
I don't know, Steeler n Lebanon, I never even saw him lay an effective lead block in his time in Pgh. I remember when they signed him, they spoke of all the ways he was gonna be used on offense, as if they just signed the "missing piece." That was all crap. He never did a thing and obviously the rest of the league felt the same way.

I’d like to take this moment to thank my brother TJ, for without him……. I’d be broke !!!!!!!!!!!!!

salute the nation

I’d like to take this moment to thank my brother TJ, for without him……. I’d be broke !!!!!!!!!!!!!

salute the nation
And I'd like to thank coach Shades, for without his moronic philosophy of adding brothers to teams, I'd also be broke. I made $9.7 million for only being a special teams player - an outrageous #. But the team bragged when signing me on, as if my presence was going to be a real boost to the offense. It wasn't, even by a smidge. Nada. But Shades bull sh---d his way to selling you'all on me. What a joke.

Last edited:
You shouldn't hire friends and relatives just because they're friends and relatives..

You shouldn't hire friends and relatives just because they're friends and relatives..
Coach Cool Shades is a little behind the times here. He overly values nepotism out the kazoo. It's his "secret sauce." I like when Rooney got so sick of it he made Shades do a speech defending the practice (right before he axed a brother).

Yeah I also would like to announce my retirement from the NFL

I'm about 90% retired from it. My interest in the NFL is at a alltime low. Now it looks like college football is going to hell as well.

Which is a good thing. It saves money and gets me thinking about better things to do with my time.

Oh bummer, no fan pension after decades of service... Let's work that into the next stadium deal..lol