• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fukushima ready to take over Chernobyl?

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...ippled-fukushima-plant.amp.html?client=safari

Incredibly high radiation levels discovered at crippled Fukushima plant

Published February 08, 2017FoxNews.com
Adam Housley reports from Los Angeles
video
Radiation at Fukushima nuclear plant at unimaginable levels

Newly-discovered radiation levels in one of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant’s reactors are stunningly high, the Japan Times and others have reported. The space is so radioactive that even a robot couldn’t last two hours, let alone a human.

Continue Reading Below

It was on March 11, 2011, that the coastal power plant in Japan’s Fukushima Prefecture was hit by a tidal wave, which not only cut off the plant’s electrical power, also took out the generators that provided its backup power. The natural disaster triggered the meltdown of three reactors at the plant.

The claim is that it will take 40 years to "clean up". Frankly, I bet it takes 80 years.

I doubt we ever see this site properly cleaned up. They put a robot in there to look around and the robot didn't last 2 hours. That's some bad ****. Being right on the water this mother ****** is going to cause even more drama down the road.

Yea. The Pacific ocean is probably far more polluted from radiation than they are reporting.

Yea. The Pacific ocean is probably far more polluted from radiation than they are reporting.

Radiation pollution is an interesting thing, however. Specifically, radiation harms DNA for living creatures, but it does not "travel" as does an oil slick, for example. The water, fish and plant life do not become themselves "radioactive," except to an extraordinarily small degree and a very, very brief time.

Therefore, the harm is limited on a geographic basis.

The real problem is that nuclear reactors have a good deal of material with a very long half-life - uranium, titanium, silver, and lead. Therefore, the reactor remains highly radioactive for many years, or even decades. Not until some of the ambient material with longish (20 years or less) half-lives plays out (materials such as chromium, sulfur, and cesium - the material used for the control rods) can the clean-up begin. After that stuff becomes suitably less dangerous or plays out completely, then the remaining materials are a manageably small amount that can be shielded and cleaned up.

Radiation pollution is an interesting thing, however. Specifically, radiation harms DNA for living creatures, but it does not "travel" as does an oil slick, for example. The water, fish and plant life do not become themselves "radioactive," except to an extraordinarily small degree and a very, very brief time.

Therefore, the harm is limited on a geographic basis.

The real problem is that nuclear reactors have a good deal of material with a very long half-life - uranium, titanium, silver, and lead. Therefore, the reactor remains highly radioactive for many years, or even decades. Not until some of the ambient material with longish (20 years or less) half-lives plays out (materials such as chromium, sulfur, and cesium - the material used for the control rods) can the clean-up begin. After that stuff becomes suitably less dangerous or plays out completely, then the remaining materials are a manageably small amount that can be shielded and cleaned up.

Godzilla is gonna eat your ***

My father used to make nuclear fuel rods for reactors years ago.Dangerous gig. The entire property he used to work at was all put into canisters and hauled away after it closed. Lucky for him he never got any good snoots of radiation,but others did.

Turn it into a park. Radiation only makes you stronger, I sprinkle plutonium on my corn flakes in the morning, yum

Wildlife thriving around Chernobyl nuclear plant despite radiation

High numbers of elk, deer, boar and wolves show long-term effect of world’s worst nuclear accident is less damaging than everyday human activity, say scientists

Wildlife is abundant around the site of the Chernobyl nuclear plant, despite the presence of radiation released by the world’s most catastrophic nuclear explosion nearly three decades ago, researchers have found. The number of elk, deer and wild boar within the Belarusian half of the Chernobyl exclusion zone today are around the same as those in four nearby uncontaminated nature reserves.

The findings run counter to previous hypothesises that chronic long-term exposure to radiation would hit animal populations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...und-chernobyl-nuclear-plant-despite-radiation

I read an article that stated radiation was traveling across the pacific. It wasnt at levels found at Fuki but a little above average. I wonder how this might effect fishing industries in alaska and off the coast of california.

I would imagine it would be understated by news media to help save fishing jobs and economy. We may never know the truth.