• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Found this gem. Bubby’s Steelers

We may catch a lot of flack for "the Steelers of the 80's" but they weren't THAT bad considering we came off being the "best team of all times" in the 70's. This team, for instance, did something the bumbling hack of a coach Tomlin hasn't done in 7 years: They won a postseason game. They beat Houston, IN Houston, in the wildcard and had Denver on the run the next game where they lost a CLOSE playoff game (something else Tomlin can't seem to achieve). This team was not devoid of talent. It had a O line, Lipps, a good D, a running game and Noll running things. They put two 9-7 season together, had one 7-9 year and then exploded for 11 wins in Cowher's 1st season. They had 6 consecutive years in the playoffs, including 1 trip to the Super Bowl in 1995. That team included: Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Lake, O'Donnell, Pegram, John L. Williams, Thigpen, John Jackson, Dawson, Searcy, Steed, Greene, Kirkland, Perry, etc. Cowher DID
inherit some good players.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM
36 minutes only to remember they lost. thanks for posting?
I know- I’ve watched some of these games where the quality was poor. This was pretty descent. Bubby was fun and frustrating to watch. I enjoyed seeing Woodson, Tunch, Webster, Wolfley, Hoge and some Hardy Nickerson action. I forgot how much they hit coming across the middle. Woodson was a hell of a corner

I know- I’ve watched some of these games where the quality was poor. This was pretty descent. Bubby was fun and frustrating to watch. I enjoyed seeing Woodson, Tunch, Webster, Wolfley, Hoge and some Hardy Nickerson action. I forgot how much they hit coming across the middle. Woodson was a hell of a corner
I miss those early Cowher years. Kirkland, Steed, Woodson, LL-OY-D.

I remember the 90’s as those were my earliest memories of the team. Especially Lloyd.
Hard to forget "the most-feared man in the NFL" as he was voted by the players.