• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........week 7.................@ Miami

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well this game was the 2022 Steelers season in a nutshell. This team is not good in all 3 phases of football. Add in sub par coordinators on the offense with Matt Canada, Defense with Teryl Austin and Special Teams with Danny Smith. Tie it all together with our Head Cheerleader in Mike Tomlin this is the **** show that is the 2022 Pittsburgh Steelers. Make no mistake about it there is talent on this team to win now but Coaching is a major issue from Tomlin on down to our coordinators.

When it comes to the Offense....it's a young team where everyone is 5 years or less of NFL experience and the only leadership is a young rookie QB making his 3rd NFL start. Pickett didn't look that great tonight but I still think he's better than Trubisky however I don't think you can properly evaluate Trubisky or Pickett as Steelers QB because they have an Offensive Coordinator in Matt Canada who is an absolute imbecile who only uses 1/3 of the football field to move the offense down the field. Except for the last 2 minutes of the game on offense the throwing over the middle of the field is not something Matt Canada's offense does. As a fan it's very frustrating to watch especially tonight seeing your opponent exploit the middle of the football field with more 10+ yd plays than I care to count. Matt Canada's game plan for his offense is just Bizarre. I mean he's asking his Rookie QB to move the offense using only 1/3 of the football field. Pickett is throwing the farthest passes (outside the numbers) gaining the least yardage.

As for the Defense they were getting gashed out there on Defense with passes over the middle of the field....I lost count on the number of 10+ yd passes and rushes the Phins had in the first half but it was alot! I'll give the Defensive coaches credit tonight for making an adjustment that seemed to really stop the Dolphins explosive offense after they lit up the Steelers Defense early. The Steelers DB's dropped 3 INT's (Sutton, Edmunds & Wallace) if I counted correctly tonight....all of them should have been Intercepted. Defensively tonight if 2 of those passes were intercepted it's an entirely different ball game as the Phins got 2 FG's on those dropped INT's. As for Special Teams....how the FRIG can they continue to let Pressley Harvin punt for this team. He's so inconsistent and he showed that again tonight with a 23 yd punt & 31 yd. Yeah he kicked a 57yd punt at the end of the game but for every good punt he makes he punts 2 terrible punts and that helped contribute to the loss tonight. We need a punter who can flip the field for the team and Harvin is not that guy. Any bum off the street can do the job Harvin is doing out there every week. Pickett is certainly taking his rookie lumps.....some terrible throws....I'll take the bad from Pickett now because I do think he's a quick leaner and will get better as the season goes on. Matt Canada is ******* TERRIBLE! The play calling is too predictable. The Steelers need a young offensive genius to breath life into this offense when it comes to play calling and getting the most out of the RAW talent on this football team. Never in my life have I seen an offense only use 1/3 of the football field. I know I sound like a broken record but does anyone else see this? I counted 3 throws inside the numbers before the 2 minute warning in the 4th Quarter and they were all dump offs 1 to Harris & 2 to Freirmuth for about 5 yds total. So our Steeler drop to 2-5 on the season and it's not going to get any better next week as the Steelers visit Philly a place where the Steelers have never played good. It looks like they will be 2-6 going into the Bye week.....as for the rest of 2022 the only thing I can look forward to is Matt Canada being FIRED and I hope it's during the Bye week because he's gotta go!

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Levi Wallace - Shoulder that's being evaluated

Game Balls:
Pat Freiermuth - 8 rec 75 yds good game for Muth
George Pickens 6 rec 65 yds 1 TD.....good game early but as the game wore on watching Pickens he looked like his heart wasn't in it at the end of the game....He appeared frustrated and unmotivated late in the game.....I don't like seeing that in a young rookie WR......a little concerning....Keep your chin up George
Chase Claypool - 5 rec 41 yds including a clutch grab on 3rd & 10 in the 4th QTR to keep a drive going
Myles Jack - 10 tackles tonight.....too many downfield but one of the few bright spots on Defense....he might not look it but he was a good Free Agent Pickup

Game Goats:
Kenny Pickett - 32 for 44 257 yds 1TD, 3 INT's.....2 costly 4th Quarter INT's tonight.....he's learning but damn it's painful....2 TD's 7 INT's.....he looks more like Terry Bradshaw as a Rookie than Big Ben
Pressley Harvin - This guy has gotta go....he's too inconsistent....23 & 31 yd punts tonight really didn't help our cause tonight. Find another G'damn punter please!

FU's:
Matt Canada - Watching Matt Canada's offense is like driving on a 3 lane highway and staying in the far right lane and still trying to pass the vehicle in front of you without changing lanes. This guy SUCKS...from play calling to game plan he's gotta go! I hope it's sooner rather than later. I also think his game plan is really making it hard on our QB's in the 2nd half as Defenses make adjustments knowing the Steelers are only throwing outside the numbers and not over the middle of the field at all.

Last edited:
Admittedly I missed the first quarter and part of the second. I thought the OLine played a solid game,especially pass blocking. There was one important sack given up on a blitz that I saw,but Kenny had time to pass for most of the time. . Run blocking....I am not sold that they are as bad as thought. To me Naj is a great guy,but a certain disappointment on the field. Sure he has the odd 10 yard run. What starting back in the NFL doesn’t? Was that a 4th or 3rd down conversion fail? When he left his feet to the outside and all he had to do was run full blast ahead. It was a big moment.

If they would only run Najee up the middle on early downs with eight guys in the box a little bit more, I think they'd be alright.

More utter stupidity in the game management department from Tomlin, having them rush around and get a play off before the two-minute warning at the end of the first half, with a first-and-goal at the 10. Najee got tackled with 2:20 on the clock. There was no reason on God's green Earth to hurry before the stoppage, especially to call a run (netting 2.5 yards), because that same play after the two-minute warning either takes 40+ seconds off of the clock or forces Miami to use one of their two remaining timeouts.

Can't blame the defense for this loss, although the main difference in the game was interceptions -- the Dolphins held on to theirs, and the Steelers didn't.

Unfortunately, I missed the game. Heading on the road now and have been up for over an hour. Any off Pickett's int's hit the receivers in the hands and bounce off like 2 of his 3 when he came in against the Jets?

Unfortunately, I missed the game. Heading on the road now and have been up for over an hour. Any off Pickett's int's hit the receivers in the hands and bounce off like 2 of his 3 when he came in against the Jets?
No. One, the WR fell down. On the other two you might have thought the DB was the WR. The passes were both awful.

Game ball: The defense. They got torched early, but did a good job after. They more than gave us a chance to win.
Goat: Canada
Fu: Canada
I'm not going to blame Pickett for the loss. He is a rookie QB stuck in a predictable handicapped offense. They only open up when the game is almost over. People had unrealistic expectations for Pickett. I think he looks pretty good all things considered. I am more concerned about pickens attitude. There have been a few games where he has had questionable body language. He has potential to be a monster, but might become another disgruntled WR

Admittedly I missed the first quarter and part of the second. I thought the OLine played a solid game,especially pass blocking. There was one important sack given up on a blitz that I saw,but Kenny had time to pass for most of the time. . Run blocking....I am not sold that they are as bad as thought. To me Naj is a great guy,but a certain disappointment on the field. Sure he has the odd 10 yard run. What starting back in the NFL doesn’t? Was that a 4th or 3rd down conversion fail? When he left his feet to the outside and all he had to do was run full blast ahead. It was a big moment.
It was a 3rd and full yard if not 1.5 yards, I was also baffled by his attempt to dive at the LOS. It was like a lack of situational awareness, as if he thought it was inches to go. It was bizarre and frustrating, idk what Najee was thinking

Did not like what I saw last night out of the rook QB. Not so much the decisions.... The very average at best NFL arm. He's mobile and buys time.... And that's a refesher after Ben lost his mobility.

But the Pennington arm is concerning. On a positive note, that can be worked in the off season with a workout regimen to strengthen the arm.

Defense gave up yards between the 20s, but held for FG attempts after the first touchdown. They kept us in the game. Missed opportunities with the dropped int's, but overall a 16 point outing is a win in my book.

There were a few positives but so many negatives. So aggravating. While the defense made adjustments and finally tightened up, they looked like a HS team in the first quarter. In my half century of watching football, I don’t think I ever saw a team consistently give up such huge chucks right down the middle of the field via the pass. Tua looked like the second coming of Dan Marino.

The offensive line held it’s own, and I hate to say it but I’m beginning to lose confidence in Najee. The one 4th and 1 they converted…Jaylen Warren looked like a wrecking ball. From the moment he took the hand off you could just tell he was going to convert. I don’t think he got another short down opportunity, and I don’t recall Najee converting one. Pickett had plenty of time for the most part, and even one of the sacks given up by Dan Moore, Pickett kinda spun into it.

It’s good to see Claypool string together another good game. He’s coming into his own, and I’m glad the Steelers are saying they won’t trade him. Pickens is a beast, but I agree with Chicoman, you don’t want to see a young guy lose enthusiasm at the end of games.

As for Pickett…there’s a LOT to be excited about. He looks poised, and you gotta believe time will improve his decision making even more. The in booth ref pretty much said it was PI on the first INT…the second one was a head scratcher…and the third, my guess it was miscommunication. Looked like Kenny may have been thinking back shoulder but DJ kept running.

As for the coaching…sucks.

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with picketts arm. On the Int intended for DJ, the DB was breaking on the ball before DJ even turned around. That ball could have been lasered it wouldn't have mattered. It was a telegraphed pass that was read perfect by the DB. They need to open up the offense all game not just in desperation

It was a 3rd and full yard if not 1.5 yards, I was also baffled by his attempt to dive at the LOS. It was like a lack of situational awareness, as if he thought it was inches to go. It was bizarre and frustrating, idk what Najee was thinking

Yeah, and he had a nice little crease to hit. No way the DB is going to stop him short, though I will say Harris has been very disappointing this season in terms of breaking tackles. First hit, down he goes.

I missed most of the second half but couldn't believe no one scored the entire time. I've heard others on this board say Pickett is beginning like Manning. Maybe, but I don't think Pickett is a Peyton Manning type QB. I don't remember what Manning started with but when Ben started as a rookie he had a top notch defense, a running game, a solid OL, and a quality coaching staff. I can't remember who all the WR were but he had a workhorse in Hines Ward. Pickett has none of that and if the supporting cast doesn't improve I think he'll be moving on to a better team when he's a free agent.

I missed most of the second half but couldn't believe no one scored the entire time. I've heard others on this board say Pickett is beginning like Manning. Maybe, but I don't think Pickett is a Peyton Manning type QB. I don't remember what Manning started with but when Ben started as a rookie he had a top notch defense, a running game, a solid OL, and a quality coaching staff. I can't remember who all the WR were but he had a workhorse in Hines Ward. Pickett has none of that and if the supporting cast doesn't improve I think he'll be moving on to a better team when he's a free agent.

Bingo!

Did not like what I saw last night out of the rook QB. Not so much the decisions.... The very average at best NFL arm. He's mobile and buys time.... And that's a refesher after Ben lost his mobility.

But the Pennington arm is concerning. On a positive note, that can be worked in the off season with a workout regimen to strengthen the arm.

Defense gave up yards between the 20s, but held for FG attempts after the first touchdown. They kept us in the game. Missed opportunities with the dropped int's, but overall a 16 point outing is a win in my book.
Not sure what you're looking at -- which plays, specifically, give you the impression that Pickett has a "Pennington arm"?

I'm assuming you were watching at the end of the game. Did you not see the throw over the middle (one of the few) where Pickett lasered it to Freirmuth in a tight window for 21 yards on 4th down? They replayed it several times; that ball was on a rope 25+ yards down the field.

Kenny's arm is just fine. It's his decision-making at times that needs to improve, and I think that will take care of itself with more NFL experience.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're looking at -- which plays, specifically, give you the impression that Pickett has a "Pennington arm"?

I'm assuming you were watching at the end of the game. Did you not see the throw over the middle (one of the few) where Pickett lasered it to Freirmuth in a tight window for 21 yards on 4th down? They replayed it several times; that ball was on a rope 25+ yards downfield.

Kenny's arm is just fine. It's his decision-making at times that needs to improve, and I think that will take care of itself with more NFL experience.

That play stuck out to me as well. I've seen some elite throws from him dead balls accurate.

These guys do not practice and communicate enough.

That's what I really see. That takes time.

The offense itself is complete gutter trash. I would soak that playbook in gasoline and burn it to ashes.

It has zero I would take from it.

I hear 'ya. But we all watch a lot of NFL games and if you give most NFL offenses two or three chances to drive the field and put up a TD, the vast majority of the time the offense is going to drive the field and put up a TD.

Zach Wilson did it against the Steelers, right?

Getting picked off twice in a row was disappointing. Both throws were really bad. Yeah, I get the 3rd and 16 was an issue, but Harris is wide open in the middle for a guaranteed 8-9 yards, he breaks one tackle he is challenging for a 1st down. Going for it on 4th anyway so get an easy 10-12 yards there, don't force the ball.

No. One, the WR fell down. On the other two you might have thought the DB was the WR. The passes were both awful.
The first was just Claypool eating dirt
Tge second he got baited into a jumped route
The third im still trying to figure out… did he just not see the db or was he expecting Dionte to come back for it… did he just short the throw? One thing we have lacked for ages is scramble drill type cohesion between qbs and wrs… it goes back at least to the end of the AB era..

I hear 'ya. But we all watch a lot of NFL games and if you give most NFL offenses two or three chances to drive the field and put up a TD, the vast majority of the time the offense is going to drive the field and put up a TD.

Zach Wilson did it against the Steelers, right?

Getting picked off twice in a row was disappointing. Both throws were really bad. Yeah, I get the 3rd and 16 was an issue, but Harris is wide open in the middle for a guaranteed 8-9 yards, he breaks one tackle he is challenging for a 1st down. Going for it on 4th anyway so get an easy 10-12 yards there, don't force the ball.
He absolutely forced both balls… these were clear rookie mistakes… on the first he could have dumped it off and the second he should have just run with it and gotten out of bounds… he was trying to make plays that weren’t there

Again this is why the coaching book Tomlin used for the Big Ben era is junk with a rookie qb… they need to learn the NFL speed and for a while that can be painful. Asking them to win games with comebacks is a recipe for disaster..

We built no run game, no great oline, and play from behind too much… the one time we got a lead recently, we immediately sat on it like it was a 50 point chasm..,

I'm assuming you were watching at the end of the game. Did you not see the throw over the middle (one of the few) where Pickett lasered it to Freirmuth in a tight window for 21 yards on 4th down? They replayed it several times; that ball was on a rope 25+ yards downfield.

Why don't we try that route with Freirmuth 3 to 4 times a game? Stupid OC!

On the INT when the defender jumped the route... We had marched all the way down the field with short and intermediate routes. Why did we suddenly run on first and second down, setting up the stupid penalties and the 3 and 16? Stupid OC!

Why don't we consider something other than a run up the middle on almost every first down? Stupid OC!

I was hoping for some rookie QB magic at the end, on either of his chances for a 4th quarter comeback. Disappointing. I know he's handcuffed by a god-awful OC, but I'm not sold on the kid yet. I don't give one **** about the Pitt Panthers, so I'm just watching and hoping for something special out of the kid. I honestly haven't seen it yet.

And Diontae.... sometimes a receiver has to turn into a defender. Instead of quitting on the play and watching the defender end the game, consider trying to knock him out of bounds.