• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Freddie Gray case: Charges against three remaining officers dropped

Spike

Reaction score
A massive slap in the face to Obama and his race-baiters, obviously

Freddie Gray case: Charges against three remaining officers dropped

Prosecutors dropped all remaining charges against three Baltimore police officers accused in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in a downtown courtroom on Wednesday morning, concluding one of the most high-profile criminal cases in Baltimore history.

The startling move was an apparent acknowledgement of the unlikelihood of a conviction following the acquittals of three other officers on similar and more serious charges by Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams, who was expected to preside over the remaining trials as well.

It also means the office of Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby will secure no convictions in the case after more than a year of dogged fighting, against increasingly heavy odds, to hold someone criminally accountable in Gray's death.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...i-miller-pretrial-motions-20160727-story.html

39977956.jpg

----------------------

What, no riots yet?

What, no riots yet?

The people in charge of instigating the riots are too busy trying to convince their lemmings in Philly that Hillary is about change and the little man.

The people in charge of instigating the riots are too busy trying to convince their lemmings in Philly that Hillary is about change and the little man.

She's about stealing the change out of the little man's pocket

What was the official explanation of how he died in police custody?Did they ever offer an explanation? I'm not accusing the police of any wrongdoing, I'm just curious what it was that killed him? I searched online for a detailed account of what happened but didn't find one. Somehow on the way to the police station, Gray sustained a spinal cord injury that was so severe that it ended his life. It doesn't say that the vehicle was involved in any kind of accident, so it just seems strange. It says he was handcuffed and shackled, making it difficult for me to envision a scenario where a person would sustain such an injury just riding in the back of a van. Must of been one helluva pothole they drove over.... somebody better get some hot patch in that sucker before someone else dies from hitting that thing.

Last edited:
What was the official explanation of how he died in police custody?Did they ever offer an explanation? I'm not accusing the police of any wrongdoing, I'm just curious what it was that killed him? I searched online for a detailed account of what happened but didn't find one. Somehow on the way to the police station, Gray sustained a spinal cord injury that was so severe that it ended his life. It doesn't say that the vehicle was involved in any kind of accident, so it just seems strange. It says he was handcuffed and shackled, making it difficult for me to envision a scenario where a person would sustain such an injury just riding in the back of a van. Must of been one helluva pothole they drove over.... somebody better get some hot patch in that sucker before someone else dies from hitting that thing.

Yes another life-long criminal is yet again a victim. Police are killing African Americans by the thousands per day. Did his momma (he don't have no father) get invited to speak at the DNC? Just curious.

Has there been one "black leader" offering that perhaps there is a general behavioral problem in these communities that is attracting all this police interaction?

Last edited:
Yes another life-long criminal is yet again a victim. Police are killing African Americans by the thousands per day. Did his momma (he don't have no father) get invited to speak at the DNC? Just curious.

I read he had been arrested many times, but it was all small time drug offenses.... so for that he deserved to be killed with his spinal cord crushed? I am willing to bet that there are at least a few people on this board that have friends or coworkers that have sons with drug problems, and I am equally certain that if they were ever arrested and somehow, while they were being transported to the police station, they mysteriously end up dead with a crushed spinal cord, the reaction around here would be completely different. I work with a guy that thinks just like most of you... everytime he hears one of these stories he figures the guy had it coming so what's the big deal.... The funny thing is, everytime his 40 year old drug addict son gets picked up because the cops see him once again in the part of town known for drug activity and, surprise surprise they find drugs on him, his racist old man accuses the cops of harassment... even going as far to talk to an attorney to see if there was any kind of legal action he could pursue against the police. See his son is sick and has a problem that he needs help for.... but the black guys that get picked up for the exact same **** are piece of **** criminals and it doesn't really matter if the cops off one of them here or there because they " had it comin' " anyway.

Those officers had anal probe investigations with oversight by the feds and were cleared. Again, does the perp bear any responsibility?

They were cleared by bench trial. Agents of the state taking care of their own. If it had been a jury trial I think it's a different story. The fact that the city settled out of court for millions tells you something (different rules in civil court and the defendants must prove they are not liable) a jury potentially doubles or triples the award.

So they are clear of the criminal charges, great. They should still face sanctions from the police department for violating policy and SOP in transporting prisoners. The two that did not buckle him in should be fired and not elligable to work in law enforcement ever again and the rest should be demoted and retrained.

Agents of the state? LOL! This "Justice Dept." would have hanged them if they could have.

Those officers had anal probe investigations with oversight by the feds and were cleared. Again, does the perp bear any responsibility?

For getting arrested.... Yes. For ending up dead .... don't know because I have yet to read a detailed account of how he got his spine crushed riding in the back of a van.

I read he had been arrested many times, but it was all small time drug offenses.... so for that he deserved to be killed with his spinal cord crushed? I am willing to bet that there are at least a few people on this board that have friends or coworkers that have sons with drug problems, and I am equally certain that if they were ever arrested and somehow, while they were being transported to the police station, they mysteriously end up dead with a crushed spinal cord, the reaction around here would be completely different. I work with a guy that thinks just like most of you... everytime he hears one of these stories he figures the guy had it coming so what's the big deal.... The funny thing is, everytime his 40 year old drug addict son gets picked up because the cops see him once again in the part of town known for drug activity and, surprise surprise they find drugs on him, his racist old man accuses the cops of harassment... even going as far to talk to an attorney to see if there was any kind of legal action he could pursue against the police. See his son is sick and has a problem that he needs help for.... but the black guys that get picked up for the exact same **** are piece of **** criminals and it doesn't really matter if the cops off one of them here or there because they " had it comin' " anyway.

I thought I read months ago that he had slammed himself around to try and claim police brutality but I'm not sure where I read it. I agree there has to be at least a theory of what caused his injuries.

They were cleared by bench trial. Agents of the state taking care of their own. If it had been a jury trial I think it's a different story.

The first defendant who went to trial, William Porter, had a jury. The result was a hung jury. Therefore, believing that the outcome would have been different with a jury is refuted by the facts. Additionally, if you poll any group of lawyers and ask whom would you rather have ruling on a criminal case, a judge or a jury, 99% would say a jury. Vastly easier to convince one juror out of twelve of reasonable doubt than a single judge.

The fact that the city settled out of court for millions tells you something (different rules in civil court and the defendants must prove they are not liable) a jury potentially doubles or triples the award.

No, plaintiffs must prove their case, but the burden of proof for a civil case is more probably than not, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that Baltimore settled so early and so easily is very likely a sign of bad judgment on their part. I say this based on the fact that I litigate plaintiff's cases, and know that early settlements - before depositions, a trial date being set, etc. - are generally done only where the case is not very good for the plaintiff and spending a lot of time and money makes sense for neither side.

I have never encountered a defendant willing to spend millions early on to settle a case. The Baltimore officials who spent that money should have some explaining to do.

So they are clear of the criminal charges, great. They should still face sanctions from the police department for violating policy and SOP in transporting prisoners. The two that did not buckle him in should be fired and not elligable to work in law enforcement ever again and the rest should be demoted and retrained.

The judge who acquitted the two defendants pointedly found that Baltimore did NOT have a requirement at the time that prisoners in vans were required to be belted. In fact, the judge noted that the officers followed the applicable policies in place at the time.

Another reason why spending millions of taxpayer dollars to settle the civil suit so early on was a very bad idea. And one would hope that the idiot District Attorney would know that the police followed policy in this incident. But hey, she got to stand on the steps of City Hall and tell rioters, "To the youth of this city, I will seek justice on your behalf. This is a moment. This is your moment."

Hey, she has elections to win in the future. Too bad the dumbfuck has not figured out that the rioters almost certainly don't vote, and the actual voters will remember her incompetence.

Hey, she has elections to win in the future. Too bad the dumbfuck has not figured out that the rioters almost certainly don't vote, and the actual voters will remember her incompetence.
so you're saying that in 4-8 years, she will lead the DNC and be their candidate?

Has there been one "black leader" offering that perhaps there is a general behavioral problem in these communities that is attracting all this police interaction?
It's old whitey's fault. You know, white privilege and all.

The first defendant who went to trial, William Porter, had a jury. The result was a hung jury. Therefore, believing that the outcome would have been different with a jury is refuted by the facts. Additionally, if you poll any group of lawyers and ask whom would you rather have ruling on a criminal case, a judge or a jury, 99% would say a jury. Vastly easier to convince one juror out of twelve of reasonable doubt than a single judge.

No, plaintiffs must prove their case, but the burden of proof for a civil case is more probably than not, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that Baltimore settled so early and so easily is very likely a sign of bad judgment on their part. I say this based on the fact that I litigate plaintiff's cases, and know that early settlements - before depositions, a trial date being set, etc. - are generally done only where the case is not very good for the plaintiff and spending a lot of time and money makes sense for neither side.

I have never encountered a defendant willing to spend millions early on to settle a case. The Baltimore officials who spent that money should have some explaining to do.

The judge who acquitted the two defendants pointedly found that Baltimore did NOT have a requirement at the time that prisoners in vans were required to be belted. In fact, the judge noted that the officers followed the applicable policies in place at the time.

Another reason why spending millions of taxpayer dollars to settle the civil suit so early on was a very bad idea. And one would hope that the idiot District Attorney would know that the police followed policy in this incident. But hey, she got to stand on the steps of City Hall and tell rioters, "To the youth of this city, I will seek justice on your behalf. This is a moment. This is your moment."

I'd say the settlement was paid for political reasons and political reasons only. Something HAD to be done...even if it is not right.

I'd say the settlement was paid for political reasons and political reasons only. Something HAD to be done...even if it is not right.

I believe ark has described the issue perfectly But it's not like it's real money - it's just the taxpayer's money.

I believe ark has described the issue perfectly But it's not like it's real money - it's just the taxpayer's money.

More money..more money

(CNN)Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby is going from prosecutor to civil defendant in connection with the case of the death of Freddie Gray.

On Wednesday, Mosby announced that charges against three officers still facing trial were being dropped. Mosby gave only a statement, but had to leave without taking questions because five of the officers in the case have filed lawsuits against her.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/us/baltimore-marilyn-mosby-officer-lawsuits-freddie-gray/